Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184394 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #900 on: September 22, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »
Maybe IBM is being stingy with WU department. Then maybe this is deliberate sabotage by WU employees to get IBM to notice and not be stingy. I put the blame on IBM, not the poor wonderful WU employees that probably are overworked and lack resources. Let's direct our frustration with IBM, and not the WU department/subsidiary.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:43:47 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #901 on: September 22, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
Let's direct our frustration with IBM, and not the WU department/subsidiary.
Like they'd care. I'm betting IBM will eventually try to sucker off this hot mess to someone else.

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #902 on: September 22, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
Like they'd care. I'm betting IBM will eventually try to sucker off this hot mess to someone else.
I don't think so. IBM wants the data. They don't care about the website. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #903 on: September 22, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »
IBM wants the data.
Why? He with the most toys....

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #904 on: September 22, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »

Could IBM be stupid enough to not realize that without the website and all those (now very irritated) PWS data suppliers that the data just might stop coming in?

Personally, I wish that weather.unisys.com would venture into this area. Unisys has had the best overall straight up WX web, data, and analysis outside of NOAA itself for decades now (I've used Unisys WX since the 1990's at least).

Unisys's WX division is, and has been, geared towards the commercial WX user market, with custom WX solutions for many government, military, and business sectors. While at the same time making much of their product accessible to all.

Unisys of course has other lines of business, as the successor to Burroughs and Sperry UNIVAC. (Anybody else remember using Burrough's hard disk drives? The huge ones with the nice air compressors for the heads.)

Unisys developed the software for NEXRAD.
With their proven competence it might be worth it for them to step into this particular WX segment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisys

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:23:30 PM by Jstx »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #905 on: September 22, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
Unisys of course has other lines of business, as the successor to Burroughs and Sperry UNIVAC. (Anybody else remember using Burrough's hard disk drives? The huge ones with the nice air compressors for the heads.)
:-) Sorry OT, but you betcha! That's what put data on my radar display til at least the mid 90's, and the older it got, the more it crashed. 8-[

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #906 on: September 22, 2018, 10:08:46 PM »

I’ve been wishing DarkSky would provide a means for PWS owners to feed their localized systems. They are younger and far more interested in providing good data. It’s IBM that wants our data. While it won’t kill them if we turn it off, it will definitely make a dent in their revenue streams. Besides, I believe DarkSky would be far more willing to work with us.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #907 on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
It's not you. It's WU

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #908 on: September 23, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »

Yes, those were the Head-Per-Track disks. No moving coil. The compressor was used to force the heads close to the platters. Each head had a contact point and if it touches the platter, the compressor shuts down. The platters where about 3feet in diameter.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Skyking69

« Reply #909 on: September 23, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »
Reference the quotes below, after a couple of neighbors asked me and I checked, we too are getting periodic "An error occured: backend failure" messages.  My console and associated computer have correct date and time, the Internet connection is rock solid; any further suggestions?   :roll:

Check your time on your station/computer.  I see observations coming in 20 minutes late, this is past our threshold for current data

My station KCOBLACK2 had some issues with the anemometer. They were fixed on Saturday the 3rd of August 2018. When can I expect to see my data show up on the published web site, I know it is getting to WU because I can see in on my dashboard. Come on it is not rocket science to again show my data.
 ](*,) :evil:
Davis Vantage Vue | VWS V15.00
WU, PWSWeather - KTXHONEY1
CWOP - CW5846

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #910 on: September 23, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
:-) Sorry OT, but you betcha! That's what put data on my radar display til at least the mid 90's, and the older it got, the more it crashed. 8-[

Those drives were used in many different systems over almost two decades. Ours were used in multi-redundant systems, so losing one or more dups wasn't an immediate problem.
They were hellaciously expensive as a unit, and by the bit or byte compared to today's storage, insanely expensive. They were pretty reliable though, and they could actually be rebuilt and/or refurbished in many cases (a place in Westlake, CA did it, IIRC). There may still be a few working.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #911 on: September 23, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Reference the quotes below, after a couple of neighbors asked me and I checked, we too are getting periodic "An error occured: backend failure" messages.  My console and associated computer have correct date and time, the Internet connection is rock solid; any further suggestions?   :roll:

Check your time on your station/computer.  I see observations coming in 20 minutes late, this is past our threshold for current data

My station KCOBLACK2 had some issues with the anemometer. They were fixed on Saturday the 3rd of August 2018. When can I expect to see my data show up on the published web site, I know it is getting to WU because I can see in on my dashboard. Come on it is not rocket science to again show my data.

Looks like you recently had 3 days of not reporting September 19 - 21. You are back online now since the 22nd. So you probably fixed your time clock issue. The backend failure is a separate issue that has nothing to do with your end. That is a WU web server issue that they are currently having affecting everyone. Just keep hitting refresh on your browser 4 or 6 times.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:44:15 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #912 on: September 23, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »

Yes, those were the Head-Per-Track disks. No moving coil. The compressor was used to force the heads close to the platters. Each head had a contact point and if it touches the platter, the compressor shuts down. The platters where about 3feet in diameter.

Huge units. Needed to keep those heads flying. They had a buffer air tank of about 4-5 'gallons' down below the drive itself, like your garage comp, that could keep the heads flying for hours without air compressor running. Top quality units. When those systems were decommissioned and eventually headed for scrap, those very nice, but heavy, air compressors and tanks disappeared so fast you could hear the air hissing out the doors from the quickly disconnected hoses (saw a bunch go woofa right there around Houston).
Dinosaurs, but that's tech, had to evolve from somewhere.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #913 on: September 23, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »

Looks like you recently had 3 days of not reporting September 19 - 21. You are back online now since the 22nd. So you probably fixed your time clock issue. The backend failure is a separate issue that has nothing to do with your end. That is a WU web server issue that they are currently having affecting everyone. Just keep hitting refresh on your browser 4 or 6 times.

I've noticed other anomalies too.
1. The radar box doesn't always display 'my' station 'dot' w/temp. Refresh doesn't cure.
2. I usually keep my chart/table set on display "Weekly" range. Lately, sometimes, it only graphs the first few days of the weekly period.

WU is certainly having some probs. I guess if one steps back and considers just how much data they are handling and storing (the history goes back many years, it might be fortunate that it all hasn't just gone crashing into the ether. But then again NOAA, et al. handle much more.
Like MS Windows, they just need to quit messing with 'upgrades'. Windows has had a couple of months of really irritating updates (like they ever end   ](*,)).

Offline EricP

« Reply #914 on: September 23, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »
When I was working we thought IBM stood for "It's Being Mended" - perhaps we were right :roll:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #915 on: September 23, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »
When I started working in IT the saying was something like, "Nobody ever got fired for buying/recommending/hiring/consulting with IBM." And back then IBM had a very good reputation...Expensive...but they delivered.

Tele-Pole

Offline Rising Barometer

• dorn2@outlook.com
« Reply #916 on: September 23, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
My name is Sean and I work at the Weather Underground.  There have been some big changes in the organization in our company.  We are a new team that has been tasked with working to bring WU back to a working state, with the users as our primary focus.   Our goal is to be fully transparent with the community as we work to resolve some of the issues with the Weather Underground products, particularly as it relates to our PWS users. 

Our hope is that with some communication and some sharing of our plans as clearly as possible, we can help to make changes for the positive.  Our initial goal is to start pinpointing PWS issues that you all are experiencing.  We are already aware of a number of issues that are affecting a large portion of the PWS user base.  One thing we would like to know from you is the #1 issue you are having.  If you have specific issues with your PWS, feel free to private message your email and PWS ID.

We know that many of you are frustrated by your experience.  We are going to do our best with what we have to improve, and to be as transparent as possible about our progress.

EDIT:  Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/hqC0tb0u/weather-underground  This contains the current issues we are tracking.  We have enabled comments so don't hesitate to comment on the board for specific issues.  Please continue to let us know what we need to focus on to make the products better for you.

Hi WU (Sean, too).

I would like to control centering of WunderMap upon opening.

My station KWAPUYAL74 is in Washington state. But WunderMap always kind of centers around the S.F. Bay area.

I would like WunderMap to center on my own station. Thanks both to WU and WxForum members.

--Hank

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #917 on: September 23, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
I would like to control centering of WunderMap upon opening.

My station KWAPUYAL74 is in Washington state. But WunderMap always kind of centers around the S.F. Bay area.

I would like WunderMap to center on my own station. Thanks both to WU and WxForum members.

--Hank

I assume you are referring to WunderMap on your computer browser versus on WunderMap on a mobile device. Very easy to do what you requested to save map view.

1 - Open WunderMap and zoom in just the way you want it to be.
2 - Turn side menu layer features on or off just the way you want (Temp/Wind, Precipitation) and/or Satellite, Radar..etc or any of those others that are listed.
3 - Then click the Save Prefs button up top. Done! Close the browser and open it again, go to WunderMap and it should remember how you saved.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:09:50 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Rising Barometer

• dorn2@outlook.com
« Reply #918 on: September 23, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
Thank you for the assistance Galfert and best wishes down in Florida!

Offline g4jnw

• my station
« Reply #919 on: September 24, 2018, 06:11:18 AM »
I have noticed more and more, failures, (back end failure) I have to keep refreshing my personal website.
I bought the weather station to help me and local fishermen/women friends and it can't be relied upon.
A friend asked me to recommend a weather station and i can't justify any that are sending data into wunderground, which mine does.
They have to sort it or people will just buy independent ones, when it works its good but unreliable, hell YES.

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #920 on: September 24, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
It looks like we've got a handle on the backend failures issue now; identifying and removing a very small bit'o'code, and monitoring for a few hours, gives us confidence this issue has been resolved.

I thank you all for sharing your data points and especially offer thanks to those of you who remain positive as we work to resolve these things, remembering that on the other side of every message posted, there are actual living, breathing people reading those messages...who, at the end of the day, are all just trying to do their jobs as best as possible with the tools they've been given.

Regards,
WUToddG

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #921 on: September 24, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »

Thank you Todd for all your and your team mates hard work. I remain optimistic that hopefully soon WU will be a better place and may you get the resources you need to do a better job.

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #922 on: September 24, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
...who, at the end of the day, are all just trying to do their jobs as best as possible with the tools they've been given.

Regards,
WUToddG

I think this is code speak for IBM is not funding WU as they should. Shame. SMH.
Tele-Pole

Offline EricP

« Reply #923 on: September 25, 2018, 03:01:06 AM »
It looks like we've got a handle on the backend failures issue now; identifying and removing a very small bit'o'code, and monitoring for a few hours, gives us confidence this issue has been resolved.
Looking good so far; but what about the widgets - "No Data"? Or is that a separate issue?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:17:18 AM by EricP »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #924 on: September 25, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
Request for WU Android App PWS Barometer Fix

Please fix pressure for PWS in your Android app - It needs to show barometer pressure in hundredths not tenths using inHg. Not precise enough now. You have the data why are you cutting it off? This messes up mb conversion by a couple mb at times. This should be an easy fix. Just show inHg barometric pressure with two decimal places and that will fix the mb conversion. It shows up fine with two decimal places on the web, unfortunately not on the Android app.

Makes no sense how now WU has limited inHg to only show 3 digits (xx.x) but mb is kept at 5 digits (xxxx.x). Even when using inHg with 4 digits it is not as precise as mb with 5 digits which is why I prefer mb. This is why it is strange how WU has made an already poor unit of measurement even worse.

* mb = millibars = hpa

Since we are discussing units and significant number of digits the website could also use a little help here. On the website whenever the the pressure ends in .0 or even say .10 it cuts off the last 0. If a measurement was done to a certain level of precision then those zeros are important, they shouldn't be dropped. Because when it is dropped then one can assume that the level of precision isn't there. So 30.10 inHg is not the same thing as 30.1 inHg. Same thing happens in your graphs when you mouse over data. Please stop dropping significant zeros.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:14:55 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole