Author Topic: Which hardware and software?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Parke10

Which hardware and software?
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:23:58 AM »
I guess this is the right place to ask this question :?:

I'm trying to decide which software and hardware to purchase for my VP2 that I just purchased.

Obviously the first step would be some kind of datalogger or connection to the VP2 itself, I've seen multiple options including the member made ones.

Member made option
Weatherlink IP
Weatherlink USB
Weatherlink Serial

Next would be the hard items themselves.

Would I be better off connecting to the console itself?
Envoy instead?

Next would be the internet connection/transmitting hardware

Weatherlink IP- No hardware needed?
Raspberry Pi 3
Intel NUC ( mini low power pc that i would run windows on ) cheaper models offered in Intel Celeron,Pentium, and I-3 which I imagine all would be PLENTY of processing power for weather software.

Lastly would be software

Beyond Weatherlink I've only glanced at a few other options.

As of right now I only see myself wanting to view live or close as possible to live updates as possible via wunderground and my phone. There may be other features that I will want that I'm not aware of just yet abut I'm sure I will be once i get sucked into this hobby. \:D/

Thanks in advance.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Which hardware and software?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
Obviously the first step would be some kind of datalogger or connection to the VP2 itself, I've seen multiple options including the member made ones.

Member made option
Weatherlink IP
Weatherlink USB
Weatherlink Serial
If you can be patient, maybe there will be a WiFi alternate to WeatherlinkIP  ;)

I have the VP2 console but have connected USB logger from Envoy to computer, and a very happy Cumulus user.

With logger to computer and using VVP (unfortunately there are some system configurations where VVP will not work), you can run Weatherlink, Cumulus and other programs.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:51:11 PM »
Have you considered MeteoBridge? Would/could cover most of your options above in a single unit

Greg_M

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »
I've been using Cumulus for a couple of years and am very happy with it. I have been using it with a WMR968.
In the next couple of months I will be moving and setting up an unopened VP2 that I have had waiting for several years (Christmas present). I hope to be able to set up and use Cumulus with that system too.
I will probably be asking for help with that setup.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 01:29:41 AM »
I've used meteohub for years and just recently switched to a meteobridge pro. The meteobridge pro is nice but it's not worth the price IMO. I'd stick with meteobridge on a cheap router.

anything