Author Topic: Embed WU radio stream into your own site  (Read 30764 times)

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
Embed WU radio stream into your own site
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:22:57 PM »
I have just begun participating with WU in streaming local NOAA radio to them and was wondering how to take that stream and put it on my site?

I have seen sites that have the WU flash player embedded. I wound prefer that!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
Re: Embed WU radio stream into your own site
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
Do you have an example site?

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 05:30:40 PM »
I'm not sure what you're asking. I going to incorporate it into an existing page.

John
desertweather.com

The site that has the WU flash player is : http://american-fm.org/
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
Quote from: "PSJohn"

The site that has the WU flash player is : http://american-fm.org/

Is this the only site which you've seen the flash player on?

I ask because the code look like something which is co-branded between American FM and WU.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 09:18:39 AM »
If you copy the below code into an html page it should give you the same as your link.

Lonnie

Code: [Select]
<param name=quality value=high>
<embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/radio/radio-player.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="210" height="100" align="left">
</embed>

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 12:08:01 PM »
Is this the only site which you've seen the flash player on?

I ask because the code look like something which is co-branded between American FM and WU.

I think your right. There was one other site, and I can't seem to locate it right now, but like American FM it wasn't a weather related site.

Lonnie, your code worked (Thanks!) but for some reason the player only lists 19 locations!? weird

My NOAA Radio test page: http://www.desertweather.com/NOAAradio.php
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
Ok, I cracked the code...

Code: [Select]
<embed
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
src="http://www.wunderground.com//radio/radio-player-v16.swf"
id="radio-player"
name="radio-player"
bgcolor="#ffffff"
quality="high"
allowscriptaccess="always"
movie="http://www.wunderground.com/radio/radio-player-v16.swf";
flashvars="XMLMode=HTTP&amp;strStreamURL=http%3A//www.wunderground.com/wxradio/requestxml.html%3Faction%3Dgetsinglefromallstations%26stationid%3DCarterLake%7C515%7C11&amp;autoplay=true"
height="100"
width="210">

Where you get the station ID from is:
http://www.wunderground.com/wxradio/requestxml.html?action=getsinglefromallstations&stationid=CarterLake|515|11
(you'll have to copy/paste into a browser)

If you edit, be careful not to remove the ASCII %7C (which is ASCII for pipes | )

I currently have it up as my test page:
http://www.carterlake.org/test.php

Oh and...

According to John Celenza, Director of Weather Technology at Wunderground.

Please feel free to use Wunderground images and data on personal sites, as long as you link those images to Wunderground or give direct credit. Something like "This image courtesy of Weather Underground" is appropriate.

Be sure to give credit where credit is due.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the code. Here is the test page I set up.

http://www.nhweatherdata.com/noaaradiotest.html

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:41:13 AM »
Thank you, that's perfect.

Appreciate the help
John Slama
Palm Springs, California

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »
Still trying to figure out how to get the autoplay to work...

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
Quote from: "carterlake"

Ugh... don't know about others, but I hate it when I open a web page and it starts to play something without my express written consent...  :wink:

(I assume that's what you meant about "autoplay")
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline katlon

• Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:01:47 AM »
Carter Lake
Look at this. I know the code is long but was the only way I could get it to autoplay.

http://pulliamjr.com/test/radiotest.htm

Lonnie

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »
Quote from: "ncpilot"

Ugh... don't know about others, but I hate it when I open a web page and it starts to play something without my express written consent...  :wink:

(I assume that's what you meant about "autoplay")

I tend to agree (MIDI music, ugh!), except when it comes to a page specifically setup for NOAA radio... I think if you click on that, you kind of expect it to start playing.

Quote from: "katlon"
Carter Lake
Look at this. I know the code is long but was the only way I could get it to autoplay.

http://pulliamjr.com/test/radiotest.htm

Lonnie

Yeah, I thought of that... too much code for my liking.

One thing which is stopping me from considering flash is that is requires a download to use... I know most people have flash... but not everybody.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »
One thing which is stopping me from considering flash is that is requires a download to use... I know most people have flash... but not everybody.

You can't please everyone.  :roll:

Chances are good if they don't have flash or java installed, they won't be coming to a web site for NOAA weather radio, if they even know what it is or where to find it in the first place.

I know that sounds knda rude, but think about it for a second......

Bob

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 07:52:14 AM »
Quote from: "racenet"

You can't please everyone.  :roll:

Chances are good if they don't have flash or java installed, they won't be coming to a web site for NOAA weather radio, if they even know what it is or where to find it in the first place.

I know that sounds knda rude, but think about it for a second......

Bob

Or from one of the thousands of large businesses which don't allow flash or Java to run on their machines.

I think I may add the flash player as an alternative though...

http://www.wunderground.com/wxradio/smallplayer.html?stationid=CarterLake|515|11

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 07:59:11 AM »
I almost forgot... another option would be to make your own custom flash player like Ken did at Saratoga Weather...

http://saratoga-weather.org/radio.php

He's using Playa - http://candyscript.com/projects/playa/

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »

Or from one of the thousands of large businesses which don't allow flash or Java to run on their machines.

Then, in that case, I'm sure they wouldn't want their employees playing a NOAA weather radio stream either. So, it's sort of a moot point.  :roll:

Offline Likesspace

• Middleton Street Station
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
Hi guys,
I know this is an old topic, but I've been trying to embed the weather radio script into my web page with no luck.
Each time I try using the code I get an error saying something like " A script you are running is causing Flash 10 to run slowly. If you continue to run this script it could make your system unresponsive".
Now I do get the little NOAA symbol and it does say that it's connecting to my local stations. It just never goes beyond that point and allowing it to run, does cause the computer to become unresponsive.
I've tried viewing the link on two seperate computers with the same results.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd apprecaite the help..

Dave
Zephyr PWS-1000TD with Fan Aspirated SR100 Radiation Shield

Software: Cumulus v 1.8.7

Offline Likesspace

• Middleton Street Station
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »
Hey guys, never mind...
I played around with the code a little bit and got it to work.
Thanks anyway....

Dave
Zephyr PWS-1000TD with Fan Aspirated SR100 Radiation Shield

Software: Cumulus v 1.8.7

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »
Quote from: carterlake

Then, in that case, I'm sure they wouldn't want their employees playing a NOAA weather radio stream either. So, it's sort of a moot point.  :roll:
I'll bet the companies would allow employees to have a NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio.

I did the Athens, Georgia NOAA wx streaming a couple of years ago.  Then I thought; in a disaster, the Internet will be the first service to fail.  My Internet connection & my long term electrical power will quickly fail.  My PC battery back-up is good for only hours.  I quit streaming the signal.
If my site visitors are depending on me to provide them with emergency information, I would have failed them for not being able to provide them with emergency info on their computers.
NOAA provides emergency information over a radio network to receivers specifically designed to be used everywhere even if the citizen has no power.
It's best for all citizens to get their own NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio.
At the least you should put an advisory that everyone should have an emergency portable radio with extra batteries available.  Encourage them to depend on that means of emergency instructions and not rely on your site.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »
I did the Athens, Georgia NOAA wx streaming a couple of years ago.  Then I thought; in a disaster, the Internet will be the first service to fail.  My Internet connection & my long term electrical power will quickly fail.  My PC battery back-up is good for only hours.  I quit streaming the signal.
If my site visitors are depending on me to provide them with emergency information, I would have failed them for not being able to provide them with emergency info on their computers.....

You know that thought has crossed my mind as well but I'm still streaming it.  I don't have backup power and my UPS is set to shut down after 5 minutes to save it's power so I can use it to run my DSL modem for use with my laptop on battery if need be.  Even if I did have backup power the DSL and phones drop within a day or two without power once the batteries go dead in the remote terminal and those with cable internet suffer the same weakness probably even sooner if not immediately.  Over the air radio transmission is still the best means to fall back.

Along with the weather radio I recommend people get a scanner and have it programmed to the local HAM frequencies the severe weather spotters use.  Those guys are on battery power portable units and in the worse case they will be there and in this area at least one repeater still in operation that can be heard with a rubber duck antenna even if NOAA and all TV stations are off the air.  The HAMS after all these years are still in my book our last line of defense when communications and electrical systems go down.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 01:44:15 AM »
I agree somewhat that you shouldn't rely on an internet stream as your sole primary choice. Everyone needs a All Hazards Radio so they can't get alerted and the early warning of emergencies. With that said that, the internet stream can come in handy because if you are somewhere where you don't have a radio like work, home, etc. You can still monitor the weather if you know it is suppose to be or get bad. Worse case scenario is if the power went out,  but not everything weather related is going to knock out power. I know here in Texas I get most of my listeners during Winter Weather like ice or snow is coming. Yea I know, sounds strange when we are in Tornado alley, but that just goes to show how comfortable people are with severe weather. So it can come it handy and it is something which is better then nothing.

My Wx PC is dedicated just for weather and runs three HD LCD monitors so I can monitor a lot at one time should things get hairy.  Everything is running on a APC UPS should the power go out and the radio for the stream is AC powered with battery back up in the radio. I have two seperate radios in the office, one for the stream and one for my personal use. I agree with Mark though, even if you do have a weather radio it is possible in worse case scenario that the radio feed could go out and TV too like in a Hurricane or what not like has happened in Houston. So it would be a good idea to have a scanner with HAM freq programmed in.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »
Along with the weather radio I recommend people get a scanner and have it programmed to the local HAM frequencies the severe weather spotters use.  Those guys are on battery power portable units and in the worse case they will be there and in this area at least one repeater still in operation that can be heard with a rubber duck antenna even if NOAA and all TV stations are off the air.  The HAMS after all these years are still in my book our last line of defense when communications and electrical systems go down.

KJ4OFG thanks you for that plug...  :-)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »
We (in Northern Georgia) are under a flash flood watch and hazardous weather outlook.  I'm glad that no one is depending on me for streaming the All Hazards Radio.  
Today, I put red warning banners on my site encouraging people to turn on their weather radios for flooding & heavy rain details.
I did the NOAA radio streaming a few years ago and quit.  I'm glad that people have their own radios.  Mine is a First Alert WX-167 & Radio Shack 12-152A.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:19:24 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:59 AM »
I work for a school system here in the Atlanta area and we have weather multiple radios in the school. And surprisingly enough, we do not block Flash or Java.

I just use a link that pops up the WeatherUnderground Flash player. Clean and simple. You can find it on my website under NOAA Links, first item.

anything