Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue Advice  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Shantelle_JJR

• Weather Watcher Shantelle
Davis Vantage Vue Advice
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
Thinking of upgrading my aercus weatherstation to a Davis Vantage Vue.
My old weather station just updates automatically to weather underground, so I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Davis Vantage Vue.

1. I have seen a weatherlink software extra on offer, will I need this to upload my data to wunderground and met office WOW?

2. Can I upload to both sites at the same time including my website with all the observation graphs/gauges?

3. Could people give me advice on the operations of this weather station and any tips when purchasing and using one?  :grin:

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Davis Vantage Vue Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »

Re:
Item 1. The Weatherlink package is a Weatherlink datalogger and Weatherlink software.  You need a datalogger to connect the station console to a computer or router.  There are 3 datalogger versions, USB or serial for connecting to a computer, and an IP version that connect to a router and from that toe weatherlink.com.  The software that comes with the package is a bonus but it is not the most modern.  Luckily there are several third party program options to the Weatherlink software - i.e. Cumulus.  There are also third party options for the datalogger.

Item 2. Weatherlink can upload to Weather Underground and your website, and also to CWOP.  Again, third party programs like Cumulus can upload automatically to WU, and also to WOW, CWOP and others as well as your own website.

Item 3. Get your feet wet, or visit various PWS sites and identify what you would like, and then ask questions and there will be lots of help to your questions and to your problems.  Some good Davis resellers in the USA like Scaled Instruments (resellers will sell considerable less than Davis list).  Not familiar with UK or European dealers but a search will get you some information.  Prodata in the UK has a very good reputation.  There are region specific models of Davis Vue and VP2 stations such as USA/Canada, UK, Europe, Australia so they can be used in those specific areas.

Enjoy,
Paul

Edit: I should have checked your location before posting, so a UK dealer is what you should be investigating.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:29:13 PM by PaulMy »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:56:53 AM »
there are a number of 3rd party software and not just Cumulus
but cumulus is the most promoted on this forum
so you are best to go with that

Offline Shantelle_JJR

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »
Thank you for everyone's replies, they have been very helpful!  :-)

Another question I did have was what is the main differences between the Davis Vantage Vue and the Davis Vantage pro2?

Thanks,
Shantelle

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
I did just upgrade to a Pro II from the Vantage Vue.
Do I appreciate the larger and more sophisticated Pro II?  Honestly, yes.
But, my Vue, more affordable, turned out to be a very reliable performer on my roof for
5 years.  I had very few problems with it and it tied in to WU and CWOP via the datalogger and
Weather Link.
I was so attached to my Vue that it is currently back at Davis being "repaired" or refurbished and look forward to getting it back as a backup.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »
Another question I did have was what is the main differences between the Davis Vantage Vue and the Davis Vantage pro2?
if you mean when it comes to interfacing to software (its not clear), then there is no difference, as it uses the same data logger
but however the VUE you can not add any extra Davis sensors too (e.g solar/UV)

Offline Shantelle_JJR

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
thank you for all responses!
I was just asking for in general differences whether related to the software, its accuracy etc.  :grin:

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
VP2 will most likly be more accurate as you can separate the wind from the temp/rain and site them properly. Rainfall and temperature up on your roof is different then what it is when site at or near ground level where it is recommended to be.  Also you don't need to climb up on the roof to clean out the rain collector bucket.

John

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »
Someone should jump on this one. It is being auctioned, has the weatherlink, and FARS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davis-Vantage-Pro2-Wireless-Weather-Station-with-24-Hr-fan-Weatherlink-USB-/152322115908?hash=item23771b0944:g:QbwAAOSwcUBYLkeJ
Wow. I don't think I'd touch that. Mine been in the Az sun nine years and looks brand new compared to that.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »
Someone should jump on this one. It is being auctioned, has the weatherlink, and FARS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davis-Vantage-Pro2-Wireless-Weather-Station-with-24-Hr-fan-Weatherlink-USB-/152322115908?hash=item23771b0944:g:QbwAAOSwcUBYLkeJ
Wow. I don't think I'd touch that. Mine been in the Az sun nine years and looks brand new compared to that.

Agree. It looks really beat up. A person should replace the solar panel, rain collector base, etc., etc., I would start over. The seller should have listed how old the console is, which verson of weatherlink it has too. Too many unknowns even at that price.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:31:21 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »

Agree. It looks really beat up. A person should replace the solar panel, rain collector base, etc., etc., I would start over. The seller should have listed how old the console is, which verson of weatherlink it has too. Too many unknowns even at that price.
Well for a piece of junk, it's really been bid up. The USB alone is worth $60 used easily.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »

Well for a piece of junk, it's really been bid up. The USB alone is worth $60 used easily.
When I see that, all it makes me think is neglect. For that price you might as well save up for a new one, cause I personally wouldn't put that kinda money on it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
I wouldn't offer anything for it. Looks like it was buried in mud or something.  :lol:
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 07:11:21 PM »
I wouldn't offer anything for it. Looks like it was buried in mud or something.  :lol:

A sophisticated user, like contributers to this Forum, is unlikely to buy this unit. Rather, the likely buyer is probably thinking they got a deal, not knowing how dated it is and the work it will likely need to bring it up to snuf.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Shantelle_JJR

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
UPDATE: I have purchased myself a Davis Vantage Vue :grin:
 (don't worry it wasn't that one from Ebay :lol: )

Will be updating my website with relevant bits and bobs once my other weather station is replaced!
Thanks for your help everyone!  :-)