Author Topic: Bouncing anemometer  (Read 956 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Bouncing anemometer
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
While waiting for my granddaughter to get out of Central Campus today, I found myself watching the anemometer  at the NBC Affiliate station today.   We have a nice wind going but every now and then the thing would shift vertically a bit , as it did horizontally which would be normal.   At first I thought it is an illusion because of where I was sitting as well as  light.  But I began to really move around outside the car and , yup it moved slightly vertical, maybe 45 degrees, spinning.   Weird.  So I did send the station my observation and asked them if that was normal for their setup, maybe it measures something else as well as the obvious.  OR that something is loose and they need to send up a brave soul to check it out and fix things before the weather really gets nasty.

I have attached a picture of the unit

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Bouncing anemometer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
The RM Young anemometers have a "mounting post" that goes over a pipe. There are slits at the bottom that allows the base to constrict with a band-clamp that fastens the assembly to the post.

If the anemometer itself was jumping up and down, this clamp is probably loose allowing it to move on the pipe. It sounds like it is ready to come off and will be hanging from the cable soon.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:12:25 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
Ever try contacting at TV Affiliate station?    I sent them an email, tracked down one of their meteorologists, posted on their website.   So far no reply. SO.. Next week while I am waiting for my iMac to update, I am going to call the station and talk  to a human.    I suspect I could stop by the station as it is my pick up the kid day (we alternate days, she doesn't drive yet...  ) and go in.   

This is one of those stations that reports any storms in the state during prime time, regardless of whether or not they can even get the signal.   

Yup,  it would tilt about 40 degrees facing either NW  or SW  as the wind came around then drop down.   I mentioned it was probably a good idea to get that fixed while the weather is  good, rather than , as many of us have had to do, a repair in nasty , winter weather.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
Ever try contacting at TV Affiliate station?

Yes...until they took out a restraining order.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol: