Author Topic: Weatherlink 2, Weatherlink IP, and Meteobridge Questions...  (Read 1529 times)

Offline boldblue737

Weatherlink 2, Weatherlink IP, and Meteobridge Questions...
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
I currently use a Meteostick, Meteobridge, and an Ambient Weather 1401 station. The station is breaking down and I am replacing it with a Davis Vantage Vue and I also ordered a Weatherlink IP (gulp, mistake?). I got the IP instead of USB because I have had all kinds of intermittent issues with my Meteostick/Meteobridge and required a ton of reboots etc. over the years so I just wanted a hands off 100% foolproof way of getting my info onto CWOP and WU (which are accessed by my Rachio irrigation controller) even if it means not using WU rapid fire. QUESTIONS...

1. When I set this all up I will I be using Weatherlink 2.0 since I am a "new user"?
2. My understanding is Weatherlink 2.0 and uploading to WU etc. for "life" was included with my purchase of a Weatherlink IP data logger? True? If so what is the monthly fee option buying me on Weatherlink 2.0? 3. The free upload rate is every 1 minute to Weatherlink 2.0 and then every 15 minutes to other supported sites correct? I saw something on the Weatherlink 2.0 page about every 5, 15, or 60 minutes depending on "plan" which has me confused.
4. I am a Mac user, will I be able to configure my Weatherlink IP from Weatherlink 2.0 on the internet or from the console for firmware updates and setting the Weatherlink IP upload rate? Do I need to find a PC to do this for the initial setup? The import part is I want to get as frequent uploading to WL 2.0 as possible.
5. Finally if I want to experiment with my Meteobridge and try to get back WU Rapid Fire, is there anyway for my to connect the Weatherlink IP directly to the ethernet port on the Meteobridge and then go from there or was the USB logger the only option? I know if I go this route it likely means I overpaid for the solution, but honestly wanted to make sure it works 99.99999999% of the time every 15 minutes on the update rate which is "ok" for me. I'd like the faster rate back if it is rock solid and not to complicated.

PS: When someone figures out (Davis or anyone) how to make a "Davis quality" weather station with *built in easy to use internet functionality* for uploading to any WX site and great looking mobile apps they will make a killing.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:35:33 PM by boldblue737 »

Offline drew

• Shoals Weather
Re: Weatherlink 2, Weatherlink IP, and Meteobridge Questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
I don't think you've made a mistake ordering the WeatherLinkIP. As you stated, it's a total hands-off way to get data online easily. I have 3 Davis stations, 2 with dataloggers linked to pc's and 1 IP. I wish all three were WeatherlinkIP.

1. Yes, you will be using Weatherlink 2.0 when you get everything hooked up.
2. I believe your understanding is correct. I'm not sure if the $47/year PRO plan would still have to be purchased from Davis since you bought the IP. That may be a question for Davis.
3. The update rate for Wunderground and CWOP is 15 mins. The 5, 15 and 60 minute option you mentioned is for the EnviroMonitor which is a cellular update option, but does not affect the Weatherlink 2.0 updates to WU and CWOP.
4. You will be able to configure everything on the web with your Mac for initial setup. Updates to WL 2.0 are every 60 seconds by default, so there is nothing you will need to configure for this.
5. I've never owned a Meteobridge, so hopefully someone else can answer this for you.

Enjoy your purchase!

PS: You can see my weather stations running on WL 2.0 at: http://shoalsweather.net/fhs and http://shoalsweather.net/northflorence
-Drew Richards

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »
5. The WLIP connects to your router, the Meteobridge connects to your router, which may or may not be through another switch/hub etc so in effect both a directly connected. The MB then controls the WLIP as far as uploading to Davis etc. If the WLIP was connected to the MB port then you would have no internet connection for either which totally defeats the purpose. 

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
I think I get it. Both my WLIP AND Meteobridge can be connected via Ethernet to the same switch that then connects to my router. Then the Meteobridge could control the WLIP.

So then here comes question 6...

6. Did I read right that somehow the MB controls the WLIP and then can directly upload to WU and others at the rapid fire rate yet somehow turn off control every few minutes to allow the WLIP to still upload directly to Davis WL 2.0?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »
6. MB can be set to allow a time frame (down to 1 minute) within which WLIP has an opening to upload to WeatherLink.com. MB can upload to WU from a minimum of 5 seconds up 

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
well considering I already have a MB it seems like I made a good choice (assuming I don’t mind having paid the extra money) buying a WeatherLink IP as it can handle “easy” uploads to WU etc every 15 minutes but still let’s me later experiment with hooking it up to my MB and seeing if I can’t get rapid fire updates working.