Author Topic: Hello and The Vue  (Read 4035 times)

Offline 22Vines

Hello and The Vue
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
Hi,
First, being new to this forum, let me say Hi from Central WA State where the weather can be very interesting at times.  This is an awesome site with lots of good information. Well my VP died after 10 years and the Family misses the weather station (me too), so I am shopping again. I am leaning towards the Vantage Vue.  I do have a couple of questions for all of the experts:

Can the Vantage Vue be mounted directly on top of a 4x4 post or must a pole be attached to the post for install?

Other than optional sensors that can be added onto the VP2, are there any significant differences between the Vue and VP2?

Do I have to have the Datalogger always connected to the PC or can I just disconnect it from the Vue and then connect to the PC?

Lastly, will the Datalogger SW work with Windows 7 64 bit and/or Vista 32 bit?

Thanks for the help!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Hello and The Vue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
Welcome! Lots of good people here to help you out.

First, I mounted my Vue on a 10' 6" galvanized fence post, it sits about 9 feet off the ground. I filled the post with concrete for added rigidity and added 3 guide wires to keep it stable in high winds. Click here for some pictures.http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D3642. They are not designed to mount to a 4x4 post without extra hardware etc to do it that way. I got rid of my 4x4 post after it started to warp and it started messing with the level of the station.

Second, I know there are differences between the two but not significant to really matter one way or the other. The specs for the sensors are identical.

Third, the data logger does not have to stay connected to the pc but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to.

Fourth, yes, it will work with Vista 32 to my knowledge, not sure about 7 64 bit.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
   Welcome to the forum from Oregon, Ohio on the shore of Lake Erie =D>.  Congratulations on your Vue.  You will love it for sure.

Offline Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »
The major drawback I have found with the Vue is all the sensors an combined in one package so your site has to be a good balance. You can't mount the rain gauge close to the ground and the anemometer up a pole. Still the accuracy seems quite acceptable.

Davis Vantage Vue, WeatherlinkIP
CWOP: DW4391
www.mabletonweather.info

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
I have it working with Vista 64 bit.  So it will likely work with 7 64 bit.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:42:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum from Bloomington/Normal, Illinois ! Congrats on your Vue ! So far all I have seen is glowing reports here.

Offline stumpey

• Sunbury on Thames Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
Another hand up for the Vue :)

Steve
WX Station - Davis Vantage Vue - Ubuntu - Weather Display

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum from Bloomington/Normal, Illinois ! Congrats on your Vue ! So far all I have seen is glowing reports here.

Except for those that want to separate the rain gauge, or add a rain gauge or extra sensors or whatever and really should have purchased a VP2.

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »
I would have to agree with you. I too own the Vue and wish I had gotten the VP2 for the very reasons you said. However not to loose sleep over as I also own the VP2 console and I am going to purchase the VP2 ISS in the near future. I figure I can use the Vue as a mobile station, i.e. vacations or camping.  :-)
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
You can use the VP2 console and utilize all of those sensors with the Vue. I too would have loved to have a max'd out VP2 system but when my previous weather station unexpectedly died, I hadn't been budgeting for a weather station so I got my Vue. But I've been pleased with it so far.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »

Can the Vantage Vue be mounted directly on top of a 4x4 post or must a pole be attached to the post for install?

Welcome aboard the forum!   I'm located in  Va.  I have mine mounted on the corner of the house/roof area with a DBS satellite antenna mount. So I would think that way would work fine on a post of you had that orma similar mounting arrangement.

I will most likely have to go with that sort of mounting arrangement come summer mainly because I'm afraid the roof 's black surface will skew my temp readings..but if not It wokrs great where it is presently.

Good luck with your setup arrangement!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

anything