Author Topic: Strange graphs & lost data  (Read 903 times)

Offline DAVE Z

Strange graphs & lost data
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »
Hello all,
     I have two computers set up to run Weatherlink. My data uploads to my website   croftonweather.com   One PC is a backup. Around May 3 my power supply died to my laptop so I copied my station folder (The folder that holds my *.wlk files.) to my backup PC and started collecting wx data to it. I bought a new power supply on the 7th and moved my Vantage Pro station  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  back to my laptop. I copied my station folder back to my laptop and started collecting data on it again. I immediately noticed the graphs in my website looking strange. A day later my weekly graph had updated and it also looked strange.
     I have two questions... why do my graphs look like they are displaying two temperature sources at the same time? All my graphs, wind, baro, etc, did the same thing. My monthly climatological summary page had blanks for May 5, 6  and 7. And what is the correct way to move data when switching from one PC to another? Should I move the current wlk file alone or copy the complete parent folder. I sent a screenshot of my graphs.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Strange graphs & lost data
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
Around May 3 my power supply died to my laptop so I copied my station folder (The folder that holds my *.wlk files.) to my backup PC and started collecting wx data to it.
I bought a new power supply on the 7th and moved my Vantage Pro station  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  back to my laptop. I copied my station folder back to my laptop and started collecting data on it again....

What kind of logger? 

How did you copy data from your laptop to the backup PC, if the laptop power supply was dead? 

What did you do about date and time on the two systems?

Offline DAVE Z

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
1.   I assume  data logger is the little rectangular shaped device that plugs into the back of my Vantage Pro 2 and connects to my PC?  My receipt from 2007 calls it a 6510USB.
2.   To get the folder off my dead laptop I pulled the cover off the back of the laptop and removed the SATA drive and installed it in my backup PC.
3.   The time and date on my two computers were identical.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »
I'm "assuming" that there were some files that weren't closed correctly when the laptop died, perhaps leading to some confusion when copied and used on the PC.

When you got the new laptop power supply, exactly how did you copy the files back?  Did you, for instance, do a chkdsk to make sure the SATA laptop drive didn't have any problems?

Oh, and what files did you copy back and forth?  All of them?  or just the .wlk files?  Or ???
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:40:03 PM by dalecoy »

Offline DAVE Z

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »
I did not run a chkdsk when I replaced the laptop hard drive.

I copied the entire folder over. Next time should I just move the .wlk file?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 10:56:38 PM »
I did not run a chkdsk when I replaced the laptop hard drive.

I copied the entire folder over. Next time should I just move the .wlk file?

I don't know.  Perhaps johnd knows?  You're describing an unusual situation.

I do know that having a reasonably-current good backup of the entire folder would work.  One problem here is that the laptop died, leaving things in an "uncertain" state.

anything