Author Topic: Newbie CWOP question  (Read 4776 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Newbie CWOP question
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »
Where do I check MADIS?

You don’t. It is a guarded secret!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »
It is discouraging to see the X's beside my data when I know I have worked hard to present accurate data reports. Disheartening.
Well, you look fine here.
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/regress_database_top.cgi?stn=F4369

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
My station displays on MADIS okay.

Do they have a QC a person can check?

Will I arrested for asking this?  :-)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »
It is discouraging to see the X's beside my data when I know I have worked hard to present accurate data reports. Disheartening.

Thanks. Guess I should learn to wait for CWOP. Also need nice weather to get that new sensor installed. Sometime in May, likely.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:54 PM »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:54 PM »

Thanks. Guess I should learn to wait for CWOP. Also need nice weather to get that new sensor installed. Sometime in May, likely.

Good idea. Have you calibrated your console with correct pressure? Remember, what gets sent to CWOP as it relates to pressure comes from your console not sensors in your ISS. And, as discussed in a lengthy thread elsewhere in this Forum, CWOP wants altimeter, not sea level pressure.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.25
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:48:58 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 09:49:08 PM »
Done. Also a couple of forum members have checked it and say I am on the money.

Thanks for QC link. Couldn't find it. MADIS map I have accessed.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 10:09:24 PM »
When you go to the standard Gladstonefamily.net web page the default is to see results from the last 27 or 28 days.
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F4369

Since you started 14 days ago with bad barometer data and you only corrected it 4 days ago you can see why you have a red X for barometer. What you see is an average of all the data from the last 27 to 28 days. So for it to be a pretty green check and thumbs up it is going to take a while for you barometer. Probably going to take 2 or 3 weeks. Worst case it takes a full 24 more days for a total of 28 good days (4 good days so far).

But there is a way to see a limited narrower recent days of analysis. If you click on the link on your analysis page that says Last 3 days then you'll see the analysis results of your recent barometer calibration work. After a week after fixing you can click on the link that says Last 7 days and as time goes on you might be interested in seeing more than a month analysis to see trends in your sensor quality to see if it is beginning to fail so you can click on Last 26 weeks as an example. But you won't see the 26 week link until you have 6 months of data. The links that show up are Last 3 days, Last 7 days, Last 14 days, Last 4 weeks, Last 8 weeks, Last 13 weeks, Last 26 weeks, and Last 52 weeks. But if you look at the resulting URL with any of these you can actually edit the URL link and create your own analysis period.

Here is the results of Last 3 days.
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F4369?days=3#Data

So your barometer is good. You don't need to worry about it. But the dew point is bad and you need to replace the temperature and humidity sensor. The sooner the better to get to seeing that green check and thumbs up with that sensor analysis. If you go for a full month with that bad sensor then it will take you probably almost a full month after you replace it to see the green marks for dew point.

Bottom line is that when there is a bad sensor or miscalibration the sooner you fix the better and if you fix it soon then the green marks come back quicker.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:13:06 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »
Thanks for that. Appreciate it. Trying to learn.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
The last CWOP membership list is dated 2/4/2019, do we dare hope for a new update a month later on 3/4? I understand they were affected by the gov't shutdown and they are likely understaffed but a month? I'm new so I don't know how long the wait has been in the past, hopefully they will add some of us newbies soon. I think others have been waiting even longer than I have - don't give up yet.
George
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 08:20:59 PM »
The last CWOP membership list is dated 2/4/2019, do we dare hope for a new update a month later on 3/4? I understand they were affected by the gov't shutdown and they are likely understaffed but a month? I'm new so I don't know how long the wait has been in the past, hopefully they will add some of us newbies soon. I think others have been waiting even longer than I have - don't give up yet.
George

The government shutdown purportedly put CWOP support behind by 35 days—business days or calendar days—who knows? I have a unfilled support request from February 2.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:28:03 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »
The government shutdown purportedly put CWOP support behind by 35 days—business days or calendar days—who knows? I have a unfilled support request from February 2.

Wow, thanks for that info.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
I'm new so I don't know how long the wait has been in the past...

In the past it was nearly instantaneous (a day or less) to get an ID and be able to start sending data to FindU. Then it took a week or less to get fully registered and for data to be processed by MADIS tops. The database was updated weekly on Wednesdays. That's how it was for me in August 2018. I even requested to modify my location and that happened within a day.

Looks like things are definitely moving along differently now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:15:18 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline uajqq

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
Definitely share the frustration. My station appears on MesoWest and has for the past month, so apparently data are getting to MADIS just fine, but I still don’t appear on the MADIS surface map or Gladstone. Emails on this topic are all unreturned and I’m stumped. Still holding out hope that it’s just a matter of time!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »
CWOP member list updated yesterday 3-4-19. Seems like it is a monthly thing now.
Tele-Pole

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 06:33:29 AM »
Sadly, my 1/29/2019 request is still not on the March list.....  :-(
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »
Well something is up with some of these new registrations taking over a month. It doesn't make sense when the last registration I see working is FW4596 and that first shows data in FindU of Feb 1st. Then FW4596 data also shows up on Mesowest Feb 1st. Then Gladstonefamily.net shows data also from Feb 1st and analysis data starting on Feb 6th and that makes sense because it was a Wednesday. If anyone has a station ID with older FindU data and you completed the registration before Feb 1st and you have an ID with a lower number and you still aren't seeing data, something is wrong. Either your registration didn't make it or your email is not being received or the registration information is missing something.

I would say if matters aren't resolved by tomorrow Wednesday March 6th, that you should investigate or follow up again with your registration.

The government shutdown ended on Jan 25th. Could it be that registrations prior to this are in limbo?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:13:07 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 07:52:42 AM »
I must be looking in the wrong place. When I look at http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt   I still see 2/4/19. Edit: Never mind, it must be cookies. I tried a different browser and got the new list.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:57:13 AM by gwminor48 »
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
I now see my station on aprs.fi:

https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FFW4597

So does this mean everything is cool?
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline uajqq

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »
If anyone has a station ID with older FindU data and you completed the registration before Feb 1st and you have an ID with a lower number and you still aren't seeing data, something is wrong. Either your registration didn't make it or your email is not being received or the registration information is missing something.

My ID is FW4377, registration was completed 1/28, and data have been flowing to findu since long before that, so there’s definitely something up. I finally got this email today in response to an email I sent last week:

This issue has been forwarded to the MADIS team.  We will contact you once the issue has been diagnosed and resolved.  We do not have an expected time frame for resolution presently.

So it looks like they’re at least acknowledging there’s a problem?

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
Looks like another update to the member list, now showing 03/05/2019 17:08. I'm still not on it but just an fyi for anyone else watching. Looks like FW4617 is still the last number, so mine is 5 numbers away. Anyway, maybe there is hope that they are doing some catching up.
George
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
FW4617 may be the newest registered member but that isn't the issue. The issue is being ingested by MADIS and then having Gladstonefamily.net pick up the analysis data. The latest registered ID to have accomplished this is FW4596. Then you look at when they started publishing data to FindU and that was February 1st. So what I'm saying is that if that was accomplished on February 1st then anyone that request to be fully register before February 1st (and with a lower ID) should be seeing their data on Gladstonefamily.net with analysis data. If not then something went wrong somewhere.

So anyone that registered after February 1st then yes backlog can be blamed. For anyone else waiting over a month before this, then worry and follow up with concern.

We'll see what happens tomorrow Wednesday which is the big day of the week when MADIS database is updated.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:07:08 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
I now see my station on aprs.fi:

https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FFW4597

So does this mean everything is cool?

No, that just means your packets are flowing through FindU APRS servers which automatically makes you part of the APRS network. Anyone can do this without even a registration and without even a valid station ID.

The fact that you are not yet showing up on MesoWest and NOAA's NWSd is not promising that you'll show up on Gladstonefamily.net tomorrow.
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=F4597

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=lox&sid=F4597&num=48

Tele-Pole

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »
Can you explain the significance of gladstonefamily.net and where the data would appear there? I'm not sure I'm all that excited about having my stuff show up on a site that looks like it was developed with an early version of Netscape 20 years ago...
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
The significance of Gladstonefamily.net is that it was designed to present the MADIS analysis in simple and quick to understand graphs and error reports. This is not the only place to get analysis because you could go to MesoWest and get some analysis there too but it is a much simpler report that that doesn't give all the depth of detail. You could also go to MADIS Surface Map and get a quality control report card but again that is basically just telling you if you pass or fail and then it is up to you to figure out how to fix things.

Gladstonefamily.net analysis only includes MADIS results if you are in the US or Canada. But that doesn't mean that Gladstonefamily.net is useless for anyone else as you do still show up for any station elsewhere. It allows you to see graphs of your own data. You can also use it to then create custom graphs of your station compared to a neighbor station to sort of create your own analysis. This is something I do even with stations that don't automatically show up as being neighbors. There are a couple stations to me that are near but Gladstonefamily.net doesn't present them to me automatically. To do this you can manipulate the URL to create these custom graphs with the stations you want. In the comparison URL you basically insert &addnl=XNNNN where XNNNN is a station ID and it makes that station's graph show up alongside your station in the same graph. It might even be useful to compare two places in different parts of the world to see differences in weather, to compare highs and lows on any given day for example. The easiest way to start is to choose a nearby station and then in the resulting URL you can then modify it to the stations you want, as it isn't limited to just two. Just keep adding more &addnl=XNNNN one after the other.

Gladstonefamily.net has also been criticized by many that it inappropriately compares you to neighbors whose data could be all wrong and your data is the only one that is okay, and thus you end up with bad analysis reports and thumbs down and red X's. So these analysis and reports should be taken lightly, especially if you know your stuff is right. But I would say that in most cases it is useful and informative. Gladstonefamily.net sometimes glitches and it isn't the fault of any neighboring station. This last happened October 2018. I don't know the frequency of these glitches but lets put it at maybe once or twice a year, as I've read old CWOP posts and I see evidence that this has happened before.

Being on CWOP does feel like an old archaic system in many ways. There are so many components to it that can add some complexity to understand everything that is going on. Being on CWOP is more like a synergy of different systems and networks coming together to each play a roll in delivering information and an experience. There are lots of dead links in the various related sites and outdated information, with sometimes conflicting information, and it has not been kept up to date in many ways. But there is nothing else quite like it. It is the only way to be a part of something rather large and very important. So yes it feels as ancient as it really is, but once you master what it has to offer it can feel very powerful and useful.

I invite you to take a look a this thread that discusses all the places your data ends up at by being a part of CWOP.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35089.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:29:39 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything