Author Topic: Doesn't support acurite very well **solved**  (Read 1694 times)

Offline tygunn

Doesn't support acurite very well **solved**
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
I've been using meteobridge to report my Acurite 5in1 station via the USB display console for a while now. I thought my unit was just starting to fail, as I'd get random reports of rain during the day and the barometer didnt come across.

I chalked this up to poor Acurite quality but it looks like I was wrong.

I just started using the Acurite PC connect software and it has zero issues.  Rain is not being reported with no rainfall.  And the barometer works.

I guess the meteobridge software has some bugs in it. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:13:25 PM by docbee »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Doesn't support acurite very well
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
My MB has been working fine for years with Acurite 5-1.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 01:03:59 PM »
What model of display?

Acurite apparently made some changes that really annoyed the author of VIS Reader.  (I think it started with the 2032c)  He had to make some changes in his software and suggested everyone start using USB mode 4 instead of 3.

I don't know what the alleged changes were, but putting the display in mode USB mode 4 just turns off the internal logger function.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
Thanks for giving that hint as I am not following Acurite product changes that close. Lets see what kind of console is used here...
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline tygunn

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
This is the 01035; an older one from about 5 years ago.

I take it back; its definitely an issue with the console or 5-in-1.

My station just reported 0.5" of rain and a top wind gust of 526.9mph despite it being a calm sunny day.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Offline tygunn

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
My MB has been working fine for years with Acurite 5-1.

I'm guessing mine is just old and has some other underlying issue. 

I'm debating whether I want to jump up to a Davis, or just get another Acurite and try again (they're super cheap, and accurate enough for what I use it for).

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Doesn't support acurite very well **solved**
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »
I've got both  I love the Davis (and other than the stoopid (tm) SuperCrap (sic), and the unexplained death of one of my externel temp/hum units ) it has been fabulous.  But not cheap.  OTOH I am pleasantly surprised by the Acurite.  Especially if you get a proper temp sensor placement.  Hard to beat the price.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline tygunn

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
I've got both  I love the Davis (and other than the stoopid (tm) SuperCrap (sic), and the unexplained death of one of my externel temp/hum units ) it has been fabulous.  But not cheap.  OTOH I am pleasantly surprised by the Acurite.  Especially if you get a proper temp sensor placement.  Hard to beat the price.

I have to admit, the new HD display for the acurite stations looks a LOT nicer than the stock Davis display.  It looks like something from the 80s with all its LCD numbers.

If I ignore the problems I've had with internet reporting of weather for my acurite station, it has actually been more than reliable enough for my needs.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
Davis has Acurite beat on accuracy/precision though.

Offline tygunn

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
Davis has Acurite beat on accuracy/precision though.

Oh definitely.   Acurite really suffers from software reliability issues.

I'm half tempted to just use a camera to read the display on the console and report those values.  Those seem to be rock solid.  Hah.

anything