Author Topic: Bad one today. Added some rain gauge data  (Read 2483 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Bad one today. Added some rain gauge data
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Thunderstorm with 76 mph winds at airport may have been more. Uprooted some large trees, downed power lines even one on fire lots of flooding the good thing hail was small what we had. I recorded 2.11" rain and looks like it killed 2 of my cameras the rain and wind combo may have shorted them out.

Facebook video someone posted this.
https://www.facebook.com/laura.vroman.5/videos/10214225573546488/

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:35:54 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Bad one today
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »
That picture shows the same thing I saw in one of our recent storms.  Large pine tree with no main tap root; surface roots only.  Is that typical?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
That picture shows the same thing I saw in one of our recent storms.  Large pine tree with no main tap root; surface roots only.  Is that typical?

Don't know we had some big trees snap off too.

Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:42:08 PM »
I'm thinking since we've had 20" rain at airport soil is very moist currently.

Thought my telepole was going to break it was bending so far over. Doesn't surprise me it only recorded 60 mph when wind cups were about 45° from the way they should be. I have a guy-wire kit I need to install but been putting it off.  :sad:
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
Lots of trees broke off here too, but none uprooted like that other than that one pine.  Several other pines in the same row along the same road still standing, unaffected.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 08:14:36 AM »
ValentineWeather, sorry to hear/see that damage. We got some leftovers from Nebraska yesterday morning, but it was just a nice half inch rain and nothing else.

Are those trees near your house? :shock:

Take care.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »
In Des Moines we are worried about the next series of storms.  June 30 we had  5 inches of rain in 45 minutes where I am, on the East side they had 7 and just North of town - Ankeny , 10 inches. At the airport 0.25 which is the official total.

The storm sewers couldn't take the run off, so  they dumped into the sanitary sewers which flooded many homes that way.  We lost everything in the basement which were stored there, except for my work bench. The furnance, washer/dryer were  good, no water, but the water heater needed to be replaced.    Over 6,000 homes have been significantly damaged that the people lost everything. So far the Feds haven't stepped in.

We are to be having some good amounts of rain, but after reading the thread, that heat wave on June 30  produced some whoppers here.   The rain was wind driven and a lot in a short time.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
ValentineWeather, sorry to hear/see that damage. We got some leftovers from Nebraska yesterday morning, but it was just a nice half inch rain and nothing else.

Take care.

Thanks, I made it okay just snow fence ripped off but no biggie. Very close many on same block I'm on. Interesting thing you go 1 mile east and very little damage with few broken limbs. Thunderstorms can be strange how narrow damaging winds can be.

Section of cyclone I had a heavy duty plastic snow fence to help with drifting which gets bad in backyard.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »

Take care.
Did you get some good data out of all this?   I didn't get all that much , we had 21.33 inches/hour rain rate, 20 mph gust and 95 degrees with 118 heat index.   don't want that any time soon again.

Thanks, I made it okay just snow fence ripped off but no biggie. Very close many on same block I'm on. Interesting thing you go 1 mile east and very little damage with few broken limbs. Thunderstorms can be strange how narrow damaging winds can be.

Section of cyclone I had a heavy duty plastic snow fence to help with drifting which gets bad in backyard.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
   The rain was wind driven and a lot in a short time.

Yours sound way worse. We had 2.21" and 2 of my HIkvision cameras crapped out. Apparently 75-80 mph winds and rain even IP65 cameras can't survive.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »
   The rain was wind driven and a lot in a short time.

Yours sound way worse. We had 2.21" and 2 of my HIkvision cameras crapped out. Apparently 75-80 mph winds and rain even IP65 cameras can't survive.
the East side of town had it worst. 4 mile creek went out of its banks.  and we did lose one person in the flood.   

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
FYI difference in rainfall gauges, this was a very wind driven storm. Not surprising the NWS gauge caught the most with the tipping buckets unable to keep up even at 4" per hour calibration.

4" diameter cocorahs with modified extra deep funnel for hail catching.......2.13"
8" diameter NWS style made by Novalynx ..............................................2.21"
TE tipping bucket rain gauge calibrated at 4" per hour rate........................2.03"
Rainwise 111 8" tipping bucket calibrated at 4" per hour rate.....................2.02"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:37:34 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Bad one today. Added some rain gauge data
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
Here was the data the envoy8x caught. 18" per hour was rainfall rate. I knew it was coming down.

Randy

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
Here was the data the envoy8x caught. 18" per hour was rainfall rate. I knew it was coming down.

That's pretty impressive.  The highest my station has ever recorded is about 11.5" per hour. (and thinking back on that it might actually be a snow melt event because the date was mid January, which is typically not a huge rainmaker in Oklahoma).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:40:40 PM by BigOkie »
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »

That's pretty impressive.  The highest my station has ever recorded is about 11.5" per hour. (and thinking back on that it might actually be a snow melt event because the date was mid January, which is typically not a huge rainmaker in Oklahoma).

Yes it was really amazing I have data from 2 rain gauges the other was 18.1" peak. I didn't post it because it's the main tipping bucket TE so after the storm I added 11 tips for correction it missed and graph doesn't look as pretty.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:32:25 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

anything