Author Topic: Alternative Drought Monitor Page  (Read 8344 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Alternative Drought Monitor Page
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
This script relies heavily upon the Drought Monitor at UNL.  The top two maps have configurable defaults, the topmost map for the primary state of interest and the next map for the region of interest.  These two maps have mouseover tables that access all state and regional maps in addition to the national map.  You could use your editor's Search and Replace to search for 'mouseover' and replace all instances with 'onclick'(no apostrophes), but clicking with so many available maps soon grows tedious.  That's why the links are currently set to 'mouseover'.

The remaining four maps include the 'Drought Tendency', 'Palmer Index', 'Crop Moisture', and 'Precipitation Needed to End Drought'.  The 'Drought Tendency' map is clickable to display the full size map in a new tab.  There is a also link at the bottom of the page to the Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin PDF.

This script was created by Steve at Dacula Weather, and has been modified by me.  (I can no longer find it on Steve's site.)

There are three settings, the first determines page width, the second sets the default state map, and the third sets the default region.  The default width of 680 works well for a Saratoga template, while 800 works well for dropdown pages of that width.  To set your region, just uncomment the desired default region while commenting out the current default region, and to set your state enter the two letter abbreviation for the desired default state map.

You might prefer the simpler SaratogaWx Page, but this one has a more national flavor.  You can view it here.

Edit 2013 July 11:  The updated script in 'wxdrought_maps2.zip' will clear the browser cache upon loading.  I've noticed that I've had to manually clear the cache in order to see the new data each Thursday.  This version should eliminate that problem.

Edit2 2013 July 11:  I've also included an updated version with Alaska and Hawaii  state maps, 'wxdrought_maps-ak-hi.zip'.  This version allows selection the US as the 'region' to accomodate those areas.

Edit 2013 October 31:  The UNL Drought Monitor has changed their map names and url's.  The old versions are now obsolete and display maps only through 22 Oct 2013.  The new version 3 contains the updated map url's.  Please replace your old version with this new one.

Edit2 2013 October 31:  Version 3a contains a new Monthly Drought Tendency Map and all maps with larger native image sizes now have live links to open the full-size map in a new tab.

Edit 2013 November 11:  Version 3b moves inline styles to an internal style.  This allows customizing hyperlink text colors in one place so your site's normal hyperlink color can be optionally restored.  No functional change was made in this version.

Edit 2013 December 27:  Added the Animations Package, wxdroughtmongif12.zip, that can display all current and past animations.

Edit 2014 April 10:  Modified the Animations Package to include the current year once the Twelve Week Animation's coverage becomes insufficient.  This is in the 'wxdroughtmongif12a.zip' package which is otherwise unchanged.

Edit 2017 October 16:  Removed attached outdated zip files.  The script(s) can be gotten by using these links.  Right-click on the source and 'Save as' not a 'txt' file but a 'php' file.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:31:45 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Drought Monitor Page
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
Me like!
Thanks.
Out of curiosity... What template are you using for your site?

TIA.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:13:00 AM by xcom »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
Re: Drought Monitor Page
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »
You mean Dashboard?  It's a customized version of Scott Thompson's ajax-dashboard681.  Some of the modifications may make it into Scott's next release.  The template began as a SaratogaWx-USA template using Weather Display data.  The site has since grown as I've adopted, adapted, and created more pages.  It could use some housecleaning and reorganization, but Spring has passed. :-)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Alternative Drought Monitor Page
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
You mean Dashboard?  It's a customized version of Scott Thompson's ajax-dashboard681.  Some of the modifications may make it into Scott's next release.  The template began as a SaratogaWx-USA template using Weather Display data.  The site has since grown as I've adopted, adapted, and created more pages.  It could use some housecleaning and reorganization, but Spring has passed. :-)

Ah yes dashboard.
Thanks for the info.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
I've noticed that Chrome, my usual browser, doesn't flush its image cache upon loading the drought page.  This is particularly troublesome each Thursday AM when the maps are updated.

I've applied Capeweather's fix to the updated script in 'wxdrought_maps2.zip' above so that stale images shouldn't be shown by any browser.  Be aware that the images will be re-downloaded with each page load whether they're fresh or not.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Took a look at your page but it seem that it only includes the "lower 48". Hope that others that are seen on the big map will be included in the list.

Just an observation.

--Stan Y.
    Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Took a look at your page but it seem that it only includes the "lower 48". Hope that others that are seen on the big map will be included in the list.

Just an observation.

--Stan Y.
    Maui, Hawaii

Sorry I gave Hawaii and Alaska the short shrift, Stan!  The wxdrought_maps-ak-hi.zip in the first post above corrects that oversight :-)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 01:01:19 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the update and reply.  Hope to get it up and running this weekend when time permits.  Have to work on my river height pages again also.  From wet to dry data to work on.

Thanks for the inclusion.

Hawaii and Alaska seems to be left out with some of the the scripts that people produces.

Thanks for all again.

--Stan Y.
  Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
Got it running here http://www.sunprairieweather.com/wxdrought_maps.php looks great.

Thanks much Andy
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Worked on your page and seems to be working well at http://www.dwayneyamato.com/wx/wxdrought_maps.php.

Thank you very much for this expanded drought page. 

I have also this page going. http://www.dwayneyamato.com/wx/wxdrought.php.

Just was working on other stuff on my site so it was a "might as well" thingy.

Thank you very much for all and the inclusion of Hawaii and Alaska.

Have a good and safe weekend.

--Stan Y.
  Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
Thanks, great work. Have it working with some mods as not using the template. Looks great and validates even after several changes to get it working. Wondering if it displays correctly for everyone else???

Thanks again, Doug

*Didn't see a 'South' as a default map
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:00:18 AM by DougW »

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »
NOTE:  The UNL Drought Monitor has changed their map names and url's.  The old versions are now obsolete and display maps only through 22 Oct 2013.  The new version 3 contains the updated map url's.  Please replace your old version with the new one attached to the first post in this thread.  My apologies for any inconvenience this change has created.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline BurnsvilleWeather

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
Jerry

Nice work on this script!  Thanks!

Scott
www.BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com (Formally Webster Weather LIVE)
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Davis VP2 with, UV, Solar, Leaf, Web Cam.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
Thanks, Scott.  I've been revising this script this evening to, where available, link the maps to larger images in new tabs, found a few other errors, and added a monthly drought outlook map.  I also tried to save bytes by using variables for repetitive values in the url's.  The result is Version 3a above.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »
Jerry,

I tried to download version 3a and WinZip tells me it is not a valid archive file.  I am using the version 3 now.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
Jerry,

I tried to download version 3a and WinZip tells me it is not a valid archive file.  I am using the version 3 now.

Jay
Indeed you are correct!  Sorry about that, Jay. :oops:  You should be able to open version 3a after downloading the zip in the first post.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
Yea, I had to totally redo my drought page after they changed the links AND changed the image sizes.
http://www.daculaweather.com/4_drought_state.php

Offline jahuff

• johnsnhweather
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »
Jerry,

Got it running here http://www.johnsnhweather.com/wxdrought_maps.php looks great.

Thanks so much.

John

Offline mfd38

• Millis, MA Current Conditions and Forecasts
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »
Yes, nice setup. I did not know it existed until I realized the links had changed and started to poke around the weather watch forum, and then this forum.

Thanks Steve and Jerry for the nice, user friendly script, good work.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:23:25 AM by mfd38 »

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »
Added to the first post the Animations Package, wxdroughtmongif12.zip, that can display all current and past animations.  By clicking on them the animations can be displayed at maximum size in a new tab, or if displayed in wide screen style will display maximum size with no link.

Here is a link to the page.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:26:45 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »
There was a gap in the animated map coverage once week 12 of the year is past.  I've modified the Animations Package to include the current year once the Twelve Week Animation's coverage becomes insufficient.  This is in the 'wxdroughtmongif12a.zip' package above which is otherwise unchanged.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »
It seems the URL's are not working again.. http://gosportwx.com/wxdrought_maps.php
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
It seems the URL's are not working again.. http://gosportwx.com/wxdrought_maps.php
It's working here on my site.  Try updating the script from here.

I'm not sure if you will also need to update the script to display the animations (source here) and it's dependent 'includes' script and 'select' script.  There's a link in the drought maps script to the animations.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:04:21 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
I got it workin again :) thanks for the updates :)
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
I am trying to install the Drought Monitor Script with no luck. I have tried following the most current discussion in this thread, but have not got it to work. It loads with a blank map. Any assistance as to locating a correct script would be appreciated.

You can view my script at scannorthcounty.net/wxdrought_maps.php?sce-view

Thanks,
John
John
Westminster, MA USA

anything