Author Topic: W3DRM - My Red Build Log - Minden, Nevada  (Read 12364 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: W3DRM - My Red Build Log - Minden, Nevada
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
And, the second image that wouldn't upload due to filesize limitations...

See the previous post in this thread for the link to the full-size file of this image.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:18:42 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
I've been playing around with my settings and have noticed that my "B" Channel seems to be dead (not to be outdone by Ken, of course)  :-(

So, that will be my next task to focus on. I just attached my V2 Loop antenna and that is when I noticed the apparent lack of signal on the "B" side.

Hey Ken, can I borrow your brand-new scope???  :lol:

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »
No joy on Channel B, so far. Still looking for the problem. I swapped the inputs from the antenna but the problem did not follow so it does look like a problem in the Chan B circuitry. Will work on it more tomorrow.

However, I forgot to mention that I wound my V2 Loop antenna a little different than the plans show. I wound each with a total of 35 turns; however, I brought out taps on each loop at turns 10 and 20. Those taps are wired to a 2-pole 6-position rotary switch. Watching the waveforms on the network, I can see a significant change in signal amplitude being shown when I switch from one position to the other. In fact, I can put it in Interference mode simply by switching to the 35-turn position.

Not sure what I can do with this but at least my idea seem to be working.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2013, 07:11:25 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. I noticed what appears to be a missing solder joint in the ST Discovery board header (I think).

See the arrow, fourth down from the top.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. I noticed what appears to be a missing solder joint in the ST Discovery board header (I think).

See the arrow, fourth down from the top.

Greg H.

Greg H,

Thanks for the pointer - I checked the connection you pointed out but it must be just the angle the photo was taken at. That pin is soldered.

I'm going to attempt to troubleshoot without an o'scope today and see if I can find out why the one channel doesn't seem to be working. I may even try to get one of the pc-based scopes running on my laptop and see what happens.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
You might want to follow my suggestion to Ken in this post: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20265.msg195696#msg195696
I looked up the ST Discovery board pins fed from the input circuit. These lead to the ADC circuit in the micro. You could check everything from the antenna to almost the ADC. It should be fairly safe and easy to probe on the top side of the Discovery board.

Greg H.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »
Still working on getting an oscope that works. However, in the meantime, I just noticed that my one channel seems to have detected a strike SE of Bermuda. That is about 3,367 miles from here - based on a distance calculated by (http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm)!

Wow, I'm impressed.

I found this when looking at a string of strikes in the Atlantic SE of Bermuda on the Blitzortung Overview map. For kicks I selected my stations (808) and lo and behold, there was this single strike being shown! First time I've noticed that this lonely station in northern Nevada actually contributed to the network.

I should add that my complete Blitzortung system is sitting in my computer office not more than 10 feet from my desktop and two laptops - all running. I am using STP Cat 5 wiring but the antenna is in the same room. My gain settings are 5 x 2 with a threshold setting of 120mv.

I must get the other channel running, and soon so I am ready for our summer lightning season...

Maybe it was just a lucky noise spike that hit at the right moment???

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:10:10 PM by W3DRM »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
Still working on getting an oscope that works. However, in the meantime, I just noticed that my one channel seems to have detected a strike SE of Bermuda. That is about 3,367 miles from here - based on a distance calculated by (http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm)!

Wow, I'm impressed.

I found this when looking at a string of strikes in the Atlantic SE of Bermuda on the Blitzortung Overview map. For kicks I selected my stations (808) and lo and behold, there was this single strike being shown! First time I've noticed that this lonely station in northern Nevada actually contributed to the network.

I should add that my complete Blitzortung system is sitting in my computer office not more than 10 feet from my desktop and two laptops - all running. I am using STP Cat 5 wiring but the antenna is in the same room. My gain settings are 5 x 2 with a threshold setting of 120mv.

I must get the other channel running, and soon so I am ready for our summer lightning season...

Well, ya must remember weird things were happening on the BT board today...  :twisted:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2013, 12:49:18 AM »

Wow, I'm impressed.

Well, ya must remember weird things were happening on the BT board today...  :twisted:

True but, I don't think the servers for the board (forum) would have anything to do with those used to collect the data coming from the detectors. But, of course, I could be wrong on that assumption. I'm still thinking it may have been just a coincidence...

Anyway, forecast for tonight here in Minden is -2 degrees F and -8 tomorrow night. Was out tonight and after our couple of inches of snow today, the roads were really icy. Lots of black ice and along with that numerous accidents.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »

... forecast for tonight here in Minden is -2 degrees F and -8 tomorrow night. Was out tonight and after our couple of inches of snow today, the roads were really icy. Lots of black ice and along with that numerous accidents.

...just imagine yourself  near Bermuda watching the strike you detected   ;)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »

... forecast for tonight here in Minden is -2 degrees F and -8 tomorrow night. Was out tonight and after our couple of inches of snow today, the roads were really icy. Lots of black ice and along with that numerous accidents.

...just imagine yourself  near Bermuda watching the strike you detected   ;)

Yes, lying on the  deck of a sail boat in the warm sunshine with a light breeze blowing over me - ahhh, I can just feel it now.......  :grin:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
Well, after some serious delays in getting my photos together, I am finally ready to post a few photos of my external antenna box. It's made of a sheet of 3/8" x 4' x 8' OSB. Probably a bit of overkill but, with our potential for both high-winds (60+ mph) and severe winter weather, I decided to over-build it. It is now completed except for a couple minor things like touching-up the paint and tightening some of the bolts holding it together. The photos are shown below.

• My Blitzortung Antenna Housing Structure:

• With hinged top open:

• Looking into the box you can see a shelf holding the Ferrite
    antenna and amp board.

• Another view looking at the top of the open cover.
    The E-field antenna and pre-amp are located in the upper
    section of the PVC pipe.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
Looks great Don. Built like a tank, I love it.

Maybe needs some lightning bolt logos or something on the side of the box.  :lol:

Your H-Field antenna really is "ground wave"...  :shock:

Greg H.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
That is the strangest outhouse I've ever seen... not only is it upside down,
 the seat looks very uncomfortable, and the outlet pipe looks a tad small. Short Legs????
Target Practice? No catalog, no door, and what's with all the fancy electronic odor remover stuff?

You might find some assistance on this issue here
and more information here

---
 :twisted:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:39:53 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »
I really got a good chuckle out of that one Mike!

Greg H.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
I really got a good chuckle out of that one Mike!

Greg H.

Me too!!!
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
I'm going to ignore those comments...  :roll:

However, just discovered something this evening when I was showing my setup to our newest Nevada Ortunger. He just received his H-field kit today but won't be able to do anything with it for a week or two as he is still recovering from the flooding we had here about a month ago. His ham shack got pretty badly flooded and full of mud & silt. Once he gets that back together, he'll begin his BO building.

Anyway, I was showing him my signals via the local interface and noticed that my H-field B channel had a lot of ringing on it. That is not normal for my setup. It turned out the input connector for the B channel antenna had come loose and the wire could easily be pulled out by hand. I tightened it back up (and checked the other connections). The signal cleaned right up and is back to normal again. It must have come loose when I opened up my hinged-box.

So, if things suddenly change, it might be a good idea to check the tightness of all of your antenna, coax and Cat-5e/6 cabling connections.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2014, 10:47:55 PM »
I'm going to ignore those comments...  :roll:

However, just discovered something this evening when I was showing my setup to our newest Nevada Ortunger. He just received his H-field kit today but won't be able to do anything with it for a week or two as he is still recovering from the flooding we had here about a month ago. His ham shack got pretty badly flooded and full of mud & silt. Once he gets that back together, he'll begin his BO building.

Anyway, I was showing him my signals via the local interface and noticed that my H-field B channel had a lot of ringing on it. That is not normal for my setup. It turned out the input connector for the B channel antenna had come loose and the wire could easily be pulled out by hand. I tightened it back up (and checked the other connections). The signal cleaned right up and is back to normal again. It must have come loose when I opened up my hinged-box.

So, if things suddenly change, it might be a good idea to check the tightness of all of your antenna, coax and Cat-5e/6 cabling connections.
Well, it's a hobby... so if you choose to ignore fabulous hints about outhouses, from experts, do so...  let us know if those dirt dauber/wasp chasing electronics you've embedded in that structure work... ????

Returning to serious stuff.. I had a similar issue after modifying my 'cardboard' H field mount... loose wires that appeared tight... good catch, Don... and one that could be easily overlooked... you apparently found it faster than I did... ... ... duh....