Author Topic: Observer IP Not Connecting Through Dish Network  (Read 2740 times)

Offline gbeyreis

Observer IP Not Connecting Through Dish Network
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »
I need some user assistance troubleshooting my Observer IP module with Dish Network. I can't get it to connect to Wunderground from the location I use Dish although it connects fine when I connect at home through Comcast. I've worked with both Ed at Ambient and Dish but am not making any progress. What I need is for someone who is successfully using an Observer IP with Dish Network or HughesNet Gen4 to do a traceroute to the following IP address and send me a screen shot. The address is: 38.102.137.157

If you need help doing a traceroute, I can provide instructions if you let me know which operating system you use.

TIA

Offline gbeyreis

Re: Observer IP Not Connecting Through Dish Network
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the forum but didn't find anything particularly relevant. I've basically got Ambient Weather and Dish playing a game of "Not It!!" with me in the middle.

I'm actually looking to get answers to two questions, I have; 1) Has anyone successfully used used an ObserverIP with a Dish Network connection and 2) If they have, is their route to Wunderground substantially different than mine.

Ed from Ambient says that the information sent to Wunderground is just a quick little data burst that requires no acknowledgement which makes sense. However, I'm wondering if the server timeouts and long latency in Denver are causing an issue with the login, which I would think would require at least a quick two-way handshake.

Thanks again and the quest goes on.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
Well that' s why  sent you over there to ask.    Probably no one with the weather station but there are some real smart guys on satellite over there. I used to be up on all that I was a Hughes beta tester for many years.     Most probable cause is latency but I remember that there were some ways to work around that with some of the modem setups.   Also some of the modems allow you to change gateways (7000s for sure don't remember about the 9000) and that changes the latency depending on the gateway.   My wx station reported over a 7000 system for many years with no problem  So I am thinking there may be something besides just latency.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
If Ambient uses the same upload protocol for WU as everyone else, it's a simple HTTP Get string just like is sent from your browser.

The details are here: http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol

It might be interesting for you to generate your own upload in a browser using your station and password, the correct time and date, and reasonably close data, and send it from a browser and see what happens.

I have a couple of WeatherElement stations running on satellite with no problems.

Offline gbeyreis

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
 =D> Thank you. That was very helpful. I made a test string and sent it from the house so at least I know that part is right.

Now if I could just figure out a teleport device since it's over 120 miles roundtrip to where the misbehaving weather station is.

Offline gbeyreis

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
The next time you are there setup teamviewer on it.   You will be able to control it from anywhere.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Unfortunately, I don't have a permanent computer setup there which is why I got the 1200-IP system. My Nest thermostat and Logitech Alert security cameras work just fine over IP.