Author Topic: SkySpy Software  (Read 36269 times)

Offline Flying_Carlos

Re: SkySpy Software
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
Hi,

I was playing around with the capture of TX-60 and it looks that temp & HR% are similar to the weather station.
I saw  three different commands in the header: 01:01 , 00:01 00:70, the first one send a 23 byte with the sensor info and the server answer with "HTTP_FLAGS: 00:00"

This is a request in hex
HTTP_IDENTIFY: ZZZZZZZZ:01:YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY:01

This is the content of the packet
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX3576082626262626262626262626605A

The structure of the packet is:
7 byte of something like the registration is always the same in each request
3 byte of sensor 1 info
13 bytes of  "26" + sensor 2 info ??? (I couldn't check because I don't have the probe)

I compared the recording (every 5') of the alert system with he capture, and based in the finding of the forum , it looks like :
   The temperature in the TX-60 is send in Farenheit instead of Celsius.
   %HR use one byte

Relative humidity (byte 8 )

Temperature (bytes 9-10)
byte
9    (A) Integer part of temp.
10   (D) decimal portion of temperature

Temp = (ToInt(A) + D / 10 ) -40

Samples
                 RH%                        Temp
357608       ToInt(0x35) = 53%         ToInt(0x76) + 08 /10 - 40 =76.8
2F7C08       ToInt(0x2F) = 47%         ToInt(0x7C) + 08 /10 - 40 =84.8
298003       ToInt(0x29) = 41%         ToInt(0x80) + 08 /10 - 40 =88.3
2A7E02       ToInt(0x2A) = 42%         ToInt(0x7E) + 02 /10 - 40 =86.2

Kevin, I know you are working with lot of things, but perhaps you can look at, and give me your opinion.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
Kevin, I know you are working with lot of things, but perhaps you can look at, and give me your opinion.

I am completely buried with getting the current SkySpy version out the door, but I will take a look at your findings when I get a few spare minutes.  Sorry for the delay!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »
WeatherFlow updates have been added to SkySpyService!

I have it sending data to WeatherFlow (aka iKiteSurf).  It appears to work... The WeatherFlow server sends back a "success" code to me, but then on the other hand, I don't see my weather station on their maps.  Maybe it takes a while for them to add me to the map?

Anyway, the latest (unreleased) version can now update both Weather Underground AND WeatherFlow at the same time.   \:D/

I am going to test for a few days and then make another release with this and a couple other new features.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
A new SkySpy Gamma release is available at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyw2728dhsw9p0g/SkySpyInstall.exe?dl=0

This one has the following features:

• WeatherFlow support is complete, but is untested
  • Cumulus support is not yet complete
  • The SMTP Security combo box now shows correct SSL/TLS security for sending emails and texts
  • The Weather Alert Email test button works.  Note that it takes up to 4 minutes to send the test message.
  • Misc Weather Alert fixes
  • Still no manual

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
That is actually a horrendously large request.

How could that be so hard when I was able to write the request in so few words?  :)

Forget I asked.  What you've got now is great, and it'll be even cooler if you're able to post to iKitesurf/Weatherflow.

Raspberry Pi 2 will soon be running Windows 10.  Totally different processor though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:30:41 PM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline spork

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
Raspberry Pi 2 will soon be running Windows 10.  Then maybe??

I just saw that as well.  It will be really cool if it just works.  It's certainly cheap enough to try.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
I am again attempting to get SkySpy working. I have read though the old thread from my last post to here.

It seems that I am really close now. If I turn off Windows firewall, the SkySpy Monitor finally starts receiving packets with data!!!

So could someone explain to me what the firewall settings need to be? For Windows Firewall or router firewall?

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline spork

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 08:08:37 PM »
So could someone explain to me what the firewall settings need to be? For Windows Firewall or router firewall?

I'm not the expert - but I'll tell you what worked for me.  If all you had to do is turn off your Windows firewall (nothing with your router) we should be able to setup rules for your windows firewall and have it still work when the firewall is on.

- Bring up your windows control panel
- Search for "firewall"
- Click on "Allow a program through windows firewall"
- Click on "Change settings"
- Click on "Allow another program"
- Browse to find both the SkySpy Monitor and the SkySpy service.  Allow them both.

Hopefully this will do it.  Let us know.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
Thanks Spork!!!  \:D/ =D>

That was it. I had to do both of them.

I am getting data now without having to turn off windows firewall.

Also thanks for everyone posting their problems and answers so I could weed through all this.

Thanks for all the effort you have put into this skydrvz.  UU

Offline spork

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »
Spectacular.  Actually - this might be an enhancement request.  I think the install puts the SkySpy Monitor in the exception list - but not the service.  I had to add the SkySpy service manually and then all was well.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2015, 12:25:52 AM »
WeatherUnderground update is working now. Initially I couldn't get info to WU with ssMonitor. When I sent a manual rawupdate like:
http://weatherstation.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?ID=KARBENTO23&PASSWORD=$%@test&dateutc=now&winddir=215&windspeedmph=08&windgustmph=15&tempf=65&rainin=0&baromin=29.1&dewptf=68.2&humidity=90&weather=&clouds=&softwaretype=vws%20versionxx&action=updateraw
the data would show up on WU.

So I tried the newer version from a few days ago. Then I got 'SpecialSDPLength=210' and 'JabberCount=1' packets in ssMonitor but no valid data packets. Stopped the process and went back to older version, now it is working!

Been a good evening for me. Baby steps but got it going!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
So I tried the newer version from a few days ago. Then I got 'SpecialSDPLength=210' and 'JabberCount=1' packets in ssMonitor but no valid data packets. Stopped the process and went back to older version, now it is working!

I don't recommend using the old version.  I fixed a lot of bugs in the latest version, and I'd like to get everyone using it ASAP.

I think the problem most folks have with the new version is that your SkySpy.INI file gets corrupted by the old version or you try to run multiple copies of ssMonitor at the same time.

If you have problems with the latest version, then I recommend doing the following:

Copy your existing SkySpy.ini file to your desktop or other safe location.  You will find it in the C:\ProgramData\SkySpyData folder.

Uninstall SkySpy from the Windows control panel.
Delete the following folders, along with everything in them:

• C:\ProgramData\SkySpyData
  • C:\Program Files\SkySpy

Note:  "Program Files" will be "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit windows machines

Now, run the latest installer.  When it finishes, make sure you open the Settings dialog in ssMonitor and configure *everything*.  This includes your PWS serial number and your Weather Underground (WU) and or WeatherFlow (WF) station ID.  Nothing will work correctly until you configure SkySpy.  Don't worry about any crazy messages in the Service Debug Information grid until you have all your settings completely correct.

If you have forgotten any of your serial number or station code info, then open the SkySpy.INI file that you saved to your desktop with Notepad.  The information should be in there.  You can cut-and-paste from Notepad into the Setup dialog fields. Click the Ok button on the Settings dialog and it will update SkySpy.INI (the one used by the Service in C:\ProgramData\SkySpyData).

If you are going to use Weather Alerts, then make sure you fill in all of the SkySpy SMTP settings.  You can find this information in your Email reader settings or you can ask your ISP.  Your ISP may have a web page that shows the suggested settings:  Look for settings used by the Thunderbird Email reader.  It uses similar SMTP settings to SkySpy.

It is completely normal to see JabberCount/Special SDP events in ssMonitor for the first hour or two of SkySpyService operation.  This is your weather station sending "catch-up" weather data to SkySpy.  Since we can't use it to update WU or WF, SkySpy simply tosses the data.  When the C84612 thinks it has caught up with sending historical weather data to the server, then it stops jabbering.  Jabbering will reoccur if your PWS cannot communicate with SkySpyService for more than a few minutes.  You can safely ignore it.

If Jabber events persist, then make sure all of your sensors are working properly.  If one or more sensors cannot communicate with the Gateway, then you will have to fix that - but this is outside the scope of the SkySpy software.

You should not need to make any special firewall rules for ssMonitor.  ssMonitor does not use your network at all.  It chats with SkySpyService through other means: "Named Pipes" and via the INI file.

SkySpyService on the other hand does everything network-related:  It listens to your PWS Gateway Module and it talks back to it.  It also talks and listens to WU and WF.  Last, it sends emails to you, if you have Weather Alerts turned on.

So... You do not have to run ssMonitor at all, once you have configured all your settings.  ssMonitor is simply a debug tool at this point - you can see all your weather information on WU and/or WF.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions  :grin:

Offline spork

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
I hope this clears up some misconceptions  :grin:

It clears up some misconceptions (and knowledge gaps) for me.  Thanks!

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
Cleaned everything before a new install as decsribed and now the latest version is running. Thanks again!

One thing I am seeing today since we are getting some rain, my rainfall amount doesn't seem to be updating. I had to clean out the collection bucket for the rain sensor, so when I was done I flushed it with a glassful of water. My weather station monitor showed the increase in rainfall but this info doesn't seem to be getting to Weather Underground. The amount on the mini website didn't change with the new amount either.

Any thoughts what I may have missed this time?

Kevin KJ5FA

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »
Cleaned everything before a new install as decsribed and now the latest version is running. Thanks again!

Good news!

One thing I am seeing today since we are getting some rain, my rainfall amount doesn't seem to be updating.

Look on your console, between where it says "Date" and "Rain".  There is a little indicator that tells you if the rain gauge (RG) signal is reaching the Outdoor Temp/Humidity sensor.  The Outdoor T/H sensor is the "nexus" of all the sensors.  If the indicator is off, then you won't get any indication of rainfall.  It should flash on and off every 3-4 minutes, but it should not stay off for a long time.

Also, when you upgrade to the new version, you will miss the last 24 hours of rain info since the old database tables got erased.  It should start registering on Weather Underground soon after though.

You can clean out the RG better if you unscrew the top from the base - it has a bayonet fitting that takes about 1/8 of a turn or so to unlock.  Then you can get to all of the inner bits.  Bugs love to crawl into the inner workings of mine and set up light housekeeping  :???:

Tape the "teeter-totter" down and then wash out the catch-cup.  That way you won't skew your rainfall reading when you clean the RG.

I had an RG go bad on me after working for about 10 months.  It had a good signal into the OTH and lit up the indicator on the console.  It did not register any rainfall though.  I tried replacing the magnetic reed switch in the RG, but must have ESD'd the circuit board.  No more RF output.  I ended up buying a new one on Amazon. 

DigiKey sells the switches, if you want to go that route.  The switches are very cheap - a new RG is not.  I bought a fairly insensitive switch that might not have worked, even if the circuit board hadn't smoked.  Find a sensitive one that has the same form factor - the magnet on the tip bucket is very wimpy.

My setup was pretty flakey until I positioned the RG so that it was within line-of-sight of the Outdoor T/H sensor.  A fencepost at the corner of my pasture nearest the house worked great for the RG.  It's about 50-75 feet from the OTH sensor.

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
Got distracted for a while. Guess I just needed to wait for a while. It has been getting some readings for a while now. Rain is back down to a drizzle, but the readings are increasing every once in a while. Maybe I just needed to walk away for a little while. A watched pot never boils, right? :)

Not sure why it never did display the 'artificial' rainfall that I introduced to WU, but good to see some movement in the numbers there now.

Thanks again for all your work and help.

Kevin

Offline chazzn

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
After using GAS tool to point the gateway to my win7 box, I've still been establish communications with the ss proxy server on ip xxx.xxx.0.69. I've installed the latest package loaded by skydrv on 1 march to no avail.  Checking the Gateway webpage shows GAS has definitely set the gateway to point at the proxy server at 0.69 but there is no data transferred to the proxy server or the weather underground.  However, when I switch the gateway back to point at the proxy server in old xp box on 0.2 data flows without interruption.  Hopefully, someone will have the solution.  The .ini files are the same.   ](*,)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »
After using GAS tool to point the gateway to my win7 box,

Are you sure you are using the correct IP address for your PC?  Many modern PCs have more than one network port and they will have separate IP addresses associated with them.  Make sure the GW is on the same subnet as your SkySpy PC.

What do you see when you run ipconfig in a DOS box?

I've still been establish communications with the ss proxy server on ip xxx.xxx.0.69.

Technically, SkySpy is not a proxy server.  It is a full blown web server that completely simulates the La Crosse weather stats server.  We trick the GW into sending its data to your SkySpy PC instead of it's normal server by configuring the Proxy settings. 

A proxy normally relays data from a device to a named internet hostname embedded in the proxy packet.  SkySpy ignores the proxy address (the La Crosse server) and accepts the packets itself.

I've installed the latest package loaded by skydrv on 1 march to no avail.  Checking the Gateway webpage shows GAS has definitely set the gateway to point at the proxy server at 0.69 but there is no data transferred to the proxy server or the weather underground. 

Make sure you allow inbound connections on TCP/IP Port 8000 on your 0.69 PC.  Your software firewall is probably blocking this traffic.  Your anti-virus program may also prevent the SkySpyService from listening on port 8000.  This firewall is different than the one you possibly have in your router/WiFi access point.

Anti-virus applications like Norton 360 have a firewall component built in.  You need to configure it.

You do not need to open up port 8000 on your router - just your PC's software firewall. 

You only need to allow SkySpyService to use port 8000.  ssMonitor does not need network access, except to send crash reports on port 80.  Your firewall already allows access to port 80.

However, when I switch the gateway back to point at the proxy server in old xp box on 0.2 data flows without interruption. 

You probably don't have a firewall set up on the XP box or you have it shut off.

Offline spork

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 02:54:42 AM »
Skydvrz - I finally got the wind sensor mounted on a pole at our host's house this afternoon.  Unfortunately the sensor stopped reporting to Weather Underground this morning.  I took a look and found that no messages were appearing on SkySpy Monitor.  But the La Crosse console was still active and updating.  I tried stopping the program and restarting it - but no luck.  I looked at the gateway.  It showed the red "internet" LED, but the RF LED wasn't flashing.  I unplugged it from both the router and power supply.  When I plugged it back in I did get the RF LED flashing a bit, the internet LED turned on solid, but still no messages on SkySpy Monitor.

It now occurs to me that the SkySpy service could perhaps be stalled.  Can you think of anything else?

Thanks.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »
Spork,

Make sure the Console can talk to the Gateway.  You might try moving the gateway closer to the console, if you can find a way to connect the gateway to the network in the new location.  I have mine mounted in my attic in an air-cooled home-network box that I built.  I get a good strong signal up there from the console mounted two floors below the attic.

None of the sensors talk directly to the Gateway:  The Wind Speed/Direction sensor and the Rain Gauge talk to the outside T/H sensor.  The T/H sensor then batches up all the readings and sends them to the Console.  The Console processes the readings, displays them and then sends everything to the Gateway.  The Gateway sends data to your SkySpy PC over the LAN or WiFi.

So...  If the console display reads correctly and you are not updating WF or WU, then there is a problem with either the Gateway, SkySpy or the LAN.  If restarting SkySpy didn't work then you might want to run GAS on the SkySpy PC and make sure that the settings are correct in the Gateway.  Did you see a restart message in the Monitor when you restarted SkySpyService?  It should show the version number of SkySpyService.

Maybe someone did a factory reset of the Gateway?

Step away from the Gateway button folks.   :lol:

It is not used by SkySpy, so just leave it alone after you get SkySpy up and running.  It will break, not fix anything if you push it.  ](*,)

If you push it, then make sure all your "proxy" settings didn't get trashed.  Use the La Crosse GAS utility to check/fix them.

In fact, I am just now looking at the La Crosse manual...  Don't do ANY of the recommended resets on the Console either.   :shock:

Offline spork

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2015, 02:06:13 AM »
Thanks!  This gives me something to work with.  I'll let you know what I learn.

Did you see a restart message in the Monitor when you restarted SkySpyService?

Unfortunately I didn't restart SkySpyService.  I only restarted the SkySpy monitor.  Looking back - that was obviously not the right idea.  I've asked the host to try rebooting the laptop.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

Maybe someone did a factory reset of the Gateway?

I doubt it - but it's possible.  If the reboot doesn't do the trick I'll run GAS and check it out.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:23:13 AM by spork »

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »
Kevin, Ignore the bug I posted in bug tracker.  I think I figured out what was going on and it was something I did. I still cannot send out alerts though.  The last Sent time in the ini file never changes.  What can I do to trouble shoot?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:58:40 PM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't restart SkySpyService.  I only restarted the SkySpy monitor.  Looking back - that was obviously not the right idea.  I've asked the host to try rebooting the laptop.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

A friendly reminder to you and the lurkers.  ssMonitor serves only 2 purposes:

• Configure SkySpyService
  • Sit back and watch SkySpyService tick away

Once SkySpyService is up and running, you can delete ssMonitor if you like.  This is not recommended, since you may want to change settings at some point.  I am just pointing out how little ssMonitor does in the grand scheme of things.  I show your current sensor readings in ssMonitor, but all of that same stuff is sent to WeatherUnderground or WeatherFlow.  Both are much prettier than ssMonitor  :lol:

So... If something breaks, look to SkySpyService.

You can restart SkySpyService by opening Windows-Start-Button|Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services

A dialog box will appear, showing all of the Service apps running on your PC.  Scroll down to SkySpy Server Service and select Stop to stop it, and Start to start it up again.  You don't need to reboot the computer.  Stop/Start should completely re-initialize SkySpyService.

Note that the current version of SkySpyService intentionally restarts itself once or twice a week, so there is no need to play with the Service dialog under normal circumstances.

If ssMonitor happens to be running when you twiddle the Service, then you should see shutdown and startup messages in the debug list.  ssMonitor should show SDP packets every 4 minutes or so.  SDP's contain your major weather sensor info.  The other packets are housekeeping info for the Console - things like resetting the clock and the Internet indicator.

I hope that explains things better.  :grin:

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2015, 09:30:36 PM »
Kevin, Ignore the bug I posted in bug tracker.  I think I figured out what was going on and it was something I did.

The alert email address and min/max/range values are kept in

C:\ProgramData\SkySpyData\SkySpy.ini

The email settings in the INI file are all clear text, but the alert min/max/range values are not human-readable.  Don't mess with the Alertxxx settings - use ssMonitor to update the INI for these.

The last Sent time in the ini file never changes.  What can I do to trouble shoot?

That means that Alerts are not being sent.

Have you configured your SMTP settings in ssMonitor?

Do you see "WX ALERT DETECTED" in the Service Debug Information list?

Offline spork

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
OK - our system is back up and running after rebooting the laptop.  I'm nearly certain it was a problem with SkySpy Service - but I'm not there to see what's happening first hand.

A friendly reminder to you and the lurkers.  ssMonitor serves only 2 purposes...

Yes - I was actually aware of that and yet I was somehow still dumb enough to reboot SkySpy monitor without thinking while ignoring SkySpy service.  I'll offer the following shameful excuse...  I had just mounted the sensor on top of the host's house and the wind was picking up so I wanted to go flying more than I wanted to start debugging. :(

Thanks also for the tips on starting and stopping SkySpy service without rebooting the computer.  I've actually done that several times when the computer was at my house - but I didn't want to talk our host through all of that.  So I just told him to exit all programs and reboot the machine.  Fortunately that did the trick.

Thanks again for your help and patience.