Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue wind issue  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Kamakzie

Davis Vantage Vue wind issue
« on: March 25, 2019, 11:18:09 PM »
Hello, I've had this weather station for going on 10 years. Recently the wind speed isn't being calculated very well. My father went up on the roof today and fixed it but it still isn't showing a wind speed at times even when the wind is obviously blowing. Would there be anything I can do to fix this other than buying a whole new weather station? Would buying new cups do any good? Maybe I'm expecting too much for such an old weather station?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Davis Vantage Vue wind issue
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
You could send it in to davis to refurbish your unit.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »
Any guess as to how much that would cost?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:30:02 AM »
Any guess as to how much that would cost?

Not really sure but last time I did it... Was around 100 dollars plus shipping.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:35:55 AM »
You wouldn't have to replace the whole Vue ISS just the part associated with the anemometer sensors, not that hard to replace yourself.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 04:06:24 AM »
You wouldn't have to replace the whole Vue ISS just the part associated with the anemometer sensors, not that hard to replace yourself.
I've never owned nor had a Vue ISS in hand, but from all I understand replacing individual parts is nothing like the VP2, whereas I can attest, everything is modular child's play.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 04:37:10 AM »
The Vue ISS is much more modular (as such in the true sense) than the VP2 which I would class more as individual components.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:44:24 AM »
The Vue ISS is much more modular (as such in the true sense) than the VP2 which I would class more as individual components.
Certainly possible my word usage is inexact. All I know is that the VP2 is super simple to disassemble and replace parts, I can't see that in a Vue.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 04:48:01 AM »
Depends what the problem is:

If it's simply a stiff/seized wind speed bearing then the mechanical part can be replaced.

But if it's a circuit-related issue, eg reed switch in an old Vue going faulty then chances are that the best solution will be a complete new ISS (or a Davis refurb which is close to the same thing other than the case).

Vue stations up to Rev F (can't remember exactly what year this maps to but eg 2011/12) did have separate sensor and transmitter boards which were individually replaceable, except: (i) this was later superseded by an all-in-one harness for improved reliability; and (ii) it's getting increasingly difficult to source the individual spares for Rev F and before.

All in all for a Vue dating from eg 2009-2012 IMO it's best to replace the complete ISS. The original Vue sensors will have given decent service for eg 8-10 years but will all be wearing and drifting. And the cost of the replacing individual parts, especially the transmitter board, is still not cheap and may require other parts being replaced before too long. Best to bite the bullet and replace the complete ISS.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:51:51 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ashland weather

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
try changing the channel on the station and console.  my ISS lost wind speed late last year, I changed the channel on the station and the console. that repaired the problem.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:57:06 PM by ashland weather »

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »
I had this problem with a used unit that I purchased.  I purchased a new Wind Speed Cartridge from Scaled Instruments for around $16 plus shipping and installed it myself with no problem.  Fixed the wind issue.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »
So I would just need this https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-271-vantage-vue-wind-speed-cartridge/ ? What I also need the wind cups or just use the old ones?

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 03:46:20 PM »
Yeah since my unit is from 2009 it might be a good idea to get a new one.           

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »
So I would just need this https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-271-vantage-vue-wind-speed-cartridge/ ?

Probably not. But right now you have provided scant information as to the symptoms. If it is actually a 10yo Vue then the most likely cause is a faulty reed switch. A new wind cartridge isn't going to fix that. Is the wind cups spindle still easy to turn or is it stiff or stuck?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
It seems to still spin freely but I think it's probably time to retire this one.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
It seems to still spin freely but I think it's probably time to retire this one.
You may want consider just a VP2 ISS as your replacement, your Vue console will work fine with it.

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 05:31:59 PM »
You may want consider just a VP2 ISS as your replacement, your Vue console will work fine with it.

A little rich for my blood plus I really could use a new display as well because the battery compartment was corroded by battery acid and no longer functions as a battery backup.

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
I just noticed today that it seems to be working again. It's a little breezy so I don't know why. I'll probably try to hold out longer as all the other functions work properly. Just a little weird.