Author Topic: Wireless USB for VP2 Console?  (Read 801 times)

Offline mikeinburien

Wireless USB for VP2 Console?
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
Hi everyone - I've been researching how I can remotely attach my VP2 console data logger to my PC and haven't come up with anything. My PC is in the basement and I'd like to have the console in the kitchen directly above it on the main floor. I'm looking for an elegant, no wire solution that allows the VP2 console to communicate with the PC.

I think Cables Unlimited used to make a wireless USB2.0 gadget, but that was 10 years ago and no longer available and I haven't found any other companies that make a wireless USB extender.

Maybe there's another way for the console to communicate with the PC? Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike - Seattle

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Wireless USB for VP2 Console?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:32:53 AM »
Replace the existing logger with a WiFi logger. (Assuming you have WiFi in the house and that whatever software you currently use is compatible - but it probably is.)

Or simply get a second Vue (ISS data only) or VP2 console or an Envoy unit.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mikeinburien

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Those are definitely workable options and based on your suggestion I looked into the 3rd party WiFi Logger. Spendy at 149 pounds. I guess the other thing I was looking for was cheap, meaning a USB wireless gadget for maybe $50 vs spending a $150 on the Vue or $200 or more on the WiFi logger or VP2 Console. The most practical appears to be the Vue console and from what I can tell it will receive both ISS and data from the remote anemometer.

Mike

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
You will still have to wire the console to your PC.  You could hardwire it -   or buy a clone USB logger from BellfryBoy.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »
You will still have to wire the console to your PC.  You could hardwire it -   or buy a clone USB logger from BellfryBoy.

I read the OP's post as meaning that he had a USB logger already, so the two suggested configurations are:

1. VP2 console upstairs and then secondary console fitted with USB logger in the basement next to the PC;

2. VP2 console upstairs fitted with WiFi logger broadcasting to PC in basement via WiFi network;

And yes Vue console will do ISS data plus remote 6332 anemometer
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
You could also replace the weather computer with a Raspberry Pi. Then you can have the computer in the kitchen and not notice it, since it is smaller than a deck of cards. This solution is in your price range!

Or you could build a Meteobridge.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:50:11 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mikeinburien

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
Wow! The clone is nice. :)  Yes, something would have to be plugged into the PC with either a logger or a USB wireless extender, but what I'm really hoping for is to simply have the console quietly sitting by itself on the kitchen counter with maybe only a USB antenna sticking out of it.

This is the gadget I wish was still made. Small and I think low cost, but alas no longer available. This gadget would simply transmit/receive data via wireless USB. I looked to see if there was some sort of Bluetooth gadget that supported USB data transfer but couldn't find one.

https://www.cnet.com/products/cables-unlimited-wireless-usb-kit-with-transmitter-and-receiver-with-base-network-adapter/

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
I do rather suspect that there's some significant issue with doing USB over WiFi. Various USB/WiFi bridges have appeared over the years - I did use one around 12/15 years ago - but none really seem to have lasted in the mainstream and it's not obvious why when it ought to be quite a widely useful device.

Silex is one of the names associated with this technology - see eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWERZMKSuY . The one I used I think was SX2000WG, but seems to be unavailable currently - maybe superseded by another model?

Personally I'd be more inclined to stick to one of the solutions suggested above - may be a bit more expensive but could well save a lot a time and hassle (unless you enjoy playing around with the technology of course).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline mikeinburien

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Yes, I do have a technical nerd side of me, but simple is always the preferred choice. :)  I wish the WiFi Logger was half the price since that would be perfect, but buying a second console, particularly the lower priced Vue model seems like a good choice. Dang. Why didn't someone make a Bluetooth gadget that you could plug USB into? That still seems like a good market. :)

I'm not familiar with that Vue console. Can my existing data logger plug into that? I could then put it into the basement and place the nicer VP2 Console upstairs.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »
You haven't marked your location but if you're in the US then Ryan has them for $139 IIRC. (Don't forget that our UK prices have to include 20% sales tax online and also include shipping.)

I'm not familiar with that Vue console. Can my existing data logger plug into that?

Yes (provided the logger is E revision or later) - that was my point really.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline mikeinburien

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
Location updated! And yes, that's a much more attractive price. Thanks for the tip on Ryan at Scaled Instruments!

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
galfert mentioned the Meteobridge solution.

You could also replace the weather computer with a Raspberry Pi. Then you can have the computer in the kitchen and not notice it, since it is smaller than a deck of cards. This solution is in your price range!

Or you could build a Meteobridge.

That will meet all of your stated needs and financial wants, plus it gives a lot of options to use the data from your weather station.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
The Meteobridge solution will work too - wirelessly.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline adnadeau

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »
How about a pair of XBees?  You can get them from SparkFun along with a USB dongle & an XBee regulated board for under $100.  They act just like a serial cable.  You'd have to supply 5V to the board on the logger, though, unless the logger can supply 5V.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
How about a pair of XBees?  You can get them from SparkFun along with a USB dongle & an XBee regulated board for under $100.  They act just like a serial cable.  You'd have to supply 5V to the board on the logger, though, unless the logger can supply 5V.

Interesting idea for the hackers in the crowd.  IIRC someone on this forum already did that?  Maybe Dekay??  https://www.digi.com/blog/community/xbee-tech-tip-sending-serial-data-from-one-xbee-wi-fi-to-another/

Offline klschmidt

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »

Or simply get a second Vue (ISS data only) or VP2 console or an Envoy unit.

I got a used Vue console on ebay for about $60. Another advantage of using a Vue is the ability to set the barometer to ALT. I really like having my VP2 console in the kitchen with no wires attached.

anything