Author Topic: Anemometer Cable Clean Break... How to Repair?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
Anemometer Cable Clean Break... How to Repair?
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:01:22 AM »
I noticed when I woke up this morning that my console wasn't displaying a wind direction and the speed was at a constant 0 mph (as if the cable was disconnected from the ISS). Didn't have time to investigate before heading off to work this morning. Upon investigating after returning from work late this afternoon, I noticed a clean break in the anemometer cable (see attached image)..... hence the 0 mph and no wind direction displaying on the console. I have no idea how it happened (birds pecking at the wire perhaps?). The wire is secured tightly to the pole with zip ties and the break occurred at the base of the pole. My question is, how do I go about repairing the cable? Is it as simple as splicing the cable and reconnecting the corresponding wires together with wire nuts or should I consider another option?

Additionally, my cups have been sticking slightly intermittently, especially during light winds. From what I've read so far in other threads, it appears contact cleaner my be the best way to try and clean out the area under the cups (after removing them, of course). I've removed the cups before and cleaned it out with a damp paper towel, but the condition has persisted. I know I'm not supposed to use lubricant, so is this the best/safest way to clean out the anemometer?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:04:53 AM by alexstaar »
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline Sooner Al

• Old enough to know better...
Retired NWS ESA/ET
Sys: Davis VP2 (Wireless)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Anemometer Cable Clean Break... How to Repair?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Squirrel?

You can do a butt connector by trimming the two ends back, crimp on a new RJ connector, use an end to end butt and wrap the whole thing with CoaxSeal or two layers of self vulcanizing 3M tape.  I've heard of painting the joint with the stuff in the electrical section of Meanrds Lowes etc that is used as liquid tape or the stuff that you dip the handles of metal pliers and such in to coat them.  I'm not sure if this will waterproof or not.

Finally there are things that are about the size of M&Ms with two holes, one for each end of the wire, that you stuff the wires in and squeeze with a pliers that does the same to the wires as a punch down block does.   You'd have to free up a few inches of slack to get enough to strip the wire back and do the connection.  Some of these little things (sorry I don't know the name) have a waterproofing gel in them, too.  At least the ones that the guy from the phone company (when there were land lines) gave me.  Slick, fast but then you'd have to wrap something over the more bulky end result, too.  And if it has the waterproofing elephant snot in it that squeezes out a wee bit and makes taping a real challenge.

I know the phone guy did this in early winter, dropped the ends down and lasted well into spring under the snow until they could re-bury new line up to my house.  Not a problem and had great internet connection via dial up.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
Here's a link to Utube showing how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c854VnEjHaA

As usual, there is 99% too much talking.  These guys need to learn to use a video editor and that we really don't want to hear them rattle on about things.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
Is it as simple as splicing the cable and reconnecting the corresponding wires together with wire nuts or should I consider another option?
I know I'm not supposed to use lubricant, so is this the best/safest way to clean out the anemometer?
I purposely cut mine to remove the excess 35' I wasn't using then merely twisted the leads together and applied liquid electric tape then wrapped with stretchable electric tape. It's completely water proof, and has worked for several years flawlessly.
As far as cleaning the anny, I use this on every electrical component I own. Fantastic stuff. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:38:33 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone. I decided to splice the wires and reconnect them using splice connectors (found at Walmart for super cheap). I've attached pictures of what I used and my steps.... pretty straight forward. I spliced the wires and used needle-nose pliers to crimp the connectors to the wires. After doing so, I checked to ensure the connection was good from the anemometer to the ISS. I spun the cups and vane around a bit to make sure the values were changing appropriately on the console, and indeed they were. I then securely wrapped the repaired wires with good ol' electrical tape (not the most water tight, I know). Anemometer has been functioning normally since the repair this afternoon.

I'm going to try and clean out the inside of the anemometer using the CRC electronics cleaner as CW2274 mentioned, which I already have a bottle of (used it for some connectors on my car a while back)! Will report back on the results of that whenever I get around to it.
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:03:17 AM »
Next time, these are brill for simple and waterproof fix, look for sommat over your way

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2-way-jelly-crimp-connectors-100-pack-n72dv
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
I then securely wrapped the repaired wires with good ol' electrical tape (not the most water tight, I know). Anemometer has been functioning normally since the repair this afternoon.

Wrap your electrical tape with a product like Silicone Self-sealing tape. If it is out of direct sunlight, it will outlast the cable. It is not too expensive and it is an item that you will find multiple places where it comes in handy. It is a good item to keep along with your duct tape and WD40.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
Interesting. Looks like telephone wiring. Should be easy to replace if needed. All depends on the connectors at each end.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone. I decided to splice the wires and reconnect them using splice connectors (found at Walmart for super cheap). I've attached pictures of what I used and my steps.... pretty straight forward. I spliced the wires and used needle-nose pliers to crimp the connectors to the wires. After doing so, I checked to ensure the connection was good from the anemometer to the ISS. I spun the cups and vane around a bit to make sure the values were changing appropriately on the console, and indeed they were. I then securely wrapped the repaired wires with good ol' electrical tape (not the most water tight, I know). Anemometer has been functioning normally since the repair this afternoon.

I'm going to try and clean out the inside of the anemometer using the CRC electronics cleaner as CW2274 mentioned, which I already have a bottle of (used it for some connectors on my car a while back)! Will report back on the results of that whenever I get around to it.

If you want, I'll mail you some of these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/edmo4363884.php
I'm a Avionics Technician and I have a Sh-boatload of these, all you need is a cheapo auto motive crimper and a Cheap Heat shrink Gun from Harbor Freight or BIC Lighter. Makes for a permanent, Weather proof repair with out the need for tape. Just PM me your Addy, no cost to you.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:04:42 PM by Chief_10Beers »

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:01:58 PM »
I was going to say looks almost exactly like a 2 pair (4 wire) telephone cable (RJ-11)...can get that stuff uber cheap if you need to splice longer sections.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:05:43 PM by azchrisf »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
I was going to say looks almost exactly like a 2 pair (4 wire) telephone cable (RJ-11)...

That's exactly what it is - although there are various qualities and specifictions of that cable available.

anything