Author Topic: Like/Thanks Button  (Read 11456 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Like/Thanks Button
« on: September 30, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
Would it be possible to add a like/thanks button to posts? I've found a number of posts here where I want to give some recognition, but don't see the need to post a one word "Thanks".

Appreciate the consideration!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Like/Thanks Button
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
SMF 2.0 has a feature called Karma
Karma is a feature that shows the popularity of a member. Members, if allowed, can 'applaud' or 'smite' other members, which is how their popularity is calculated.
which (after discussion with the fellow admins a while back) we elected to not enable the feature.  We'd seen other boards where 'Applaud'/'Smite' and Karma scores created undue distractions in the overall environment and were more trouble than boon.

The other 'mods' to SMF would add Facebook integration (not something we want to do).

I suggest you do a short reply to posts you find either exceptionally helpful (or unhelpful) as you are so moved.  The Toast icon UU UU or Applause icon =D> =D>  are also available in a post.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
They always devlove into popularity contests with the cool kids high fivin' each other.

Turns into a real mess and has destroyed more than one board.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
They always devlove into popularity contests with the cool kids high fivin' each other.

Turns into a real mess and has destroyed more than one board.
:grin:

not in favor here. We are pretty civilized most of the time. Easy to say thanks

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:52 AM »
Appreciate the feedback everyone. Thanks!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
Would it be possible to add a like/thanks button to posts? I've found a number of posts here where I want to give some recognition, but don't see the need to post a one word "Thanks".

Appreciate the consideration!
Since I can't upvote or "Like" the above post I'll quote it and give it a "+1".  :-)

I only participate in a few forums but they all have this feature. In one case it was only recently added and it's been well received with no real issues or problems.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »
I'd like to weigh in. I'd like to know more about what troubles a thumbs up or like or karma or whatever it's called can cause.

Here is my plight. I've created a few knowledge base type threads. I've spent a lot of time researching a topic or in depth product how to and then shared in ways to help others. I often feel like I'm talking to myself and wonder if I'm wasting my time. I wonder how many people I'm really reaching and helping. I look at view count but that doesn't tell me how well the information was received. Lots of people don't bother to reply although I'd like them to.

If there was a way for even unregistered users to give thumbs up and have counter that would be good feedback for all the work I put in. I don't need a running total for my user account. I can see where that could turn into a popularity contest. I just want to see this feedback on an individual post basis. It's only pertinent how may people that one particular post helped how many people.

If this existed it would give those that help more fuel to know that their efforts are appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:26:54 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
I'd like to weigh in. I'd like to know more about what troubles a thumbs up or like or karma or whatever it's called can cause.

Here is my plight. I've created a few knowledge base type threads. I've spent alot of time researching a topic or in depth product how to and then shared in ways to help others. I often feel like I'm taking to myself and wonder if I'm wasting my time. I wonder how many people I'm really reaching and helping. I look at view count but that does t tell me how well the information was received. Lots of people don't bother to reply although I'd like them to.

If there was a way for even unregistered users to give thumbs up and have counter that would be good feedback for all the work I put in. I don't need a running total for my user account. I can see where that could turn into a popularity contest. I just want to see this feedback on an individual post basis. It's only pertinent how may people that one particular post helped how many people.

If this existed it would give those that help more fuel to know that their efforts are appreciated.

Well if I could give that a thumbs up or a like I would. I don't actually mind taking the time to say thanks but a like button is convenient. I can do without any thumbs down or negative buttons, I appreciate civility.
George
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 11:11:44 PM »
A thumbs up wont cause too much negativity if any but if it includes a thumbs down then this can cause issues at some stage, i am on the DJI forum (drones) and theres someone thats habitually down voting a few of the longstanding members just because something didnt go his way, but as its a Chinese run forum, little will be done.

I vote a thumbs up or a like button that just shows that the post/reply has been likes by X amount but NOT a dislike button....

PS, i too have asked for this in the past, the problem is, we get so used to Facebook and the ease of the Like button that everywhere else that does not have one just feels odd, for folks that do not use FB or if they do, they dont use it that much then they will not feel the need for the button. Theres many times where i have wanted to just Like a post/reply but felt it didnt warrant any further input.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 11:15:47 PM »

Here is my plight. I've created a few knowledge base type threads. I've spent alot of time researching a topic or in depth product how to and then shared in ways to help others. I often feel like I'm taking to myself and wonder if I'm wasting my time. I wonder how many people I'm really reaching and helping. I look at view count but that does t tell me how well the information was received. Lots of people don't bother to reply although I'd like them to.

For what it's worth, I am in favor of "like" ratings. And I do appreciate your informative posts Galfert. I have learned a lot from your posts. Although I don't (yet) own a weather station, I follow this forum regularly. I am still waiting for the Atlas Elite to be released before I decide what to buy. There are certainly many posts on this forum that deserve a "like" rating. I participate in a few other forums that have ratings and badges, and I think it helps new members sort through the volume of information available on a forum to sort out credible information … just my opinion.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 02:25:52 AM »
Y'all want silly buttons?  Zucker's Web's gots lots of 'em.  This is a place for adults.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:28:47 AM »
the problem is, we get so used to Facebook and the ease of the Like button that everywhere else that does not have one just feels odd, for folks that do not use FB or if they do, they dont use it that much then they will not feel the need for the button.

That silly place has ruined the web and society in general enough.  Don't let it infest this place.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 03:50:09 AM »
And just how on earth will fb affect this forum when it's nothing to do with fb?

FB has many uses, not all bad.....

You cannot please every one.....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 04:29:08 AM »
I am against introducing this feature here, yet I think FB has many good uses and I use it myself - that does not mean I spend hours a day posting about how I went to the toilet, but it is a way of me being able stay in touch with my old friends, organize meetings with each other and also be able to market things freely.

Therefore it is a useful tool when used sensibly. And adding it on this forum is not sensible (IMHO).

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 04:53:30 AM »
I've always thought a better set of emojis would be nice. Not having a thumbs up is odd.
Randy

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 06:32:33 AM »
That silly place has ruined the web and society in general enough.  Don't let it infest this place.

=D> +1!

I've always thought a better set of emojis would be nice. Not having a thumbs up is odd.

WU gold stars would be a nice addition to the site emojis as well.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
I think there must be a misunderstanding, no one i asking for FB to come here, only the idea of of a thumbs up or like option, but, as the admin have already disussed and declined, i suppose what ever is said here is moot anyway :D
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
I think some might be confused as to where the notion originated.  No one ever heard of it before 'that' place.  I resist everything about and from there.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
I thought you said this place is for adults?  :roll:

Nobody has said it didn't originate from FB, I had like buttons on my vbulettin forum back in 2007, I got the idea from FB, we get it, you don't like FB,  not everyone does, but there are a helluva lot that do, it's a great place to post my data for the local community and it's also a good free place to buy and sell, it's not just about a like button ;) if you put the fake news and the chain letter rubbish that goes about to one side, it ends up being a useful platform.

We wernt asking for a Facebook copy, just a a way to acknowledge/give thanks to a helpful/useful/informative thread or comment.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 09:52:15 AM »
Facebook didn't invent the Like button. It was invented by FriendFeed and THEN Facebook copied them. FriendFeed was started by Google employees. FriendFeed is now defunct because Facebook later bought them.
Tele-Pole

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
Never heard of that one lol learn sommat new everyday eh :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
I would too. Some have suggested that it creates a popularity contest but I've seen absolutely no evidence of that in the other forums that have the feature. Maybe it happens on Facebook but I don't go there so I wouldn't know.
I vote a thumbs up or a like button that just shows that the post/reply has been likes by X amount but NOT a dislike button....
+1
PS, i too have asked for this in the past, the problem is, we get so used to Facebook and the ease of the Like button that everywhere else that does not have one just feels odd, for folks that do not use FB or if they do, they dont use it that much then they will not feel the need for the button. Theres many times where i have wanted to just Like a post/reply but felt it didnt warrant any further input.
As someone who doesn't use FB, never has, and doesn't plan to in the future, I still think this is a useful feature for a forum, as you said "Theres many times where i have wanted to just Like a post/reply but felt it didnt warrant any further input."

I participate in a few other forums that have ratings and badges, and I think it helps new members sort through the volume of information available on a forum to sort out credible information … just my opinion.
...And my opinion too.
Therefore it is a useful tool when used sensibly. And adding it on this forum is not sensible (IMHO).
Thanks for sharing your opinion but you seem to be contradicting yourself. I participate in a few other special interest forums like this one. They all have a feature that allows users to "upvote" a post and I've never seen it not use sensibly. Why do you think this forum would be different?

I think there must be a misunderstanding, no one i asking for FB to come here, only the idea of of a thumbs up or like option, but, as the admin have already disussed and declined, i suppose what ever is said here is moot anyway :D
Perhaps but it's worth bringing up every now and then. One of the forums I've participated in for nearly 15 years just added the feature (after numerous discussions like this one) and it's been very well received... and I'm speaking as someone who wasn't too keen on the idea originally.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
Dare I say that someone should create a Post with a voting in it to gauge reception of adding a Like or +1 feature to individual posts????

I think there should be a clear distinction between a Like button that adds points to an individual user rather than just a Like button that elevates a thread to be more noticeable and provide feedback to the author of the post. I agree that the system should not enable popularity contest type metrics.

Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
Forum shouldn't become a place for popularity and adding like or thumbs up buttons is what would happen.  My request is for a simple thumbs up emoji you could add to a response post. Just not big on these which seem over-enthusiastic and can be misinterpreted   =D>  \:D/ UU 
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
Dare I say that someone should create a Post with a voting in it to gauge reception of adding a Like or +1 feature to individual posts????

Again, no.  People FOR something are more likely to vote than people who are opposed or don't really care either way which makes polls and surveys lopsided.

We've been shown that the 'winning' votes aren't always in the best interests of the masses.