Author Topic: Smart Meter question  (Read 1401 times)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Smart Meter question
« on: November 11, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
Smart meters installed in subdivision this week. There are 4 that are on subdivision property - 2 wells, 1 community picnic pavilion & 1 entrance lighting/gate.

The power pedestal at the gate is an L channel frame with meter and power panel with 3 breakers on one side and a steel control box on the other side. 3 circuits in the panel - 1 for lighting, 1 for a power outlet and 1 for a gate controller.

The gate control panel has 6" antenna coming out the top for remote controls (garage door opener) which all stopped working the same day. :mad: :mad:  There is about 16-18" distance between the meter and the antenna. 

My question - how far from the meter will the antenna need to be to avoid interference? Or would it be possible to shield the antenna from the meter?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Smart Meter question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »
You're leaving an awful lot out.  You might want to re-read your post as one of us would who has no idea about your layout, the frequencies involved, the types of systems or their uses.

But you may just want to contact your power utility and have them come out to talk with you.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »
I've had a smart meter for the last 4 or 5 years - no impact whatsoever on my Davis, not 433 or 902 or Zigbee.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »
These are a pox on the community... they'll mess up a Blitzortung receiver in a picosecond when active..especially the 'on-demand' version... ok when not active, but sure can force a nearby VLF /ELF system to operate with reduced capability... there are four nearby and sometimes wish I also had a handy 8 gauge double barrel... or 105mm Howie... thank goodness they're not 'mandatory' in this area,... yet... we keep fighting it.... Of course their junk is sporadic and perhaps a bit less intense, than the failing mercury / sodium vapor 'security' lights that cycle all night trying to fire and stay lit.. ,... that the owners / utilities won't replace...
 ](*,) then there's robot lawn mowers, electric fences, dog collars, and the neighbor's power tools.... spiders on the weather cams, ... birds on the rain gauge, ... etc..
I've not noticed an issue with the VUE ISS transmissions,...

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
These are a pox on the community...

Amen - but they are mandatory here, unless you PAY to opt out - $120 one time fee + $12/month. It looks like the NC Utilities Commission looks out for the utility and not the public. That is very steep for a meter that normally only registers 15-25 kwh per month.

Since there were more than a dozen topics on this forum referencing 'smart meter', I was hoping that someone might have solved a similar interference problem.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
Mine is power line control, so no RF interference involved.  Information is sent within the electrical system to a box down the road where it's boosted and sent on to their system.

Offline graculus

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »
I've had a smart meter for the last 4 or 5 years - no impact whatsoever on my Davis, not 433 or 902 or Zigbee.

Same here, no issues with Davis or other several other wireless devices. Mine has two separate radios, one to call the mothership and one (zigbee I think) that communicates with my power monitor.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »
The meters used by AEP here apparently are mandatory and have been for several years since I found no way to opt out.
The Itron 210 meters here work in the 900 Mhz band and transmit on demand from a collector or on a schedule. I haven't noticed any interference from any yet but now that some have seen troubles I am sure gonna pay more attention.
One thing for sure our bill used to run $80/month and after the put those cancerous devices in operation it has never been under $100 + and everything was the same and they said the meter was fine! 

Sometimes progress aint all it's cracked up to be!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

anything