Author Topic: Atlas - Rain Gauge Calibration  (Read 2725 times)

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Atlas - Rain Gauge Calibration
« on: October 05, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
Rain gauge calibration for the Atlas is currently undocumented. My rain gauge was under reporting so I wanted to calibrate my Atlas and decided to follow the documented instructions for 5-N-1. The only problem is that the calibration screws on the 5-N-1 are adjusted from the bottom of unit so the directions on which way to turn the adjusting screws is reversed for what is needed on the Atlas. You should follow the calibration instructions for the Rain Gauge 00899.

For the Atlas:
  • Turn screws counter-clockwise to increase rainfall.
  • Turn screws clockwise to decrease rainfall.

Rain Gauge 00899 Adjustment instructions:
Adjustment:
Make an EQUAL adjustment to the two calibration screws, located beneath the tipping cups. Turn screws counter-clockwise to increase rainfall; turn screw clockwise to decrease rainfall.
• To adjust the rainfall reading by 2% turn both screws 1/4 of a turn.
• To adjust the rainfall reading by 4% turn both screws 1/2 of a turn.
• To adjust the rainfall reading by 8% turn both screws 1 full turn.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:44:47 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Atlas - Rain Gauge Calibration
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:06:08 PM »
Ended up making a full (360 degree) turn on both adjusting screws. Glad the Atlas has the ability for users to calibrate the rain gauge. I’m happy now.

Update:
Had .32 inches of rain last night. I now have four stations for comparisons with matching rain totals. My Atlas (.32 inches), 5-N-1 (.32 inches), 00899 rain gauge (.31 inches) and neighbors’ Ambient WS-1001 (.32 inches). Seems like one full turn of the adjustment screws was the answer for my Atlas.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:18:30 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline radioman61

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
In the middle of a significant rain event here...the remnants of Hurricane Michael.  Most of the stations around me are registering between .97" and .99".  My Atlas is reading .66"  As stated in an earlier post, my station is not perfectly level so I have to address that before I start adjusting. 

Offline jdrews

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
One bit of info that was missing (or I'm blind), is the amount it should report after 1 cup of water.

Chatted with support, for the Atlas and its display (model 06061M - still confused why the display mattered), they said it should report 0.61" of rain after 1 cup of water (over a 20+ minute period).

The 5-n-1 and the rain gauge suggested were both expecting over 1"...  Working on adjusting mine - knew something was up after had s small amount of rain last night and it reported zero...

Offline radioman61