Author Topic: Inside the Newsroom  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Inside the Newsroom
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »
I thought some of the folks here might find it interesting to see inside the newsroom, so here it is.

This is WOWK-TV 13 in Charleston, WV. We are the 63rd ranked market out of about 225, so we've got a pretty large base (we cover a lot of counties).

The first image below shows the green screen, where the meteorologists conduct their forecast. They also stand behind that wooden desk for the beginning of the newscasts as a preview.

The second image shows the green screen and desk on the left, with the meteorologist's computer area where they forecast on the right. These meteorologists mainly use Baron weather products to make their forecasts, but they also use a few WSI products. They use 8 monitors, so they definitely have plenty of room to use their products.  8-)

Finally, the third photo is just the main newsroom in general, which sits to the right of where the meteorologists' forecasting area is. The producers sit closest on the right side, and the news directors and anchors sit on the left. The photographers sit on the right and left in the back. I sit on the desk where this photo was taken.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Inside the Newsroom
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:16:51 AM »
Nice and very interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess wearing green clothes is tabu for all meteorologists :D

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
Thanks for the insight Joseph.

I have been thinking about calling and visiting our local TV station, just haven't done it yet.

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Our office probably wouldnt be very interesting. I work in the Meteorology/Climatology department, its just a regular office which I share with one more person, with a desk, a PC and thats it. The Forecasting department is upstairs, but it probably wont be much more interesting either. Its not a TV room, there are 4 big LCD screens with radar images etc., 3PCs and one big LCD TV, which is usually off. They just issue forecasts here and warnings if necessary, and sometimes make forecasts directly live to some radio station via phone call.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the insight Joseph.

I have been thinking about calling and visiting our local TV station, just haven't done it yet.

Paul

It's not as great as it looks  ;)

Our office probably wouldnt be very interesting. I work in the Meteorology/Climatology department, its just a regular office which I share with one more person, with a desk, a PC and thats it. The Forecasting department is upstairs, but it probably wont be much more interesting either. Its not a TV room, there are 4 big LCD screens with radar images etc., 3PCs and one big LCD TV, which is usually off. They just issue forecasts here and warnings if necessary, and sometimes make forecasts directly live to some radio station via phone call.

I would much rather be there!  8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com