Author Topic: Incorrect weather prediction - 5 in 1  (Read 539 times)

Offline Jo060

Incorrect weather prediction - 5 in 1
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »
I have noticed that my 5 in 1 weather prediction is seldom correct. Does this work off of the Barometric pressure?
It typically always says chance of rain, but on days (like today), it's pouring down rain outside but the display shows partly cloudy.

Basically, any day it rains it hasn't shown rain, all other days it shows rain.
Maybe Florida's funky weather confuses it?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Incorrect weather prediction - 5 in 1
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
It's a future forecast.

Offline Jo060

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »
It's a future forecast.
Good to know, Thanks.

It's said rain for the past few weeks and this was our first rain.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:36:18 PM by Jo060 »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »
My 5-1 console has NEVER forecasted even close.  Ever.  It's worthless.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »

It's the 5-in-1's display that creates the forecast from the data the 5-in-1 collects. The 5-in-1 itself does no forecasting. Some displays have a geographical region to select from, but others do not. I will agree that the forecasting didn't seem to be the greatest most of the time. It also doesn't take into consideration a front that may be coming a few days before or complex weather systems. It is limited because it is one location's data rather than comparing data from multiple locations like they do for professionally developed forecasts and the algorithm used in the displays may not be perfect. The future forecast is really only good enough for showing basic future weather trends.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:45:48 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
These days it's probably best to get a console that pulls from a reputable forecast provider rather than having the console try to do it itself.

Of course, maybe someone will come out with a console AI that can compare forecasts to actual results.  Maybe even give the forecast services a "grade".

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »

It's the 5-in-1's display that creates the forecast from the data the 5-in-1 collects. The 5-in-1 itself does no forecasting. Some displays have a geographical region to select from, but others do not. I will agree that the forecasting didn't seem to be the greatest most of the time. It also doesn't take into consideration a front that may be coming a few days before or complex weather systems. It is limited because it is one location's data rather than comparing data from multiple locations like they do for professionally developed forecasts and the algorithm used in the displays may not be perfect. The future forecast is really only good enough for showing basic future weather trends.

Nice try:  https://www.acurite.com/learn/glossary/weather-stations/precision-forecasting
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »

Nice try:  https://www.acurite.com/learn/glossary/weather-stations/precision-forecasting

They make it sound like it is state-of-the-art, but I was never impressed, unfortunately.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »
They make it sound like it is state-of-the-art, but I was never impressed, unfortunately.
I think of all of them as "weather guessers".  ;)

Some guess better than others but none are perfect. For example I have 5 weather apps on my iPhone and most of the time they all show a slightly different forecast. I just browse through them until I find the forecast I like and go with it. :-)

anything