Author Topic: Midland 300 - adding warning codes  (Read 11584 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Midland 300 - adding warning codes
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »
The manual for the Midland 300 does not seem to go into any detail whatsoever on the "add alerts" feature.

Anyone play around with this?  Is there a definition list of codes that can be added?

We are under a wind chill warning right now, but my radio is showing a Winter Storm Warning.... 

Andrew

ps: edit, found some codes, wind chill not listed on any I have found... aside from one that had code NPW for "non precipitation warnings"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:10:48 AM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Midland 300 - adding warning codes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »
I know this is a bit old but this could be used for reference later for others. Wind Chill would fall under the category Non Precipitation Warning if and when there were no other watches/warnings that were more severe to be sent. In your case at the time, Winter Storm Warning is a more severe alert which is why it was being shown. Keep in mind, even if there is no other watches/warnings except for a NPW it is up to your NWS office whether or not you would receive an alert for Wind Chill Warning or any other NPW. Like here in Texas we get NPW all the time but the radio is never alerted. Mostly for Heat Index and Air Quality. So just because you might be under a Watch/Warning or Advisory, doesn't mean your weather will be alerted as that is up to your NWS office and most of the time if it is not really life threatening. Then you won't get an alert.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
The manual for the Midland 300 does not seem to go into any detail whatsoever on the "add alerts" feature.

Anyone play around with this?  Is there a definition list of codes that can be added?

We are under a wind chill warning right now, but my radio is showing a Winter Storm Warning.... 

Andrew

ps: edit, found some codes, wind chill not listed on any I have found... aside from one that had code NPW for "non precipitation warnings"

Andrew: Are you referring to the Strategic Area Message Encoding, a.k.a. SAME codes?  Those are geographic area specific, and can be looked up.  I'm sure if you Googled it you'd find your location.  Not sure if that's what you're referring to though.

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »
I don't think he was referring to the S.A.M.E. codes. I think he was wondering how to add alerts which in this case was Wind Chill Warning which would be a Non Precipitation Warning/Advisory since that is what they were under, but it was showing Winter Storm Warning. In which case the Winter Storm Warning is a more severe alert then Wind Chill. So that is what would be sent from the NWS Office. Even if there was no Winter Storm Warning it would be up to the NWS offices whether or not the current conditions are severe enough for a NPA alert.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:21:13 PM »
According to the Midland Radio website, the Midland model WR-300 does have the ability to add new SAME message codes. See the following link for the users manual and go to page 28 where it gives you detailed instructions on adding new SAME message codes to the radio. The text also says all current codes are already programmed into the radio but that you can add up to 5 new SAME message codes as needed in the future.

NOTE: the SAME message codes are NOT the SAME (a.k.a. FIPS or location) codes. One is for location coding and the  other is for the actual messages displayed on the LCD screen of the radio.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
Yes, I was talking about adding new/different/future SAME event message codes.  At the time of the post, the manual did not have anything on it, it was listed as a feature on the box, but that's it. 

A while later they issued a new PDF with reference to adding SAME event codes on page 28.

It was really mostly for interest sake. Tstorms and Tornado's (more now since we are attempting to get honorary membership in Tornado alley) are really what the radio is for..... if any of the winter events sneak up on me I have other issues.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Good to know you will be able to add future alerts. What else could you possibly add though...LoL Unless they wanted to separate certain advisories into its own alert. For example, IF your NWS offices sends an alert for Non-Precipe Advisories that could mean a lot of things. But they can send Non audible alerts and you would never know unless you look at your radio often.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:22:52 AM »
Good to know you will be able to add future alerts. What else could you possibly add though...LoL Unless they wanted to separate certain advisories into its own alert. For example, IF your NWS offices sends an alert for Non-Precipe Advisories that could mean a lot of things. But they can send Non audible alerts and you would never know unless you look at your radio often.

These appliances are now known as NOAA All Hazards Radios...so even terrorist alerts or localized emergencies can be reported to the public.
Hope we never need those types of alerts!  :!:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
These appliances are now known as NOAA All Hazards Radios...so even terrorist alerts or localized emergencies can be reported to the public.
Hope we never need those types of alerts!  :!:

Mine has terrorist alerts already. Doesn't say Terrorist alert, but it has several civil alert messages which is what that would fall under and local watch or warnings alerts. That is what I was saying, if you ever look at all the alerts that are in there, what more could you possibly add...LoL I mean it even has an alert to turn on your TV...LoL

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
 :-(  Indeed, but TV might go "dead" during terrorist alerts.  :!:
I'm prepared though...Smith & Wesson.
 =;

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
Mine has terrorist alerts already. Doesn't say Terrorist alert, but it has several civil alert messages which is what that would fall under and local watch or warnings alerts.

It doesn't necessarily mean terrorists.  It could be H1N1 flu or quarantine or something like that.  (Ever see The Stand?   :shock:   )

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
I agree, Greg.
My County recently had a train derailment scenario, with tanker cars and compressed, flammable liquid.
I can/could be anything, hence the term "All Hazards".
You are correct, sir!
 :-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
Mine has terrorist alerts already. Doesn't say Terrorist alert, but it has several civil alert messages which is what that would fall under and local watch or warnings alerts.

It doesn't necessarily mean terrorists.  It could be H1N1 flu or quarantine or something like that.  (Ever see The Stand?   :shock:   )

Greg

Right, it could mean anything. I was just saying Terrorist Alert could fall under Civil Alert which could be anything non weather related emergency. I wonder what UFO invasion would fall under?  :lol:

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »

Greg

Right, it could mean anything. I was just saying Terrorist Alert could fall under Civil Alert which could be anything non weather related emergency. I wonder what UFO invasion would fall under?  :lol:

:grin:  "Atmospheric Disturbance" ?  ;)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline emc

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
I wanted to know the same.  So for others needing this information, Alert Codes for this device are located here...  http://www.midlandradio.com/Products/Current-List-of-Alerts

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »
Thanks EMC.  Good list to have.   I'll have to have another look at it. 

Surprised they havent add Zombie watch and warning yet...   

Andrew

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
Thanks EMC.  Good list to have.   I'll have to have another look at it. 

Surprised they havent add Zombie watch and warning yet...   

Andrew

Those only happen on the highway http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/11/162712149/motorists-beware-zombies-ahead
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »
Funny.  Well it is a part of the CDC's Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response site now.

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies_novella.htm

Andrew

Those only happen on the highway http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/11/162712149/motorists-beware-zombies-ahead