Author Topic: Davis VP2 rain collector problem  (Read 599 times)

Offline krekel

• Weerstation Assen
Davis VP2 rain collector problem
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:31:11 PM »
Hi

I have a strange problem with my Davis VP2 Plus. The rain collector is going nuts. I count sometimes about 300mm rain in short time when it is not raining.
I replaced the tipping bucket but it did not solve it.
Then I replaced the transmitter board in the ISS. After this it went well for about 3 weeks.
The problem has occurred again since yesterday. The rain measurement quickly increases to sometimes 300 mm.
I tried it with another console. This did not solve it. I also tried it with the wind measurement switched off and then with the soil / moisture measurement switched off. This did not solve it either.

Even with the tipping bucket disconnected, the rain measurement increased considerably.

Do you have any idea what might be going on or does someone recognize this problem?

Brgds,
Oebel

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis VP2 rain collector problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
Most likely a short, each time it does it counts as a tip.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
When you say "Even with the tipping bucket disconnected, the rain measurement increased considerably" , does this mean the cable was unplugged completely from/at the ISS?

Offline krekel

• Weerstation Assen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:37:36 AM »
When you say "Even with the tipping bucket disconnected, the rain measurement increased considerably" , does this mean the cable was unplugged completely from/at the ISS?

Yes, the cable was unplugged from the ISS. This morning counter goes up and is now 640mm

Brgds,
Oebel

Offline krekel

• Weerstation Assen
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:38:13 AM »

What do you mean with a "short"?

Brgds,
Oebel

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:10:28 AM »

What do you mean with a "short"?

Brgds,
Oebel
An electrical short is where current passes that should not. The tipping mechanism works by conducting current through the reed switch which is exactly mimicked by a short. Since you've replaced the PCB and disconnected the rain connector from the ISS, I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:34:33 AM »
Try cleaning the contacts where the cable plugs in, could be some moisture or foreign matter bridging the contacts?

Offline bmwr100

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »
I’m having the exact same problem. Three year old system. Unplugged the rain sensor and connections looked fine. Still same problem. Anybody have any other ideas?

Offline krekel

• Weerstation Assen
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
I’m having the exact same problem. Three year old system. Unplugged the rain sensor and connections looked fine. Still same problem. Anybody have any other ideas?

Hi,

I am pretty sure that moisture is the problem. After dismantling the board I saw moisture inside the ISS housing. I took the board, which also spontaneously indicated the precipitation without the tipping bucket connected, out of the ISS and took it inside the house without battery and let it discharge. ( let it dry) After a few days I reinstalled the battery and connected the tipping bucket to the board and connected it to the console. It works fine and after a tilt of the tipping bucket, the precipitation shows as it should. I tested a lot. Now I have mounted and connected the board outside again in the ISS. Of course, as a test, I packed the housing in plastic to exclude moisture. It now works 2 days as it should and it rains and the precipitation is measured nicely.

So, see if you see moisture in the ISS housing. In my opinion, moisture is really the cause.

I hope it helps you.

Brgds,
Oebel
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:45:50 PM by krekel »

anything