Author Topic: Meteoshield for Davis possibly coming  (Read 7059 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Meteoshield for Davis possibly coming
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Thought I would start a new thread about this potentially happening. These guys make a naturally aspirated helical shield which has been getting exceptional reviews even rivals the Davis Fars according to one test reported.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a worry free shield without fan maintenance and still got accurate temperatures. Anyway this is early stages currently I'll update thread upon finding more out. 
They currently are making a shield called Metoshield lite $120 version which is in production to fit other sensors and have an interest in Davis now. Davis stations with thousands of weather enthusiast could become a great market.
https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/solar-radiation-shield-for-weather-station

Scaled Instruments Ryan could be a great USA hookup so sent his link if others have ideas on reducing sensor size or how to get this done the person i'm in contact with is.
email: jan@baranidesign.com

This was lastest email:
Hello Randy,
Can you send me a link where to purchase the Davis sensor so that we can find a solution for it.  We have experience with Sensirion sensors and I would like to see if we could make a similar board...much smaller so that you could interface with the Davis station directly....make a plug and play kit for you guys. 

I would first like to ask if you could send me detailed pictures the the board from both sides so that my technical staff could see if it is worth pursuing or if a modification the shield is the easier option.  We can also try open up a conversation with Davis directly, but I would first need a prototype to show them.

Thank you in advance,
Jan

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:20:23 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline JudinNorman

Re: Meteoshield for Davis possibly coming
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
Why won't the Davis sensors fit in the shield?  The davis temp sensor and the temp/hum sensor without the big screen filter should fit per the specs I read on the link provided.

Jud

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »
To save people time, below is copy from the link Randy provided above. Sounds like a great possibility for the Davis line.

Official USA distributor of the BARANI sensor brand

allMETEO is the USA official distributor of the BARANI sensor brand, whose roots are from from upstate NY.

BARANI is specialized in precise and reliable atmospheric measurement. Research & Development focuses on achieving long term stability of temperature, humidity and wind measurement. Sensors are designed for ease of use and interchangeability for onsite service. They are used in Meteorology & Climatology, Wind Energy, Aviation Systems, Road Weather Information Systems, Marine Systems, Hydrology, Solar Systems and Industrial systems.

The Barani website is reachable here: https://barani.biz/

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:06:15 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
Why won't the Davis sensors fit in the shield?  The davis temp sensor and the temp/hum sensor without the big screen filter should fit per the specs I read on the link provided.

Jud

Humm, I thought it would be too big. I sent them images and measurements also.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
To save people time, below is copy from the link Randy provided above. Sounds like a great possibility for the Davis line.

Official USA distributor of the BARANI sensor brand

allMETEO is the USA official distributor of the BARANI sensor brand, whose roots are from from upstate NY.

BARANI is specialized in precise and reliable atmospheric measurement. Research & Development focuses on achieving long term stability of temperature, humidity and wind measurement. Sensors are designed for ease of use and interchangeability for onsite service. They are used in Meteorology & Climatology, Wind Energy, Aviation Systems, Road Weather Information Systems, Marine Systems, Hydrology, Solar Systems and Industrial systems.

The Barani website is reachable here: https://barani.biz/
Interesting
I like the 1 second updates for wind. Also a built in camera.
Only downside I see is no rain gauge, just a precipitation monitor.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if we had a worry free shield without fan maintenance and still got accurate temperatures.
Especially for those who's access to the ISS is limited. I have no plans of abandoning my fan anytime soon, but would love to see a side-by comparison in my neck of the woods when the wind is calm with triple digit temps.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
The specification sheet for this device (meteoshield) includes the following statement:

"Exceptional water shedding and return to accuracy after rain"

I would assume from this statement that the sensor is inaccurate during rain? Does this make sense? Do others feel their sensors are inaccurate during rainfall? I don't.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:44:51 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »
The specification sheet for this device (meteoshield) includes the following statement:

I would assume from this statement that the sensor is inaccurate during rain? Does this make sense? Do others feel their sensors are inaccurate during rainfall? I don't.

I think all they are saying water doesn't have much influence and no never thought about sensor being inaccurate because outer housing was cooled by rain.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if we had a worry free shield without fan maintenance and still got accurate temperatures.
Especially for those who's access to the ISS is limited. I have no plans of abandoning my fan anytime soon, but would love to see a side-by comparison in my neck of the woods when the wind is calm with triple digit temps.

Me too... Remote sites with accuracy and low maintenance, many northern areas get limited sun already during winter so batteries are prone to die at night after several cloudy days and you actually end up with inaccurate readings until sun recharges batteries.  This happens even with snow covering solar cell.

Plus overall cost savings of unit itself along with low maintenance cost of never needing to replace fan, batteries, large solar cell, electronics board and the list goes on of the advantages.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
Thought I would start a new thread about this potentially happening. These guys make a naturally aspirated helical shield which has been getting exceptional reviews even rivals the Davis Fars according to one test reported.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a worry free shield without fan maintenance and still got accurate temperatures. Anyway this is early stages currently I'll update thread upon finding more out. 
They currently are making a shield called Metoshield lite $120 version which is in production to fit other sensors and have an interest in Davis now. Davis stations with thousands of weather enthusiast could become a great market.
https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/solar-radiation-shield-for-weather-station

Scaled Instruments Ryan could be a great USA hookup so sent his link if others have ideas on reducing sensor size or how to get this done the person i'm in contact with is.
email: jan@baranidesign.com

This was lastest email:
Hello Randy,
Can you send me a link where to purchase the Davis sensor so that we can find a solution for it.  We have experience with Sensirion sensors and I would like to see if we could make a similar board...much smaller so that you could interface with the Davis station directly....make a plug and play kit for you guys. 

I would first like to ask if you could send me detailed pictures the the board from both sides so that my technical staff could see if it is worth pursuing or if a modification the shield is the easier option.  We can also try open up a conversation with Davis directly, but I would first need a prototype to show them.

Thank you in advance,
Jan

Please keep me up to date! Sounds legit!!
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
Sounds like Barani needs to sell his company and the patent to Davis.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »

I too find this curious. Why put such a statement in ones brochure, and frankly to me, degrading your product, unless it indeed has rain issues? If it has no issues, the author needs a lesson in marketing, at least for "in the know people" such as ourselves which they're certainly targeting.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »

I too find this curious. Why put such a statement in ones brochure, and frankly to me, degrading your product, unless it indeed has rain issues? If it has no issues, the author needs a lesson in marketing, at least for "in the know people" such as ourselves which they're certainly targeting.

I wonder if it's not just a language translation issue.

As far as Davis goes I'm not sure how open armed they will be for a product that could potentially cut into sales profits.

But then again if they don't someone else will take a good idea and run with it.
Take the few of us installing robust fans that never die, it's our fix but because it involves electricity just not that popular with the masses, but take a radiation shield that's plug and play a different story.  :-)
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »

As far as Davis goes I'm not sure how open armed they will be for a product that could potentially cut into sales profits.
Good. Competition is always a good thing and Davis, if they want to remain 'top of the heap', best get moving on the VP3, right Ron? :-P

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »

Good. Competition is always a good thing and Davis, if they want to remain 'top of the heap', best get moving on the VP3, right Ron? :-P

Right on! 👌👍

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
Color me skeptical on this matching aspirated shields. I'll still with my fan while you guys perform the experiments. ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
Color me skeptical on this matching aspirated shields. I'll still with my fan while you guys perform the experiments. ;)

Well I am a little septic too.
Email I received this morning they'll be getting in touch later this week after meetings with design staff and technicians if project is viable to pursue. If they do go ahead with project they want to use me as a tester.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »

Email I received this morning they'll be getting in touch later this week after meetings with design staff and technicians if project is viable to pursue. If they do go ahead with project they want to use me as a tester.

My guess is Davis will conclude project is not viable or words to that effect. Keep us posted.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »

My guess is Davis will conclude project is not viable or words to that effect. Keep us posted.

First step is if BARANI even takes on project. Cost of retrofitting shield for Davis sensor & independent test results against Davis FARS shield would play a big role if shield is indeed similar to fars.

Thats where I would come in using data logger and testing like I've done against other passive shields which have all failed.  If the Meteoshield is indeed comparable or even close it could be taken to Davis. I'm sure Davis would do their own test if, (Big If) they are even open to idea.   
This doesn't necessary kill project if Davis doesn't get onboard they can still produce shields for Davis stations. Thousands of Davis stations are in the field and most who step up to Davis stations are looking for accuracy.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »

First step is if BARANI even takes on project. Cost of retrofitting shield for Davis sensor & independent test results against Davis FARS shield would play a big role if shield is indeed similar to fars.

Thousands of Davis stations are in the field and most who step up to Davis stations are looking for accuracy.

Randy, I think first step is Davis evaluating whether they want the help of a third-party to enhance its otherwise perfect VP2. My guess is the Davis engineers have concluded they don't need anybody elses help and won't even contact Barani. I hope I am wrong however but if I was a betting man, I would bet no contact was made or will ever be made with Barani!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:30:06 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »

Thousands of Davis stations are in the field and most who step up to Davis stations are looking for accuracy.

Randy, I think first step is Davis evaluating whether they want the help of a third-party to enhance its otherwise perfect VP2. My guess is the Davis engineers have concluded they don't need anybody elses help and won't even contact Barani. I hope I am wrong however but if I was a betting man, I would bet no contact was made or will ever be made with Barani!

Think you're confused this is the makers of Meteoshield shield Barani not Davis I'm involved with. Doesn't matter to me what Davis does.  Barani will contact Davis if they take on project and all works out. 

And I refer back to previous post #18 what needs to happen.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:46:24 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »
I stand corrected, but the result will probably be the same. Sophisticated users providing suggestions to a third-party generally don't go very far. Let's hope I am wrong.

Offline djwiktor

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »
Hi guys,

as I am already owner of the MeteoShield too, with very good results, I have asked a technical guy from Barani in some other discussion, on how they are moving with the Davis sensor mod for MeteoShield which is currently massively discussed over internet.   And.... sounds very good...  they have already a drawing and are ready for prototype order for the sensor, which will fit to MeteoShield, with direct connection to Davis station. 

So lets see. Hope to see some news here soon.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
Hi guys,

as I am already owner of the MeteoShield too, with very good results, I have asked a technical guy from Barani in some other discussion, on how they are moving with the Davis sensor mod for MeteoShield which is currently massively discussed over internet.   And.... sounds very good...  they have already a drawing and are ready for prototype order for the sensor, which will fit to MeteoShield, with direct connection to Davis station. 

So lets see. Hope to see some news here soon.

Good news I haven't heard back but sounds like its in progress. I know it takes time to get it right.  =D>
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 04:34:48 AM »
Must admit I'm a little skeptical about this shield (which isn't to say that I wouldn't be convinced by some definitive test results). But:

1. The Davis passive shield is recognised as doing a good job when there's a significant breeze blowing to ventilate the shield - let's say 10mph or more.
2. When the wind is close to calm (eg <2-3mph) then no passive shield is going to work as well as a FARS
3. So maybe there would be some marginal benefit of this new shield at low, but significant wind speeds (4-6mph?). That's what any test would need to demonstrate and I think (in the Davis context) that you'd need to run a trial with 3 stations side by side: Standard passive VP2; VP2 with Barani shield; VP2 with FARS. Any other test would AFAICS not be conclusive unless it demonstrates a clear benefit at low wind speeds.

I'm also not clear what the proposal is for the B shield to be fitted in practice? It's presumably not going to fit on a standard VP2 ISS in place of the existing shield (or is that the idea?). More likely it will be mounted separately somehow (how?) and will then probably need a new T/H sensor on a long cable?

NB Not trying to diss the idea at all, more looking to understand what the perceived cost-benefit actually is in practice.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.