Author Topic: Heathkit ID-5001 versions  (Read 1262 times)

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
Heathkit ID-5001 versions
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
Hi All,
   Any Heathkit aficionados on here that would know what makes a C version a C? I know the base was the first and then after issues with the backlight the power supply got reworked and the 5001 became a B version ( I have those instructions ) but I haven't been able to find out what got changed for the C version.

Thanks
Kevin

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Heathkit ID-5001 versions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Seems a long time ago, but I assembled one (nice winter project, did it right and not hurry) and then ordered another near the end of the run of the kit, and got a factory assembled one which had C at the end on the invoice, even though I ordered a kit.

I didn't know it was a revision.  What did they change for the B revision power supply?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
Re: Heathkit ID-5001 versions
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
  I thought the prebuilt units were IDW-5001's and I didn't know they shipped those in place of kits at the end, interesting.

B version lighting mod got higher rated transistors in Q305 and Q306, switched from current foldback to current limited, full brightness limited to about 80%, over all power consumption dropped so it ran cooler.

I guess I'm going to have to track down a pdf of a C model schematic and compare with the original to figure this out, I know that the eprom code was changed at some point to support a newer version of the humidity sensor, I have the stuff to burn a new eprom and I have a copy of the eprom 444-0475-5, I don't know if there was anything past that.

Kevin