Author Topic: Wind gust-console vs WL  (Read 1501 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Wind gust-console vs WL
« on: June 25, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
Not happy. Just got a rogue gust to 38 MPH, which was recorded on the console, but WL shows only 29. Had I not been close to the console when it occurred, I would have never known. I thought WL copied the console verbatim? How many others have been missed?  :evil:

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Wind gust-console vs WL
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
I dont have WL or Davis myself, but in my template I use WL as one of the options for updating the template, it uses the WL XML feed and several times I had users complaining their station shows higher gust than what the template shows (which takes it directly from WL). So my guess is that it either averages it out over some longer period or it just sends it every X minutes and if the gust occurs in between the update interval, it gets lost

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
Not happy. Just got a rogue gust to 38 MPH, which was recorded on the console, but WL shows only 29. Had I not been close to the console when it occurred, I would have never known. I thought WL copied the console verbatim? How many others have been missed?  :evil:
My WL misses gusts (only in the "bulletin" or "summary") when data is being uploaded to my PC, but I can't recall ever missing a gust in my text data files (I confirm gusts in the WL monthly summary with the console max gusts). The only data I've ever noticed being "misses" in my data files is a rare leaf wetness max. I have a heated leaf wetness sensor that functions as precip identification so sometimes if a light shower comes through the console will show a 1 or 2 and yet I'll have straight 0's in my data.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
This NOAA wind gust definition might explain it (from: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ndfd/definitions.htm):

WIND GUST is the maximum 3-second wind speed (in knots) forecast to occur within a 2-minute interval at a height of 10 meters.

Not sure which, if any, standard Davis follows, but the gust may not have been sustained long enough to actually count as a full gust. My guess (assuming there is a time threshold) is that a partial gust would be averaged over time (hence the 29mph value).
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
I looked for Davis' definition of wind gust for the VP2 and couldn't find it. But I could have sworn I read somewhere that a gust, to Davis, must last at least 2.5s (exactly matching their update interval on wireless stations).

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
Here's the WMO definition of a wind gust (https://www.wmo-sat.info/oscar/variables/view/205):

Maximum value, over the observing cycle, of the 3-second running average wind speed

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
This NOAA wind gust definition might explain it (from: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ndfd/definitions.htm):

WIND GUST is the maximum 3-second wind speed (in knots) forecast to occur within a 2-minute interval at a height of 10 meters.

Not sure which, if any, standard Davis follows, but the gust may not have been sustained long enough to actually count as a full gust. My guess (assuming there is a time threshold) is that a partial gust would be averaged over time (hence the 29mph value).
Pretty sure they follow NWS, if not WMO guidelines, but the fact is the console recorded it but not WL. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it as I've never seen this before but will pay a little closer attention for another occurrence. (Then what?)  :-k

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »
I guess what I'm wondering is whether the number that appeared on the console actually counted as a "gust" or just an instantaneous wind speed. We'd need more info from Davis to know for certain.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
My WL misses gusts (only in the "bulletin" or "summary")
As I now look further, this is the case. Under "Reports" 'NOAA this month' got the 38, only the bulletin and summary missed it.  :???:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »
I guess what I'm wondering is whether the number that appeared on the console actually counted as a "gust" or just an instantaneous wind speed. We'd need more info from Davis to know for certain.
The console should reflect the guidelines, after all it's the "brains".

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:55:04 PM »

What archive interval do you have set?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 03:59:59 PM »

What archive interval do you have set?
5 minutes.