Author Topic: Acurite question  (Read 2751 times)

Offline TFD

Acurite question
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:31:03 PM »
As a retired Broadcast Engineer and someone who's been interested in weather since I was a kid, I'm finding this forum fascinating. Since Acurite has the PRO 5-IN-1 on sale this 4th of July weekend, I'm wondering if it can work WITHOUT any display unit.
I already have the Aculink Internet Bridge up and running along with 3 Temperature/Humidity Tower sensors and 2 model 00592W2 Display Units. They don't display the type of information provided by the Pro 5-1.
Can the Pro 5-1 talk directly to the Aculink Internet Bridge? Can that data be uploaded to Wunderground?
I currently monitor the Temperature/Humidity Tower sensors using an iPhone 6+ & an iPad 4 along with a Dell PC & laptop.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm really enjoying this forum!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
As a retired Broadcast Engineer and someone who's been interested in weather since I was a kid, I'm finding this forum fascinating. Since Acurite has the PRO 5-IN-1 on sale this 4th of July weekend, I'm wondering if it can work WITHOUT any display unit.
I already have the Aculink Internet Bridge up and running along with 3 Temperature/Humidity Tower sensors and 2 model 00592W2 Display Units. They don't display the type of information provided by the Pro 5-1.
Can the Pro 5-1 talk directly to the Aculink Internet Bridge? Can that data be uploaded to Wunderground?
I currently monitor the Temperature/Humidity Tower sensors using an iPhone 6+ & an iPad 4 along with a Dell PC & laptop.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm really enjoying this forum!

Yes, the 5n1 will work with the bridge.  A 5n1-compatible console is nice, but not required if you have a bridge.

However, MyBackyardWeather.com (MBW) has an (artificial) 3-sensor device limitation, so you would have to give up reading one of your tower sensors to add the 5n1.  The only way to get around this 3-sensor limit of MBW is to add a second bridge to your account, which will take  you up to 6 devices.

The data from the 5n1 can be forwarded by MBW to wunderground, but they only does so at 15-minute intervals.  They also do not forward rain rate or wind gust information to wunderground.  If you want to report to wunderground faster, you can look into 3rd-party solutions.  They can easily be added later, so you can save that project for a later day.

Offline TFD

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I really don't like that 15 minute report interval to weather underground. Since I'm new to all of this, would another brand of personal weather station be a better solution. I'm not tied to Acurite or any particular brand.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
A Acurite's price point there is nothing I'd recommend.  Go 2.5x or 3x and get a Davis Vantage.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
Davis or Rainwise. I wouldn't recommend anything that Accurate makes. Everyone in the past  when I tried their products new out of the box I ended up having to troubleshoot and repair them. Last was Time clock. Yep  Accurate parent  company owns Timex. Could not set the time or date on it. Had to open the case up to make the switches work.

Davis is cheaper then Rainwise but it doesn't record temps below minus 39 degrees.

John

Offline TFD

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »
THANKS.
I was really beginning to wonder about Acurite. The 3 temp/humidity towers currently monitor the backyard, the attic, and the garage via the iPad or iPhone. That Acurite setup works very well but it's SIMPLE and provides info I like to have. I really didn't want to lose a sensor to be able to have the Pro 5-1.
Since the Davis equipment is a bit pricey for someone new to this, could anyone provide me with some good suggestions based on their own experiences. I still have some spare Ethernet ports on one switch.
If everyone on this forum recommends just Davis, I guess I'll have to go that route. I really appreciate any and all suggestions!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »
TFD,

check out ambient weather. They make an all in one that will do all the acurite does, plus solar radiation. It updates rapidly. They also have the WS-2080 that you can plug into your PC and use a free download called Cumulus to upload your station to sites like Wunderground, PWS, CWOP etc. I would strongly recommend the solar radiation shield add on sold for that one to get accurate air temps, but also to protect the transmitter from rain.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:39 PM »
THANKS.
I was really beginning to wonder about Acurite. The 3 temp/humidity towers currently monitor the backyard, the attic, and the garage via the iPad or iPhone. That Acurite setup works very well but it's SIMPLE and provides info I like to have. I really didn't want to lose a sensor to be able to have the Pro 5-1.
Since the Davis equipment is a bit pricey for someone new to this, could anyone provide me with some good suggestions based on their own experiences. I still have some spare Ethernet ports on one switch.
If everyone on this forum recommends just Davis, I guess I'll have to go that route. I really appreciate any and all suggestions!

As a former Davis owner, I don't recommend them.  The price and old technology of Davis just aren't worth it to me.  Let's just say you can buy multiple internet-enabled Acurite systems and be on the Internet quickly for the price of a Davis.

Anyway, the 5n1 would also give you backyard temps, so that's one sensor you might not need.  It sounds like you have an independent display for two of them, so either of them could still work without MBW.

As far as updates, the 5n1 updates MBW every 18 seconds.  The 15-minute to wunderground is just a free service they provide.  If you want faster reporting, it can be added later.

The choice is up to you, but you've already got a working system you can expand without a lot of expense and effort.

If you can do some simple scripting with Linux, you can also expand beyond the 3-device limit of MBW by reading the bridge data directly.  The bridge transmits data for every device it hears, regardless of the MBW limit.  If you process that data locally, you can have as many sensor devices as you want, the only real limit being collisions of data packets on the 433MHz frequency.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:16:49 PM by nincehelser »

Offline TFD

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »
Doctorknow, Thanks.

Could you provide me with the ambient model number you're referring to? I would like for the system to not be dependent on a PC or a laptop. Also, how often does the ambient product "dump" data to weatherunderground. I wasn't impressed with the  Acurite 15 minute interval! A lot can change in 15 minutes. What is the ambient "dump" interval?
I wish I knew more.
THANKS! 

To John,

If it ever got to -39 degrees here in Bartlett, TN I'd have a lot more to worry about than my personal weather station! Lol. Thanks for the info.

If it ever got to -39 degrees here in Bartlett, TN I'd have a lot more to worry about than my personal weather station! Lol. Thanks for the info.

Offline TFD

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »
To Nincehelser,

T H A N K S!
Before I spend any money, I was wanting feedback on the available products out there. Your honesty about your experiences with Davis is just the kind of information I need. My career was in Broadcast Engineering, so all this is new to me. I really appreciate your input.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »
To Nincehelser,

T H A N K S!
Before I spend any money, I was wanting feedback on the available products out there. Your honesty about your experiences with Davis is just the kind of information I need. My career was in Broadcast Engineering, so all this is new to me. I really appreciate your input.

You're welcome.  I just want to say I'm not "down" on Davis.  It's the de-facto standard by which everyone else is judged, rightly or wrongly.  If someone gave me one, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.  Still, I wouldn't voluntarily buy one right now.  If they come up with something really innovative, though, they'll have my business again.

I'm always looking for something innovative and interesting, regardless of the brand.  Neatmo in its current state doesn't interest me, but if they come to market with a decent ultrasonic wind system, I'll be trying it out.  Same goes for Bloomsky.  I'm still waiting for my Bloomsky system to be shipped.  It's clearly not a full replacement for the traditional weather system, but the direction they're heading is interesting.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
THANKS.

As a former Davis owner, I don't recommend them.  The price and old technology of Davis just aren't worth it to me.  Let's just say you can buy multiple internet-enabled Acurite systems and be on the Internet quickly for the price of a Davis.

Anyway, the 5n1 would also give you backyard temps, so that's one sensor you might not need.  It sounds like you have an independent display for two of them, so either of them could still work without MBW.

As far as updates, the 5n1 updates MBW every 18 seconds.  The 15-minute to wunderground is just a free service they provide.  If you want faster reporting, it can be added later.

The choice is up to you, but you've already got a working system you can expand without a lot of expense and effort.

If you can do some simple scripting with Linux, you can also expand beyond the 3-device limit of MBW by reading the bridge data directly.  The bridge transmits data for every device it hears, regardless of the MBW limit.  If you process that data locally, you can have as many sensor devices as you want, the only real limit being collisions of data packets on the 433MHz frequency.

These do NOT require a PC, only a wireless router.

Without console and wireless with rapid update to WU every 16 sec.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

With console

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
I beta tested the 1000WiFi for Ambient. My opinion it is OK for the price. Fairly easy to setup, you can adjust the readings to comp for sensor tolerances and it does upload to WU every 15 seconds. The indoor temp sensor is a separate unit so you can place it wherever you want. There are a few downsides. It is only connects to the internet via WiFi, no ethernet connection. The daytime temps read a couple degrees high in full sun and winds below 5MPH or so. It's been running about a year now and has not given me any problems.

I currently use a Davis Vue. It is true it is expensive and they use older outdated electronics for the display and internet connection. But it has run for over 5 years without a single problem. It is more accurate than any other station that I have tried and I've tried many. The display to me doesn't make much difference as I use a PC program (Weather Display) to record data and upload it the internet. I made a weather web site that also includes a "tablet" version and I use that tablet version for my indoor display instead of the Davis console.

Web site - http://www.northfortmyersweather.com/weather/
Tablet version - http://www.northfortmyersweather.com/weather/tablettest.html

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »
Love the tablet version!!  Excellent job.  I wish my Davis console looked like that!!  =D>
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 10:42:25 AM »
Yea, that really gripes me about Davis. You can get an Android tablet that has many more features than their console for less money than their WeatherLink IP alone costs. Really too bad that Davis wouldn't go that route. To me they could have a real goldmine in allowing users to make custom "skins" for an Android display and share them with other users. Much like Weather Display, the PC software is great but the web site it creates isn't that great. But this has allowed a number of web templates to be created that has expanded it and given it much more usefulness.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 11:41:57 AM »
For any weather station, personally I'm more interested in the accuracy of the sensors and durability/longevity of the unit than the indoor display, although a nice display is certainly a plus.
Bill

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
As for my thoughts on Davis, it is way too expensive IMO to get it up on the web. There are easier ways to be online for much less. However, There is a poster named bellfryboy (I think is the right handle) that makes his own data capture rig for much less for the Davis though. I would certainly go that way if I wanted to hook a Davis to my meteobridge. I agree with Nincehelser about not turning a Davis down for the right price. I believe they are accurate because of their proper wide radiation shield. You get a station like Ambient or Acurite all in one or the Davis vue even, you will have temps a little high as the sun rises and falls and hits the tiny radiation shield they have. Acurite does fine if you can get the fan going at the right moment. That is a challenge for many, especially when the fan is wired wrong. I can attest to that.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 02:22:49 PM »
For any weather station, personally I'm more interested in the accuracy of the sensors and durability/longevity of the unit than the indoor display, although a nice display is certainly a plus.
+1

anything