Author Topic: How does the Osprey Sensor hold up in a harsh environment?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
How does the Osprey Sensor hold up in a harsh environment?
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:56:10 PM »
I'm thinking about jumping ship from Acurite and the WS-2902 get's great reviews and has everything I care about.

My question is how does the sensor suite hold up in a harsh environment. (ie Northern Oregon coast).  We have strong winds, tons of rain and salt air.

Would the Osprey sensor stand a chance?  Is there anything in it that would rust out/corrode?  Are replacement parts available like wind cups?

TIA 

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: How does the Osprey Sensor hold up in a harsh environment?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question as I don't even own a weather station yet (have been waiting to see how the Acurite Atlas series shakes out before I decide what to buy).

But while I have been in learning mode for a year now, one thing I found confusing about the Ambient stations was the functional overlap between the WS-2902 Osprey, the WS-8478 Falcon and the WS-1002 WiFi. They are offered at different price points, so one would think you are buying something extra in build quality, accuracy or function when you pay more.  However, that may not be true. I found these two posts helpful and thought you might find them useful as well since you are considering the Osprey.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33476.msg343880#msg343880
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32598.msg334311#msg334311
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:05:39 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
I made the switch from a Acurite 5in1 to the 2902 at my home five months ago and so far I am very pleased with the unit.  Not yet long enough to determine how will it will hold up, but I have had no issues.  Its great to see the indoor readings reported along with the solar and UV values.

I do miss not having a mobile app, but the web site will scale to a mobile screen just fine.  Also you cannot have additional sensors connected through the WiFi display unit.

I still have a 5in1 in another location and I am debating on replace it with the 2902.  I am waiting on the Elite to come out and see what everyone thinks of it.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline Sharky

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
I'm on the Gulf Coast and have similar interest in salt air longevity. 

My WS-2902 is just a couple of days old.  One obvious area of concern is the battery compartment.  Once I installed the batteries, I gave it a good grease packing before re-installing the cover.  Hopefully that will slow corrosion in that area. 

Offline Y42351

• My weather station
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »
I had to replace my Osprey after a couple of weeks back in December, as the UV/light meter sensor quit. They sent me a new unit, and it's worked fine ever since.
Ambient Weather WS-2902

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
i live about a half mile from the Gulf of Mexico and I've had zero problems. Can't get much more salt air than that!

Offline terk

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
I haven't had mine for long and I'm not in the same environment as you but as far as harsh weather goes, I've had my unit for 6 months and it has worked flawlessly through the winter with many days not getting above -14F and a lot of snow this year too.