Author Topic: Rainwise WS-1000CC  (Read 2430 times)

Offline GPForestry

• Grand Portage Trust Lands
Rainwise WS-1000CC
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
I recently acquired this old unit and the rooftop (precipitation, wind speed/direction) sensor connection was no longer registering.. well the precip wasnt working but wind does work.  I checked out the connection and it turns out the previous owners used electrical tape to weather proof the pcb/connector piece.  I am wondering if anyone can help me get my precip data back!
I am thinking maybe I can just solder the 2 pins back in place, but the backside of the chip makes me worried

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
Re: Rainwise WS-1000CC
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »
I see nothing there that can't be fixed, you just need a new connector and some soldering skill. Once you clean off the gunk if you find the the trace is badly damaged and missing in spots then strip some stranded wire and pull out a strand and solder it in laying it across the breaks, once done properly protect it from water and you will be good for years.

Offline GPForestry

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I am new to soldering and weather stations in general but have been doing a lot of research lately.  Do you think it's possible to just resolder new pins onto the broken ones?  I am also having trouble finding the connector I need,  any suggestions?

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
With them eaten away like that I'm not sure you will find enough left in the connector to attach to, plus when you try to solder to whats left of the pin the connector will start to melt. Molex makes right angle connectors similar to yours, as long as you got the same pin spacing you might get by using one. What plugs into it? another board or a cable, if a cable you could remove the connector and then cut the wires from the other cable one at a time and solder them to the board using the holes the damaged connector was using... what ever you do try and get a smaller soldering iron not a monster gun type.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »
here is a pdf showing the molex connectors... if yours is .1" or .156" spacing you might be in luck... http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/647/3141.pdf

Offline GPForestry

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Thank you so much for the info. To answer your question, it does plug into another cable with the female connector.  So I could just skip getting the molex connector and wire each cable directly into the pcb?

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
sure you could do that, might make it a pain in the future because you can no longer unplug the board to replace or work on it but that is up to you. From experience... plug in the connector before you start and take a picture of it, and then do one wire at a time, you cut the connector off and then it's wait which wire went where? lol