Author Topic: Acurite bridge  (Read 1679 times)

Offline dhageremtp

Acurite bridge
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:44 PM »
Can someone help me trouble shoot this?

Why doesn’t my 5 in 1 show up on MyAcuRite as a sensor available?.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:17:35 AM by dhageremtp »

Offline Flying_German

• Red sky in morning, pilot's warning.
Re: Acurite bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »
Make sure that both devices are on different channels.
The Acurite Bridge "listens" on all three, but you cannot have two
devices on the same channel.
My 5-in-1 is on B and I just tested my "backup system" which is a 3-in-1
on channel A and the Bridge picks it up and shows it as available immediately.
Best Regards

Joerg

Acurite Pro Weather Center with 5-in-1 Sensor Array ca 35' above ground and 10' above roof line.

WU Station ID KWIWATER29

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »

The A/B/C switch setting does not matter as it is ignored by the SmartHUB.

The switch setting is just an aide for the displays to help them tell different devices of the same model type apart.  For example, if you had three 5n1 devices, each would have to be on a different setting in order for a 5n1 display to tell them apart. 

As to the problem the original poster is having, I don't see anything that looks "wrong".  Acurite support may have to look at it from their end.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 12:12:27 PM »
Does the  5-1 show up on your console?  (Assuming you have one)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
Right the ABC switch is for the display has nothing to do with the bridge, I have a 5n1 and two tower sensors all on channel A and they show up fine.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »
Looks to me it's at Acurite's end.......................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Flying_German

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »

The A/B/C switch setting does not matter as it is ignored by the SmartHUB.

The switch setting is just an aide for the displays to help them tell different devices of the same model type apart.  For example, if you had three 5n1 devices, each would have to be on a different setting in order for a 5n1 display to tell them apart. 

As to the problem the original poster is having, I don't see anything that looks "wrong".  Acurite support may have to look at it from their end.

Correct, but what I meant was that both sensors will have to be on different channels.
If they both transmit on the same channel and they transmit at the same time, they "step on each other".
To avoid that, my 5-in-1 is on Channel B and my Backup 3-in-1 is on Channel A.
Best Regards

Joerg

Acurite Pro Weather Center with 5-in-1 Sensor Array ca 35' above ground and 10' above roof line.

WU Station ID KWIWATER29

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
Correct, but what I meant was that both sensors will have to be on different channels.
If they both transmit on the same channel and they transmit at the same time, they "step on each other".
To avoid that, my 5-in-1 is on Channel B and my Backup 3-in-1 is on Channel A.

No.  It has nothing to do with avoiding "collisions".

The sensors always transmit on the same frequency.  The only thing that prevents a collision is timing.  Should a collision occur, that data is just lost, and you have to wait until the timing drifts enough that the signals don't collide anymore.

Also, you have to consider it's not just Acurite's sensors you have to worry about, but any device transmitting on the frequency. 

Fortunately the data lost to collisions isn't a big problem in most cases.

Offline Flying_German

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
No.  It has nothing to do with avoiding "collisions".

The sensors always transmit on the same frequency.  The only thing that prevents a collision is timing.  Should a collision occur, that data is just lost, and you have to wait until the timing drifts enough that the signals don't collide anymore.

Also, you have to consider it's not just Acurite's sensors you have to worry about, but any device transmitting on the frequency. 

Fortunately the data lost to collisions isn't a big problem in most cases.

Ok.
So what exactly is the purpose of the three channels, if the frequency is always the same?
My understanding is, that each channel is a few kHz off from the others, so if you do have something
in your house that transmits on the same frequency, you can dodge that.
I think the manual too states, that if you're having connection issues between display and sensor array,
to change to a different channel, because something else could interfere on that same frequency.
And also, if the two sensors transmissions collide, the rain gauge would miss counts I think.
And if the drift is very little, you might not get anything for hours until the timing drifts apart far enough.
I personally would want to avoid that at all cost.
Best Regards

Joerg

WU Station ID KWIWATER29

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
So what exactly is the purpose of the three channels, if the frequency is always the same?
My understanding is, that each channel is a few kHz off from the others, so if you do have something
in your house that transmits on the same frequency, you can dodge that.
I think the manual too states, that if you're having connection issues between display and sensor array,
to change to a different channel, because something else could interfere on that same frequency.
And also, if the two sensors transmissions collide, the rain gauge would miss counts I think.
And if the drift is very little, you might not get anything for hours until the timing drifts apart far enough.
I personally would want to avoid that at all cost.

As was stated before, the purpose of the A/B/C setting is so the display can tell devices of the same model type apart.  Sometimes changing the channel setting will help it better distinguish an Acurite sensor from a non-Acurite device, though.

The channel setting does nothing to the transmission frequency.  It simply changes some ID bits in the data packet.  You can't even tell what the channel setting was until you receive the data and decode it.

The rain gauge isn't an issue as it transmits a counter corresponding to the number of bucket tips.  The receiver compares the current count and the last previously received count and calculates the rain fallen from the difference.  Using this method, any missed transmissions aren't a big deal, though it might affect your calculated rain rate.  Otherwise, the rain total itself isn't affected.

In practice, collisions don't mess things up for hours.  Maybe a few minutes at worst, but usually less than that.  The sensors aren't in lock-step with each other, and there are slight variances in timing due to component values and operating temperature, so they tend to drift away from each other fairly quickly.

Offline Flying_German

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
As was stated before ...[edited to shorten]... each other fairly quickly.

I was going to ask about the rain gauge some more, but we're getting off topic.
But in the case of your explanation, I got nothing else.
I tried my 3-in-1 together with my 5-in-1 and set both to different channels.
My 3-in-1 showed up in my Bridge as available right away.

Maybe it is on Acurite's side as state further up somewhere...
Best Regards

Joerg

WU Station ID KWIWATER29

Offline dhageremtp

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
I do think it was on Acurites side as it just seemed to start working again..... ](*,)

anything