Author Topic: Any VP2 console hacks to allow the light to be on 24/7 without temp rise?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
I know this has been an issue for awhile.  Anyone come up with an elegant solution?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
It would be nice but I think anything less then changing the light source won't work.
Definite boo-boo on the part of Davis. 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
It would be nice but I think anything less then changing the light source won't work.
Definite boo-boo on the part of Davis.

I am curious how difficult that would be, I'm sure there are much cooler like LEDs out there.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
I'm gonna say the display panel is backlit via an electroluminescent panel, which means you
d have to disassemble the display and replace the backlight panel.  Not gonna be easy.  Replace the console with a 7" tablet.  :)  You can choose the colour.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Granted, it would be nice not to have to, but that's why there's an offset, as the logger creates heat as well. Just turn the light on, let the temp stabilize and put it where you want. I never run my light but use the offset to dial my consoles in to match my thermostat since I can't do it the other way around.

Offline EA1EF

As there are few options let's see two possible:

-improving air convection, opening more section down and up, even taking advantage of convection to force fresh air directly into the sensor area.

-Transfer the sensor below and near an outside air inlet ... this can be done with sht75 ... in some models the sensor arent isolated from board, can try to imitate island cutting newest boards

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
IIRC someone on this forum has added a small fan to the console?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather

I like that idea.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Another approach might be to externalise the temp or T/H sensor. IIRC more recent wireless Envoy consoles have a socket whereby you can connect an external temp or (I think) T/H sensor - ie the regular Davis sensor parts. (IOW they use the socket space that would otherwise be used in a cabled Envoy.)  I've not checked inside a recent 6312 console but it might even have the socket on the PCBA, just not exposed through the case. Or, if the socket isn't there, the relevant connections might be. (NB AFAIK this only applies to consoles made in the last few years.)

So, for anyone prepared to do a little hacking then there are potentially other options.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:03:30 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Granted, it would be nice not to have to, but that's why there's an offset, as the logger creates heat as well. Just turn the light on, let the temp stabilize and put it where you want. I never run my light but use the offset to dial my consoles in to match my thermostat since I can't do it the other way around.
It just goes to bad design.
I'm sure during testing they knew about the light source and logger heat issues. Instead of physically fixing the issue they chose a weak work around with the off set.
That's irresponsible for the execs  at Davis who I'm sure knew about the issue and OK'd it.  You don't knowingly build in anomalies on a $500 plus weather station. 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
It just goes to bad design.
Of course it is. All I'm saying is that there's a workable fix without reinventing the wheel...however, I understand the desire to want to try.

Offline Ladd

Granted, it would be nice not to have to, but that's why there's an offset, as the logger creates heat as well. Just turn the light on, let the temp stabilize and put it where you want.

I too would like to enable the screen light to be always on. It's been a long time since I played with this and forget where to set the inside offset so the inside temp shows correctly.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Granted, it would be nice not to have to, but that's why there's an offset, as the logger creates heat as well. Just turn the light on, let the temp stabilize and put it where you want.

I too would like to enable the screen light to be always on. It's been a long time since I played with this and forget where to set the inside offset so the inside temp shows correctly.
Page 26.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-234_IM_06312.pdf

Offline Ladd

Thanks!

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather

On second thought, a fan is a terrible idea. Barometric pressure is read from the console, and moving air had a lower pressure than static air. I can't find a source for this, but I remember reading that that's why the pressure sensor is inside the console, not out in the station.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
...but I remember reading that that's why the pressure sensor is inside the console, not out in the station.

I doubt that's actually the reason. Much more likely is that pressure can be measured just as easily inside as out and it simplifies the system design to put it in the console. (Temperature is also more likely to be relatively constant inside so less need for significant temperature compensation.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
I have a solution. I will post it here when I have implemented it. Sometime in the next month hopefully.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
I have a solution. I will post it here when I have implemented it. Sometime in the next month hopefully.

Any update here?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I think Bushman's suggestion is the best approach. Now with the WLL and its API someone should come out with an app to tie into that API and have a virtual console.

I can't believe this hasn't happened already. I'm sure someone is working on this right now. Just think of all the themes you could have in this app. One theme could be a VP2 console clone. Then there could be totally new themes that show more information at a glance without pushing buttons.

I bet that if this app comes out, that WLL sales will go through the roof. This would solve the elusive VP3 issue for many.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Doesn't WLL come with an App already?
Mark

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Doesn't WLL come with an App already?

Yes but it hasn't been designed to look like a console. You have to scroll to see all the data. I haven't seen any landscape orientation views for it either. Maybe someone can test that.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
Unless you have a smartphone with a large screen, I do wonder whether there's enough screen real-estate to display an easily legible dashboard without some need to scroll. And especially so if the dashboard has any/many worthwhile graphic items like gauges or windroses etc. It's not so much a resolution issue as what the eye can easily see at eg arm's length distance or more.

A reasonably-sized tablet would be a different proposition though.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
A 5" smartphone could easily duplicate the console.  In fact, IIRC there is an app already like that.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
A 5" smartphone could easily duplicate the console.  In fact, IIRC there is an app already like that.

Well, yes, but I'm not sure anyone would hold up the console display as a masterpiece of clarity and design - it originates in a different era with all sorts of different constraints. There's the potential to do something much better nowadays and ultimately that means more px and/or mm. Surely we shouldn't be satisfied with just emulating a 20-year-old design?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Ladd

I'm still interested in hearing about this!  :-)

anything