Author Topic: Vue console update  (Read 971 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Vue console update
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
Just noticed that there's an update for the Vue to 4.30. I've gotten the download, however I can't get it to upload to the console, it states "problem opening communication port" and the direct download link does nothing as well. :???:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Re: Vue console update
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »
fixed

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:29:17 PM »
Was it worth the effort? I don't "fix" unbroken things.
It's an update, I wanted it. Called Davis, got Bruce immediately, told me to first close out WL (which I stated that that should also be included in the installation instructions, which he agreed), problem solved in 5 minutes, so yes....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
Was it worth the effort? I don't "fix" unbroken things.
It's an update, I wanted it. Called Davis, got Bruce immediately, told me to first close out WL (which I stated that that should also be included in the installation instructions, which he agreed), problem solved in 5 minutes, so yes....
What exactly did "close out WL" entail?
Just like closing any computer window, X marks the spot. ;)

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »

I don't think it was unreasonable of Davis to assume that before updating the firmware on any electronic device one would shut down any software that might be communicating with it! I would regard that as self-evident, for all sorts of reasons.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
I don't think it was unreasonable of Davis to assume that before updating the firmware on any electronic device one would shut down any software that might be communicating with it! I would regard that as self-evident, for all sorts of reasons.

You have never done tech support, have you? :) Nothing is self-evident to some people.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »

You have never done tech support, have you? :) Nothing is self-evident to some people.

Your second statement is absolutely right, of course, and I have done and still do (software) tech support, but I would expect slightly better of people with enough knowledge and competence to have considered upgrading a device's firmware.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

I guess not all of us are competent as you folks are. I'm sure there's nothing floating around in my head that would make me :roll: at your brilliant knowledge base. I'll just move my dumb-ass-back over to the corner where it belongs and continue thumb sucking.

anything