Author Topic: Newbie CWOP question  (Read 4774 times)

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
Newbie CWOP question
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:25:52 AM »
I see the data my station FW4622 is sending at findu.com. I don't see my ID at wxqa.com either by search or members list. Is this something that just takes a few days? I have no problem waiting but I wanted to make sure I had things set up correctly. I see something about which CWOP server to use. I have Cumulus 1.9.4 set at the default cwop.aprs.net -  is that correct?
Thanks,
George
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
Re: Newbie CWOP question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »
I just started sending data last week sometime. I now see my station (FW4597) on the active members list for the first time today (haven't been checking every day, so not sure when exactly it was added). I'd say give it a few days.

Edit: 4617 is the last FW number they have listed - so it shouldn't be long.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
Thanks!
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »
I have Cumulus 1.9.4 set at the default cwop.aprs.net -  is that correct?

yes
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
CWOP has been affected by the US government shutdown. So if you send in updates or changes to cwop.support, they may take awhile.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
Thanks @galfert and @WheatonRon.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline Astrobar

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:51:42 PM »
I too am waiting for CWOP registration. I'm an Amateur Radio Operator though, and emailed cwop-support requesting to have my callsign (KD7BMX) registered weeks and weeks ago. I have no idea if the request has been received. There's conflicting information on how to go about this, and the information is ancient. So....

Are there any hams who can tell me if I've gone about things correctly, or what the modern proper way to go about this is?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:13:56 PM by Astrobar »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:14:58 PM »
It's always taken a couple days for Madis to do its thing and start showing up. Currently, there is no GOV shutdown but should kick back in soon with the deadline looming. With the political atmosphere, I don't expect a resolution any time soon.  The current funding offer I saw will unequivocally get vetoed.   
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
The current funding offer I saw will unequivocally get vetoed.
Obviously getting waaay OT here, but I like Ted Cruz's idea, use El Chapo's money.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
Obviously getting waaay OT here, but I like Ted Cruz's idea, use El Chapo's money.

Yeah me too! 14 Billion!
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
I too am waiting for CWOP registration. I'm an Amateur Radio Operator though, and emailed cwop-support requesting to have my callsign (KD7BMX) registered weeks and weeks ago. I have no idea if the request has been received. There's conflicting information on how to go about this, and the information is ancient. So....

Are there any hams who can tell me if I've gone about things correctly, or what the modern proper way to go about this is?

As I stated in a previous post in this thread, the partial government shutdown affected CWOP-support. I was advised by CWOP-support on February 7, 2019, that “35 days of requests” were ahead of my February 3 request (to correct an incorrect elevation of one of my pws—FW4350). My issue is still not fixed so I guess I have several more days to await correction based on NOAAs 35 day backlog. In the interim, I am flunking the Madis QC checks. CWOP has my elevation as 791 meters whereas the correct elevation is 791 feet, so my temperatures fail the QC checks—appropriate in view of significant incorrect elevation.

As you also appropriately noted, the guidance and instructions on how to work with and setup a pws on CWOP as outlined on its website is severely dated, has numerous dead links, and in some cases the guidance is just less than clear. I, and a few other folks, volunteered to help NOAA identify issues with CWOP and its website including the registration process and offered our time to help but our offer to donate our time and effort fell on deaf ears. Since Russ Chadwick retired from NOAA, the attention NOAA pays to CWOP is slight, at best. Whether that results from funding or lack of another “Russ-type” within NOAA I don’t know, but it is frustrating and has been for a couple of years since Russ left.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:38:45 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »

I'm in the same exact boat.  Submitted by email on 1/29, haven't heard peep since.  I've been feeding my weather via APRS using my callsign for a few years now, even by 2 meters at one point.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »

Yeah me too! 14 Billion!

I saw that but will take time I'm sure to gather assets. It's nice to know however our drug problem and its massive problems will start correcting itself.
My nephew just graduated from criminal law school in Dallas and is seeking work with border patrol now. He can't wait to get involved. It's a lengthy process to get hired so its taking time.
Randy

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
I sent my email on 2/4 so mine is even later than the others on this post. When I look at http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt the latest report was 02/04/2019 12:30 so I guess we'll just have to wait.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
I sent my email on 2/4 so mine is even later than the others on this post. When I look at http://www.wxqa.com/members.txt the latest report was 02/04/2019 12:30 so I guess we'll just have to wait.

Once your station goes through the CWOP sign up procedures and assuming you completed the CWOP registration process (e.g., confirming coordinates), your station will also get posted to MesoWest—a great website that has QC checks superior (my opinion) to those used at CWOP. Since CWOP is dragging their feet, you can send an email to MesoWest support now and they will start posting your pws data even though CWOP hasn’t completed its process as long as CWOP has assigned your station name—FWxxxx. You can reach MesoWest at: atmos-mesowest@lists.utah.edu
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:30:09 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
Thank you for that @WheatonRon!
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

What does this message mean?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »
It means you clicked on a dead link in Gladstonefamily.net. There are several of those, plus outdated information. The website has not been maintained nor updated in several years. It's unfortunate.
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
Beginning to question whether I want to continue with CWOP. Recently joined, but....

Extremely frustrated that all the corrections and time (not to mention help) I had with barometric pressure has not changed the big red X. Data has been corrected for 4 days, but still the thumbs down.

Now I have an X with dewpoint. This is likely Davis' fault with what I understand is an inferior sensor (installed in May) that has already begun to fail. I have the new sensor ready to install, but at 15 degrees and snow on the ground, I won't be doing the installation soon.

It is discouraging to see the X's beside my data when I know I have worked hard to present accurate data reports. Disheartening.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
Beginning to question whether I want to continue with CWOP. Recently joined, but....

Extremely frustrated that all the corrections and time (not to mention help) I had with barometric pressure has not changed the big red X. Data has been corrected for 4 days, but still the thumbs down.

Now I have an X with dewpoint. This is likely Davis' fault with what I understand is an inferior sensor (installed in May) that has already begun to fail. I have the new sensor ready to install, but at 15 degrees and snow on the ground, I won't be doing the installation soon.

It is discouraging to see the X's beside my data when I know I have worked hard to present accurate data reports. Disheartening.

Give them some time. As I posted earlier, CWOP got ensnarled in the government shutdown. I post three separate pws to CWOP, but my latest one, FW4350 doesn’t have the correct elevation in the CWOP database. So I flunk temperature QCs because I should based on an elevation 3 times what it should be if CWOP had the correct elevation of my pws. I don’t know if that was my fault when signing up or not but that is now irrelevant—I do have a request with CWOP to fix their records but the error corrrection is in the “queue”. If your station got properly registered, MesoWest should have your data and be posting it—how are their QCs on your pws?

Double check your elevation and coordinates.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:45:23 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 08:44:35 PM »
WheatonRon

MADIS data QC is  all  green
 I guess you are right. Time. 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »
WheatonRon

MADIS data QC is  all  green
 I guess you are right. Time.

What does MesoWest show?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
MesoWest is the one I mean above. All green

Obviously, a CWOP issue. Give them time but even without the government shutdown as an excuse, I still find MADIS to be flakey and really rely on MesoWest for QCs. Others that post in this forum agree.

anything