Author Topic: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?  (Read 166661 times)

Offline xcesmess

Battery failures on Vantage Vue?
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »
About two weeks ago I picked up a new Vantage Vue and have loved it since the first day I turned it online.  It has definitely been a step up from the WMR-968 I had before! :)

Unfortunately today it took a spill for the worst and I wanted to see if others have had the same problem.  A few days after putting the station online I noticed it was giving a 'LOW TRANSMITTER BATTERY 1' error message on the console.  We had some cloudy days and it was right before a snow storm so I just figured the dormant battery was low and needed a charge.  A good sunny day later and the message went away -- for a day.  The message inevitably came back so I gave up and just replaced the battery before the next storm came in -- this tme the message never went away.  Two weeks have passed now and the ISS finally gave up and was reporting 163 degrees outside and 100% humidity.  I went outside and the unit was off completely.  Putting a new battery into the unit, it seems to be back online and reporting fine without the 'low battery' message. 

I sent an e-mail to Davis' support but sadly never received a response (I hope that isn't the trend). 

Any anyone else experienced this?  These are supposed to be 10 year lithium batteries so I'd hate to see them go dead so quickly.  My hunch is that I might have a faulty solar panel or the ISS charging circuit is bad.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Kelly

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
you might be right on both.  It is possible to have faulty batteries.  i have had several like that with my VP2.  I have a wireless temp station out there in the deep snow.. and the battery needed replacing. I was lucky and the replacement was good, but I have had batteries that continue to give the low battery message, even after resetting the console.  So I keep replacing until one is good.

It would be a nice thing to have, that the console or software trip something that gives the batteries voltages at the various stations. I have asked Davis for that, to be told .. that the data logger just doesn't have enough memory space to accomodate that.   

Anyway, keep monitoring your unit, and keep bothering Davis about it.   It could be something minor , but they do need to help you.  I often call them direct at times.

Offline xcesmess

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the information... I'll keep an eye on the battery and if it happens again I'll get on the horn with Davis until something is resolved.  I noticed quite a variance in temp and humidity values (much more than the +/- 1 or 2 when I got it) just sitting side by side with the console after putting a new battery in... so I could have something going south...

Thanks!

Kelly

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
It could be something going bad, I hope not. 

It is a new product and I don't know how extensive or over how big of a geographical range they field test their units.  When the vantage pro models came out there were problems like this for a while.   

You just need to keep on Davis to do something.  They are a good company but I think they get bogged down at times and you need to contact them direct and talk to a technician.  Brett Lane seems to be the head honcho there in that area.  He also has a nice crew as well.  They will make it right with you, just keep bugging them .   

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
I've had my Vue since October and so far (knock on wood  ](*,) ), I haven't had a problem with the batteries so far.

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »
 Reading this post I am curious if the problems with the batteries may be due to too little sun. I hope not as my station will be in an area where in the summer when the leaves are on the trees there will be shade part of the day.
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »

I sent an e-mail to Davis' support but sadly never received a response (I hope that isn't the trend). 

I agree with Aardvark that a phone call works best for support, especially for something of this nature. Good luck.
Bill

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »
watch for time zone differences and they probably are going to close early tomorrow for New Years so they can dance in the wind tunnel

Offline xcesmess

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
After calibrating the unit for a couple hours I've put it back outside with a new battery... we'll see how it goes over the next couple of days.  If the trend picks up I'll be making a call :)

I'll report back my findings for all the new Vue owners out there :)

Kelly

Offline xcesmess

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
Thought I'd give a little update as to the VUE battery problem...

I put a new battery in it as my previous post said but within 24 hours I had a battery message again on the console.  I gave Davis a call today and they hinted that it was a new unit so they were still 'discovering' problems but didn't have a recall for that issue yet (maybe they know?).  They want me to get some more voltage data from the battery itself by putting a new battery in, testing voltage, and then testing the voltage when the message appears.  Their idea is that the solar panel isn't operating as it should or the capacitor has gone bad.  The tech informed me that the solar panel should operate the unit independently for 15-17 hours of the day and the battery is only for night-time use... must be some powerful panels ;)

Anyway I'm off to get a new battery and call back, case # in hand, when I get the numbers they're requesting.  The good news is they said they would either replace or repair the unit since it is less than 30 days old.

Thanks!

Kelly

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
Thanks for keeping the forum updated on this issue.  The information is very valuable for future users.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
"The good news is they said they would either replace or repair the unit since it is less than 30 days old."

This is interesting.  I thought the Davis VP2 had a 1 year guarantee (I know mine did). Is the Vue different or have all Davis models had their guarantee shortened?

Curious

George

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
They might mean that if it's less than 30 days old, they'll replace it, otherwise, repair or replace if necessary.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »
George, thinking the same thing.  That's not just nice, I would plain expect it. 30 days, 60 days 365 days.

After what Wetterdale said about sending his in his vp2, sounds like they got a lot of Vue's on the bench right now.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
Think I'd better keep my fingers crossed about mine? So far I have no complaints and it's working like a champ.

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Midnight Star 1 Station At Rumsey Island Joppa, MD
  • Senior Contributor
    • Midnight Star 1 At RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD Local Weather Conditions
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I just had the "LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1" message on my Vantage Vue too. Got this nice unit end Oct 09
I went & got a DL123AB2U Duracell ULTRA lithim battery which crosses with the CR123, CR123A, & EL123A
Went up on my roof, replaced it with a brand new battery, reset my ISS yet it still gave the "LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1"
What stopped it from displaying for my console was hitting the done button 3 times
Don't know why cause it's not in the book but so far so good
Keep in mind that it has only been ok since last night so I can only hope it stays this way
Another thing I noticed when I removed the old battery was the date on it. It read 2009 04 & the new battery says Mar 2010
The old battery is the one that came with my Vantage Vue.
I also ordered the Sanyo battery from Ambient. Don't know if it is a better battery but its not a Duracell & I am partial to Duracell from personal experience
Let me know if my solution works for you. Also, as soon as you see the "LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1" message, replace the battery asap
In the manual it says this lithium backup battery last 8 months (Battery Life (3-Volt Lithium cell) 8 months without sunlight - greater than
2 years depending on solar charging) before going out so I'm looking for that much time or more. I got my Vantage Vue end of Oct 09
Sorry but I gotta tell you this also. When I got my Vantage Vue I set the tripod & ISS up & turned it on in my dinning room for one week. It was running for that time on battery power alone cause no sunlight could have reached it. Watch for that as well. Let me know what happens.
STEVEN B. SADLER
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 Wireless, ISS Pole Mount Back Yard
KMDJOPPA3 Wunderground, WeatherLinkIP, DW3776 CWOP
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »
one thought...
 if the Vantage Vue console is like the VP2 or Vp1 console, after you replace the battery on one of those low station messages, the message stays until after midnight (not sure why or the logic on this).   I had that happen several times and got frustrated hiking out  in the snow and cold, depleting my cr123 battery supply and cussing a lot directed toward the battery people.

So I then called Davis Tech support and they told me that either wait until the next day or go into setup on the console and cycle through the settings and then the message would reset.

Again, not sure why but probably a big lobby of the battery union put that in .   

Now...you could be having to replace the battery because the super capacitor isn't holding the charge.  It could be defective and then the battery is running the whole operation, or it could be the solar panel or a combination.

I'd call Davis if this happens again, call their tech support line.  Have them send you a new unit in exchange for the old one. IF they balk let them know why you bought Davis and they'll come around . .They are nice people there.  They also might change out the ISS board in the unit which has the super cap or the solar panel as well.  They will make it right by you, just don't wait and let the warranty run out

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
Got the very same message today.

"Low Battery Transmitter 1"

Went through the setup menu to turn it off and about 30 minutes later, it showed back up. Went to the ISS on my rooftop and nothing is blocking the Solar Panel.

Will call Davis tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Very happy with the performance of the system.
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »
Gosh I hope this is not going to be a trend!!
Last time I looked mine wasn't displaying that error message.
If that be the case I maybe better order a spare battery just in case!
Getting anything in a hurry around here is almost impossible.

Keep us posted as to what Davis support says if you end up having to call them.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline christophercawley

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »
Hey y'all!  I'm having the same problem.  Just got off the phone with tech support and they're going to ship out a new transmitter for the ISS.  The guy said they're pretty easy to change out, and then send back the faulty transmitter.

Fingers crossed!

Have a great day everyone!

CoCoRaHS:  NC-CL-01
KNCWHITE02, DW4505 (CWOP)
CWOP:  DW4505

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the update!! I have my fingers crossed I don't have this problem. But if I have to have it  best to be within the warranty period :)

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »
...interesting.  I wonder if Davis will ask you first to replace the battery or they just send out the replacement once you report the error message?

Hey y'all!  I'm having the same problem.  Just got off the phone with tech support and they're going to ship out a new transmitter for the ISS.  The guy said they're pretty easy to change out, and then send back the faulty transmitter.

Fingers crossed!

Offline christophercawley

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »
Actually when I called, the technician did ask me if I tried replacing the battery (  :shock: !!) which I said, yes, I did replace the battery...but then 2-1/2 days later I get the same message -- low battery transmitter 1.  That's when he replied that "it sounds like a bad transmitter...okay, I'll ship out a new transmitter" etc., etc.  He also asked me if I was sure that the battery cover was properly installed, that the "back" end (not the thumbscrew) was actually in place (because apparently some folks weren't doing that properly).  I said that yes, everything was correct.  He didn't ask me in a condescending way or anything, but just in a way of "covering all the bases." 

I'll post an update when I get the new transmitter and we see what happens.

(I wonder if by "transmitter," he means "super capacitor"...for the solar panel...my guess is the same as the one mentioned previously, perhaps the capacitor isn't holding the charge and that during the night the thing is running on battery power alone, thus draining the bats...?)

...interesting.  I wonder if Davis will ask you first to replace the battery or they just send out the replacement once you report the error message?

Fingers crossed!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
It could be the supercap, of course.

When you take out the old board, look it over carefully.

Here's a picture of a supercap (not exactly like the one in the VUE, I'm sure, but similar).
http://letsmakerobots.com/files/imagecache/robot_fullpage_header/files/field_primary_image/SuperCap.jpg

If there's a bunch of "crud" around the supercap - like it leaked or something - that's probably what failed.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
When you take out the old board, look it over carefully.

You can't really see the supercap clearly on the Vue SIM board - the whole board is encapsulated inside its white casing in gel.

In general, although the Vue sensor specifications, wireless technology etc are very similar to the VP2, the detailed design inside the Vue ISS is quite different - there isn't much about it that maps across from the VP2 ISS. Supercaps on the Vue are effectively non-replaceable - I think the board design, encapsulation etc is intended to give the whole SIM board a long life, although no doubt there will be the very occasional exception.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything