Author Topic: WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.
« on: February 21, 2019, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi folks,

Wanted to create one more thread because i really want to know all the pros and cons of these 3 weather stations. I have heard good and bad about all 3. I’ve really read some awesome reviews though about the ws-2902 especially being able to report to cwop and other wx sites. For example of all 3 of these stations which is more durable and has the best wind/gusts interval? I just want to be able to get the best overall weather station within these 3. I think I read the ws-2000 doesn’t report something or is missing something the ws-2902 has. Again any advice will be greatly appreciated big time. My budget is within 200-280$
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:22:24 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
The Atlas has the better wind performance. It also has the ability to get the anemometer extension. The Ambient all-in-one design is a compromise. But there are other Fine Offset clones like the Ecowitt HP3501 that has separate components. But the Atlas still has the better sensor with the SHT31 instead of the SHT30.
UPDATE: Ecowitt is soon releasing an SHT35 chip sensor model WH32-EP (May 2020)

The WS-2000 has better display than the WS-2902A. The WS-2000 is missing Rain Rate but Ambient said it will get it soon with a firmware update. But the WS-2000 has a different rain rate called Hourly rain that the WS-2902A doesn't have. The WS-2000 shows everything on the screen without the need to press a button, it is annoying if you want to see all the data with the WS-2902A having to press buttons.

More durable?.... Probably a toss up. The old Ambient stations definitely would not last. This new generation is better. None of these are as good as a Davis though in terms of durability. Then again do you really need your station to last 14 years? I don't, because I want new stuff even if it still works. The SHT30 or 31 as good as they are, there already is better like the SHT35/85. And I'm sure there will be better a few years from now. So I don't have a problem upgrading hardware after a few years. So durability is not a huge concern. Now if I spent Davis money I would expect 5 years at least. But their sensors are only lasting 18 months and then you need to spend $50 on replacing. OK reasonable maybe? An Ambient entire outdoor sensor array is about $75. So if it lasts 2 to 3 years I'm good. Reasonable too right?

Without being biased I could list out a huge list of pros and cons for all of these. But what matters most is what you want it to do for you. I know you want it all. So do I. But that does not exist. So what are the most important things for you in order and what can you live without? And what is a must.

There is no clear winner. Even if you toss Davis in the ring.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:45:03 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline jjh92

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:15:00 AM »
Another consideration is RF range between sensors and console.  Ambient and Acurite advertise 100 meters but most people say there are problems even less than 100 ft.  Davis advertises 1000 ft range.  Don't know if it really achieves that but there are not many reports of Davis RF range issues.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
The Atlas has the better wind performance. It also has the ability to get the anemometer extension. The Ambient all-in-one design is a compromise. But there are other Fine Offset clones like the Ecowitt HP3501 that has separate components. But the Atlas still has the better sensor with the SHT31 instead of the SHT30.

The WS-2000 has better display than the WS-2902A. The WS-2000 is missing Rain Rate but Ambient said it will get it soon with a firmware update. But the WS-2000 has a different rain rate called Hourly rain that the WS-2902A doesn't have. The WS-2000 shows everything on the screen without the need to press a button, it is annoying if you want to see all the data with the WS-2902A having to press buttons.

More durable?.... Probably a toss up. The old Ambient stations definitely would not last. This new generation is better. None of these are as good as a Davis though in terms of durability. Then again do you really need your station to last 14 years? I don't, because I want new stuff even if it still works. The SHT30 or 31 as good as they are, there already is better like the SHT35/85. And I'm sure there will be better a few years from now. So I don't have a problem upgrading hardware after a few years. So durability is not a huge concern. Now if I spent Davis money I would expect 5 years at least. But their sensors are only lasting 18 months and then you need to spend $50 on replacing. OK reasonable maybe? An Ambient entire outdoor sensor array is about $75. So if it lasts 2 to 3 years I'm good. Reasonable too right?

Without being biased I could list out a huge list of pros and cons for all of these. But what matters most is what you want it to do for you. I know you want it all. So do I. But that does not exist. So what are the most important things for you in order and what can you live without? And what is a must.

There is no clear winner. Even if you toss Davis in the ring.

Wow thanks for this post! Very tricky decision indeed...the ws-2000 looks very nice the only weather station I’ve had is my 5-1. I just want to make the best decision without loosing any data. So interms of durability, rainfall and winds the ws-2000 and the atlas are the same? I used a pvc tube with my 5-1 at my house but I see the atlas is crazy big and might sway depending how high I put it. I live in Florida so no snow to worry about. I plan on using a pvc with the ws-2000 if Indeed get it with cement in the ground in my backyard in a good area away from trees and a good distance from house if possible. Is it me or the data graphics from the ws-2000 looks far superior then acurite? Thanks again for your help

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
The mounting solutions are not very pleasing for my backyard in terms of the ws-2000 the acurite atlas sure makes it much easier.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
Another consideration is RF range between sensors and console.  Ambient and Acurite advertise 100 meters but most people say there are problems even less than 100 ft.  Davis advertises 1000 ft range.  Don't know if it really achieves that but there are not many reports of Davis RF range issues.
With Ambient stations distance RF reception issues have been solved by industrious DIY'ers

All you need is a 915 MHz yagi antenna. $18
https://www.amazon.com/Phonetone-Outdoor-Directional-Antenna-Connector/dp/B00EC804SO

Pictures and results good.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35470.msg366723#msg366723

So interms of durability, rainfall and winds the ws-2000 and the atlas are the same?
No, wind is better on the Atlas. Because of a few things; it has an optional wind extension, it is rated for up to 200 Mph. The Ambient is an all-in-on design so you wont be able to extend the wind higher than the base, and the wind is only rated to up to 100 Mph. Also Atlas is rated at 1 mph accuracy where the Ambient is rated at 2.2 mph accuracy at low winds..at higher winds they both are 10% accuracy. As for durability they both look very good....maybe slight edge to the Atlas.

I used a pvc tube with my 5-1 at my house but I see the atlas is crazy big and might sway depending how high I put it. I live in Florida so no snow to worry about. I plan on using a pvc with the ws-2000 if Indeed get it with cement in the ground in my backyard in a good area away from trees and a good distance from house if possible. Is it me or the data graphics from the ws-2000 looks far superior then acurite? Thanks again for your help
The WS-2000 does seem to have the nicer screen. I would not use PVC with either station. It won't be much more expensive to get a nice strong pipe and mount so that you can service by tilting or if you have other ways of reaching easily. You'll want to do maintenance every 3 months to clean debris and spider webs.

The mounting solutions are not very pleasing for my backyard in terms of the ws-2000 the acurite atlas sure makes it much easier.
I don't see how mounting solution would be different for one versus the other. You need a 1 to 2 inch pipe for Ambient and 3/4 to 1 1/4 for Atlas.
Tele-Pole

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »
Atlas comes with attachment like the 5-1 which you can add 4 screws and your done to even wood. So a thick 2 by 4 to the ground cemented and done.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:48:26 AM by Adrian23 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:20 AM »
Hmmm I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. From the pictures I've seen of people with the Atlas I've not seen that yet. I don't think it sounds like the most appealing mounting solution...easy yes, pretty no. And what happens when that two-by-four rots or breaks? Then you've got concrete stuck in the ground that will be hard to deal with. If you just get metal pipe then you never need to worry about it. Here is a what some have called the best kept mounting secret.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-1-3-8-in-x-10-ft-6-in-17-Gauge-Galvanized-Top-Rail-328913DPT/100322532
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:01:42 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
Any suggestions how I can get this installed in my back yard?

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 08:09:04 PM »
Wow so many negative reviews on Facebook about the Acurite Atlas apparently it is not a good  unit at all. All sorts of connectivity issues and reporting rediclous readings. Still leaning towards the ws-2000.

See this below just one of many posts from the acurite Facebook group.

This unit has been a joke. Bought it 2 months ago and nothing but issues. Lighting sensor reporting over 1K strikes every day with perfect weather. I asked for a new unit that was working properly they refused and I had to send mine back. After 3 weeks the unit was returned and work properly for a few days then it started to have issues.  As we can see by the picture above there's obviously something wrong.

Offline JasonSullivan

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
I’ve really read some awesome reviews though about the ws-2902 especially being able to report to cwop and other wx sites.

This is what I found.  https://ambientweather.net/help/do-ambient-weather-stations-support-cwop-or-aprs/

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Wow so many negative reviews on Facebook about the Acurite Atlas apparently it is not a good  unit at all. All sorts of connectivity issues and reporting rediclous readings. Still leaning towards the ws-2000.

See this below just one of many posts from the acurite Facebook group.

This unit has been a joke. Bought it 2 months ago and nothing but issues. Lighting sensor reporting over 1K strikes every day with perfect weather. I asked for a new unit that was working properly they refused and I had to send mine back. After 3 weeks the unit was returned and work properly for a few days then it started to have issues.  As we can see by the picture above there's obviously something wrong.

I call BS.  I'm on the Facebook groups all the time. 

"MD" is a hot-head who has been complaining for a long time.  Wouldn't trust anything from that guy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:56:25 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
Truth be told the Atlas had a lot of issues with the lighting sensor for a good many months when it first came out. It took them a while to figure that one out.  But Acurite solved that problem. There have been other issues but like anything else...you only hear from the people having the issues and you don't tend to hear from those that are happy. If you dig deep enough your find issues with any brand of dead consoles, or bad sensors, and need for RMA's. That might be one of the reason's both Ambient and Acurite both decided to close their user forum.
Tele-Pole

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 10:57:54 PM »
Which of those will fire off to Wunderground data in less than 15 seconds per report?
I want rapid fire response and I'm looking to replace my acurite since they have totally screwed me with the smart hub.
Found this thread and saw those options myself as in
something like this
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRBY9NP/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2ANVX7C75D1I&psc=1
I don't want to use a Acurite product anymore.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 11:21:46 PM »
Both the WS-2000 and the WS-2902A will send to Weather Underground every 16 seconds.

The WS-2000 has the nicer screen and more features and includes graphs on the display and will log to SD card and is also expandable to extra sensors.
Tele-Pole

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
Well!  I have had Acurite for many years, I went through 2 of them in the past 7 years.  I had the Davis system when I live in Floyd Knobs, IN, but moved and left it with the house.

Recently, this past Christmas, my wife bought me a new Acurite system, that came with the old smart hub, why was this still on the market and being sold as it was obsolete and I did not know?

On 02/21/19 I received an email from Acrurite stated 2nd notice that the hub will not be supported and I had to upgrade. I contacted Acurite and they claimed to have given me a code for 35% off.  I went to use this code this past Monday 03/03/19 and the code is invalid.  I have open several tickets and they do not respond.  Needless to say, I will not be buying another Acurite product ever again.

Recently joining this forum, which has a lot of educated users, I am leaning towards the WS-2000, will this be a good choice?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
Recently, this past Christmas, my wife bought me a new Acurite system, that came with the old smart hub, why was this still on the market and being sold as it was obsolete and I did not know?

It wasn't.  In fact, getting a SmartHUB months before it was announced as discontinued was a hard thing to do. 

They were almost universally "out of stock".

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »

It wasn't.  In fact, getting a SmartHUB months before it was announced as discontinued was a hard thing to do. 

Since I received it in new condition, your remark is incorrect.  I was looking for suggestions and again, this should not have been available for purchase, she bought from someone on ebay in August last year, gave to me on Christmas.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »

Recently joining this forum, which has a lot of educated users, I am leaning towards the WS-2000, will this be a good choice?
Well I like my WS-2000. It isn't perfect, but I haven't found that any system is. I would certainly say it is worthy of recommending as long as you take your due diligence and understand its all limitations like 100 feet RF range, limited to 100 mph wind, limited humidity range of 10% to 99%...etc. What I do like about my Ambient Weather station is the ease and flexibility of adding various supporting hardware/software solutions to expand your weather data usage.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »

Since I received it in new condition, your remark is incorrect.  I was looking for suggestions and again, this should not have been available for purchase, she bought from someone on ebay in August last year, gave to me on Christmas.

My remark is quite correct.

There are no authorized Acurite resellers on eBay.

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »

You can keep your Atlas I see in your image, but a simple search

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R6.TR10.TRC1.A0.H1.TRS1&_nkw=acurite+weather+station+5+in+1&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Acurite

Don't know if authorized but there are quite a lot of sellers.

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »

Well I like my WS-2000. It isn't perfect, but I haven't found that any system is. I would certainly say it is worthy of recommending as long as you take your due diligence and understand its all limitations like 100 feet RF range, limited to 100 mph wind, limited humidity range of 10% to 99%...etc. What I do like about my Ambient Weather station is the ease and flexibility of adding various supporting hardware/software solutions to expand your weather data usage.

Thank you for your response!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »

You can keep your Atlas I see in your image, but a simple search

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R6.TR10.TRC1.A0.H1.TRS1&_nkw=acurite+weather+station+5+in+1&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Acurite

Don't know if authorized but there are quite a lot of sellers.

Don't know what your comment about my Atlas image has to do with anything, but be advised there are many questionable sellers on eBay for all sorts of things.

Acurite has emphatically stated that they have no authorized resellers on eBay and that they aren't covered by warranty.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
So is Acurite selling these units to the wholesale market and then absolving themselves of warranty responsibility or is there another explanation for the 250+ new 5-in-1 pws's on ebay?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 03:19:45 PM »
So is Acurite selling these units to the wholesale market and then absolving themselves of warranty responsibility or is there another explanation for the 250+ new 5-in-1 pws's on ebay?

:roll:

Care to make up any other unfounded accusations?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:28:19 PM by nincehelser »