Author Topic: WS-2000 Barometer calibration confusion  (Read 3513 times)

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
WS-2000 Barometer calibration confusion
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
First post!

I have had the WS-2000 for a few months now and have returned back to the issue of properly calibrating atmospheric pressure. Galfert's posting about a new web based tool to help calibrate pressure prompted me to take a second look at my settings. A hat tip to galfert!

As a PWS newbee I confess to being entirely confused about Absolute pressure, relative pressure, station pressure, altimeter pressure,etc.

In re-reading the manual and reading ( a lot) of posts here, I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track.The manual suggests adjusting Relative pressure to the closest airport weather station. That is where I got into trouble.

First of all, my pressure settings became entirely wonky as I was trying to adjust Absolute pressure and Relative pressure at the same time. I got the impression of chasing one's own tail.

I wanted to get back to the default settings. Can I assume that measured pressure from the external indoor sensor (WH32B) is Absolute pressure and that the reading on the WH32B sensor should initially be the default Absolute pressure on the calibration screen of the WS-2000? At least as a starting point?

Since I reside in Canada, I use hPa as the government weather service up here uses kilopascals. The use of kilopascal however causes a slight problem as it is not as accurate as hPa. For example if my current reading on the display console is 1023.5 hPa , the closest Environment Canada weather station might report it as 102.3 kPa or maybe 102.4 kPa rather than 102.35 kPa You lose the last digit. Not sure if they round up or down.

If my understanding is correct, in order to calibrate pressure manually you have to convert measured pressure at current altitude (Absolute Pressure) to sea level pressure(Relative pressure). This the offset calculation that galfert kindly points out.i.e. 1013.25 hPa (sea level pressure)minus measured pressure (Absolute pressure)at current altitude = offset pressure

Since my altitude is 192 meters, the offset should be 22.76 hPa according to the web based calculator.

So if I have not gotten everything wrong so far you ADD 22.76 hPa to the measured air pressure (Absolute pressure) on the external sensor to get the corrected sea level Relative Pressure?

The Environment Canada weather station is reporting right now 102.5 kPa and my newly calibrated WS-2000 reads 1022.5 (102.25 kPa)so I am off by .25 kPa which seems it is off quite a bit.

However galfert suggested adjusting absolute pressure to get the required offset. i would have thought you set absolute to measured and then adjust relative pressure to obtain the calculated offset. Confused? Relatively and Absolutely! Any help to clarify would be greatly appreciated.
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Re: WS-2000 Barometer calibration confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
How close is the airport you're using as a reference? I have two near me, they're about 10 miles away from each other and they (almost) always read at least a little differently. Right now for example one is showing 1014.0 mb and the other 1014.2 mb. Unless you're very close (less than a kilometer or two) I wouldn't worry about a small difference.

Since my altitude is 192 meters, the offset should be 22.76 hPa according to the web based calculator.

So if I have not gotten everything wrong so far you ADD 22.76 hPa to the measured air pressure (Absolute pressure) on the external sensor to get the corrected sea level Relative Pressure?

The Environment Canada weather station is reporting right now 102.5 kPa and my newly calibrated WS-2000 reads 1022.5 (102.25 kPa)so I am off by .25 kPa which seems it is off quite a bit.

I think you're on the right track and depending on how close the airport is I don't find .25 kp to be that far off.

Hope that helps.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »
First post!
Welcome!

I have had the WS-2000 for a few months now and have returned back to the issue of properly calibrating atmospheric pressure. Galfert's posting about a new web based tool to help calibrate pressure prompted me to take a second look at my settings. A hat tip to galfert!

As a PWS newbee I confess to being entirely confused about Absolute pressure, relative pressure, station pressure, altimeter pressure,etc.
Well thank you! Glad you found the information I posted helpful. I think you understood it pretty well and you almost got it.

Absolute Pressure is the same as Station Pressure. This is the pressure indicated by a calibrated barometer (but not yet corrected to Sea Level). This is the raw pressure at your elevation.

Relative Pressure is your corrected pressure to Sea Level. That could be Sea Level pressure or for some people that choose to do so it means Altimeter. This is a personal choice if you make Relative = to Sea Level or = to Altimeter. This is an argument that I don't want to hash up here yet again. Just pick one...or ask elsewhere which one to make Relative pressure be equal to Sea Level or equal to Altimeter. If you don't know just use what number the airport says and take that to be Relative. Sea Level Pressure and Altimeter differ slighting in formula used to correct for elevation and they also serve different purposes for some people. At lower altitudes Sea Level and Altimeter are almost the same...at higher elevations they start to drift from one another and also when the temperature swings too hot or too cold you'll also see differences. This is because Altimeter's formula uses a fixed standard temperature of 59F and Sea Level pressure uses an average of the previous 12 hours (that's the basic difference...without going into details why one versus the other).

In re-reading the manual and reading ( a lot) of posts here, I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track.The manual suggests adjusting Relative pressure to the closest airport weather station. That is where I got into trouble.

First of all, my pressure settings became entirely wonky as I was trying to adjust Absolute pressure and Relative pressure at the same time. I got the impression of chasing one's own tail.
Yep, that is exactly what it feels like (chasing one's own tail) if you don't follow the right steps. It is unfortunate but with Ambient it is a bit counter intuitive to calibrate pressure. But once you see the whole picture it just clicks in your head and it is like a eureka moment of clarity. Hang in there. Using the nearest airport is still good practice even if it isn't close. You can look at isobar maps and calibrate at times when you fall on the same isobar line. I like to use Windy.com for this but you can use other sources for looking at isobars. I should probably create a new tutorial on how this is done and how that works. I'll try and do that at some point.

I wanted to get back to the default settings. Can I assume that measured pressure from the external indoor sensor (WH32B) is Absolute pressure and that the reading on the WH32B sensor should initially be the default Absolute pressure on the calibration screen of the WS-2000? At least as a starting point?
There is no need to get back to a starting point. I suppose you could factory reset but it really is not necessary at all. Just see below for what to do. You are almost there.

The WH32B has an LCD display that will show you somewhat of an Absolute pressure. I say somewhat because you can't calibrate it. It was calibrated from factory but from what I've seen they do a poor job of calibrating these. I ignore the reading on the WH32B LCD display. Once you have your station calibrated you'll see that it is most likely off. So just ignore that display. But yes you are correct that it could be a starting point for the WS-2000 display. You set this as a starting point by setting Absolute to match it if you want. But it really is a waste of time I think. It is an extra step that will just get undone as you move on to the next step.

Since I reside in Canada, I use hPa as the government weather service up here uses kilopascals. The use of kilopascal however causes a slight problem as it is not as accurate as hPa. For example if my current reading on the display console is 1023.5 hPa , the closest Environment Canada weather station might report it as 102.3 kPa or maybe 102.4 kPa rather than 102.35 kPa You lose the last digit. Not sure if they round up or down.
Interesting I knew Canada used this but I didn't know that they dropped a digit. Doesn't matter if they just chop it off or round up. When you calibrate your station it will be something you do over a number of days and you fine tune it till you feel good about it. By the way this fine tuning is done by changing Absolute to affect a change then in Relative. Yeah ....too soon...forget that part for now.

If my understanding is correct, in order to calibrate pressure manually you have to convert measured pressure at current altitude (Absolute Pressure) to sea level pressure(Relative pressure). This the offset calculation that galfert kindly points out.i.e. 1013.25 hPa (sea level pressure)minus measured pressure (Absolute pressure)at current altitude = offset pressure

You are absolutely correct. See you got it. But here is the part that you don't have to worry about. You don't need to know what Absolute pressure is yet. You just need to make Relative Pressure be that much different than whatever Absolute is currently showing. You are not calibrated yet. This step is not to calibrate any pressure yet. This step is only used to tell the WS-2000 console at what elevation you are at. Since you can't give it 192 meters you are basically doing that indirectly by making Relative pressure be that much 22.76 hPa more than whatever it currently thinks is Absolute. With this step complete you now have your elevation set. Next step is to calibrate with airport.

However galfert suggested adjusting absolute pressure to get the required offset. i would have thought you set absolute to measured and then adjust relative pressure to obtain the calculated offset. Confused? Relatively and Absolutely! Any help to clarify would be greatly appreciated.
Yes this last step is where you definitely are confused. But hopefully I made it more clear in my previous statement. In the previous step you dialed in a 22.75 hPa difference between Absolute and Relative. This is entered in by adjusting Relative. So when you adjust Relative all you are doing is entering in the difference between Absolute and Relative. You know this to be 22.75 so you never want to change that. So you never again touch Relative pressure in the console. But just because you can't touch Relative doesn't mean you can't affect a change in it by moving Absolute up or down by any given amount you need. What you are doing is adding or subtracting from whatever number Absolute is set while you actually are looking at Relative. In other words after you have the difference between Absolute and Relative you then look at what Relative is showing. Then you compare your Relative to the airport. Then you decide by how much you'd like to move Relative up or down to match the airport. You need to do some math and ask yourself how much you are off. That amount that you are off is what you add or subtract from Absolute. See by moving Absolute up or down by that amount you also move Relative up or down by the same amount....AND it automatically maintains the 22.75 difference between them.

So it is just two steps. 1) enter in elevation by putting in the elevation offset. 2) calibrate but do so by adjusting Absolute to indirectly affect the same change amount in Relative. 

This is why you don't need a starting point with Absolute. Once you finish these two steps you then learn what the real Absolute pressure is at your elevation. Then you can if you want look at the WH32B and see how much they differ. That difference is just the factory doing a poor job at calibrating the WH32B. But it doesn't matter...because your WS-2000 will be correct for both Absolute and Relative.

Changing Relative: All this does is set a difference between Absolute and Relative. Never change this to actually calibrate Relative. This is how the station learns of how high your elevation is.

Changing Absolute: All this does is move Absolute and Relative up and down by the same amount. They stay hand in hand because the other adjustment was to set this difference. This is what you change to actually calibrate. You enter in a change to Absolute and it changes Relative by the same amount up or down that you entered.

* Very important. On the WS-2000 it is necessary to adjust Relative Offset (difference between Abs an Rel) and then you need to back out and go back to the main screen. Do not change both Relative and Absolute at the same time....or you'll be chasing your tail.....because you need to set the offset between them first and that doesn't get finalized till you back out to the main screen and then get back in to calibration menu.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:44:23 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
Many thanks galfert! It is becoming clear. I think I have it!

Change relative to input the calculated offset and then change the absolute to move relative pressure to correspond with a known calibrated source like an airport. The offset is always maintained regardless of what you change absolute to. A "How-to" would certainly be a great benefit to first time owners of the WS-2000.
Thanks! [tup]
First post!
Welcome!

Well thank you! Glad you found the information I posted helpful. I think you understood it pretty well and you almost got it.

Absolute Pressure is the same as Station Pressure. This is the pressure indicated by a calibrated barometer (but not yet corrected to Sea Level). This is the raw pressure at your elevation.

Relative Pressure is your corrected pressure to Sea Level. That could be Sea Level pressure or for some people that choose to do so it means Altimeter. This is a personal choice if you make Relative = to Sea Level or = to Altimeter. This is an argument that I don't want to hash up here yet again. Just pick one...or ask elsewhere which one to make Relative pressure be equal to Sea Level or equal to Altimeter. If you don't know just use what number the airport says and take that to be Relative. Sea Level Pressure and Altimeter differ slighting in formula used to correct for elevation and they also serve different purposes for some people. At lower altitudes Sea Level and Altimeter are almost the same...at higher elevations they start to drift from one another and also when the temperature swings too hot or too cold you'll also see differences. This is because Altimeter's formula uses a fixed standard temperature of 59F and Sea Level pressure uses an average of the previous 12 hours (that's the basic difference...without going into details why one versus the other).

Yep, that is exactly what it feels like (chasing one's own tail) if you don't follow the right steps. It is unfortunate but with Ambient it is a bit counter intuitive to calibrate pressure. But once you see the whole picture it just clicks in your head and it is like a eureka moment of clarity. Hang in there. Using the nearest airport is still good practice even if it isn't close. You can look at isobar maps and calibrate at times when you fall on the same isobar line. I like to use Windy.com for this but you can use other sources for looking at isobars. I should probably create a new tutorial on how this is done and how that works. I'll try and do that at some point.

There is no need to get back to a starting point. I suppose you could factory reset but it really is not necessary at all. Just see below for what to do. You are almost there.

The WH32B has an LCD display that will show you somewhat of an Absolute pressure. I say somewhat because you can't calibrate it. It was calibrated from factory but from what I've seen they do a poor job of calibrating these. I ignore the reading on the WH32B LCD display. Once you have your station calibrated you'll see that it is most likely off. So just ignore that display. But yes you are correct that it could be a starting point for the WS-2000 display. You set this as a starting point by setting Absolute to match it if you want. But it really is a waste of time I think. It is an extra step that will just get undone as you move on to the next step.

Interesting I knew Canada used this but I didn't know that they dropped a digit. Doesn't matter if they just chop it off or round up. When you calibrate your station it will be something you do over a number of days and you fine tune it till you feel good about it. By the way this fine tuning is done by changing Absolute to affect a change then in Relative. Yeah ....too soon...forget that part for now.

You are absolutely correct. See you got it. But here is the part that you don't have to worry about. You don't need to know what Absolute pressure is yet. You just need to make Relative Pressure be that much different than whatever Absolute is currently showing. You are not calibrated yet. This step is not to calibrate any pressure yet. This step is only used to tell the WS-2000 console at what elevation you are at. Since you can't give it 192 meters you are basically doing that indirectly by making Relative pressure be that much 22.76 hPa more than whatever it currently thinks is Absolute. With this step complete you now have your elevation set. Next step is to calibrate with airport.

Yes this last step is where you definitely are confused. But hopefully I made it more clear in my previous statement. In the previous step you dialed in a 22.75 hPa difference between Absolute and Relative. This is entered in by adjusting Relative. So when you adjust Relative all you are doing is entering in the difference between Absolute and Relative. You know this to be 22.75 so you never want to change that. So you never again touch Relative pressure in the console. But just because you can't touch Relative doesn't mean you can't affect a change in it by moving Absolute up or down by any given amount you need. What you are doing is adding or subtracting from whatever number Absolute is set while you actually are looking at Relative. In other words after you have the difference between Absolute and Relative you then look at what Relative is showing. Then you compare your Relative to the airport. Then you decide by how much you'd like to move Relative up or down to match the airport. You need to do some math and ask yourself how much you are off. That amount that you are off is what you add or subtract from Absolute. See by moving Absolute up or down by that amount you also move Relative up or down by the same amount....AND it automatically maintains the 22.75 difference between them.

So it is just two steps. 1) enter in elevation by putting in the elevation offset. 2) calibrate but do so by adjusting Absolute to indirectly affect the same change amount in Relative. 

This is why you don't need a starting point with Absolute. Once you finish these two steps you then learn what the real Absolute pressure is at your elevation. Then you can if you want look at the WH32B and see how much they differ. That difference is just the factory doing a poor job at calibrating the WH32B. But it doesn't matter...because your WS-2000 will be correct for both Absolute and Relative.

Changing Relative: All this does is set a difference between Absolute and Relative. Never change this to actually calibrate Relative. This is how the station learns of how high your elevation is.

Changing Absolute: All this does is move Absolute and Relative up and down by the same amount. They stay hand in hand because the other adjustment was to set this difference. This is what you change to actually calibrate. You enter in a change to Absolute and it changes Relative by the same amount up or down that you entered.

* Very important. On the WS-2000 it is necessary to adjust Relative Offset (difference between Abs an Rel) and then you need to back out and go back to the main screen. Do not change both Relative and Absolute at the same time....or you'll be chasing your tail.....because you need to set the offset between them first and that doesn't get finalized till you back out to the main screen and then get back in to calibration menu.
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »

I am about 46 kms (about 29 miles) from CYZE. However, Environment Canada indicates 1030hPa but METAR-TAF shows 1028 hPa.

How close is the airport you're using as a reference? I have two near me, they're about 10 miles away from each other and they (almost) always read at least a little differently. Right now for example one is showing 1014.0 mb and the other 1014.2 mb. Unless you're very close (less than a kilometer or two) I wouldn't worry about a small difference.

I think you're on the right track and depending on how close the airport is I don't find .25 kp to be that far off.

Hope that helps.
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
---
---

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:19:59 AM »
My favorite place to get airport weather data is to use Aviation Weather Center:

https://aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=CYZE&format=decoded&date=&hours=1

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Using Windy.com you can get it to display pressure isobars. I've extended the isobars to show how to read them. It isn't 100% accurate but it gives you a rough idea. It is better to adjust your barometer when the isobar passes through you and through the airport you are calibrating with. It is also better to do it when the isobars are straight and when the weather is fair and pressure is on a day around 1013.25 hPa (29.92 inHg). But today right now seems like you should be about the same as CYZE. You can always fine tune on another day. Just do what you can and makes sense for today and you'll be very close.

There are separate settings in Windy.com to get the map to look the way I have it. There is one setting to show the isobars. There is another setting to get the cities to show the pressure. There is yet another setting to get the units you want showing (inHg or hPa...or even mmHg). This is probably another good idea for another tutorial. For now just fiddle with Windy.com and click on stuff to learn how it works.

* UPDATE * I've gone ahead and written that tutorial on how to use Windy for isobars.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36579.0
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:17:02 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:19:07 PM »
Looks like galfert has you pretty well covered with what you need to do to fine tune your pressure. The main point I was getting at is that there likely will be some difference in pressure over distance.

There are separate settings in Windy.com to get the map to look the way I have it. There is one setting to show the isobars. There is another setting to get the cities to show the pressure. There is yet another setting to get the units you want showing (inHg or hPa...or even mmHg). This is probably another good idea for another tutorial. For now just fiddle with Windy.com and click on stuff to learn how it works.
Windy.com is cool. I've used it a bit but haven't really played with the settings. I was able to get the map to display isobars (and show shaded/colored pressures) and change units but where is the setting to get cities to show pressure?

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:04 PM »
Thanks Jim_S. I appreciate your help. It is good to know that pressure won't be exact so I would be happy just to be close. In my case I am almost 30 miles distant from the weather station at the airport - maybe that is far enough to make a difference. I'll play around with windy.com as well.

Looks like galfert has you pretty well covered with what you need to do to fine tune your pressure. The main point I was getting at is that there likely will be some difference in pressure over distance.

Windy.com is cool. I've used it a bit but haven't really played with the settings. I was able to get the map to display isobars (and show shaded/colored pressures) and change units but where is the setting to get cities to show pressure?
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
---
---

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
Based on your detailed instructions, I re-calibrated my WS-2000 barometer settings this morning. Thanks for the aviation weather link. Those readings use more significant digits and are more accurate.
I was very pleased to see that albeit briefly, my newly calibrated Ws-2000 matched the aviationweather.gov hPa exactly! Likely i may have to fine tune however I am happy that I am pretty close.
I quite liked using windy.com and the isobars confirmed my readings - a good doublecheck.
Thanks once again -much appreciate it!

My favorite place to get airport weather data is to use Aviation Weather Center:

https://aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=CYZE&format=decoded&date=&hours=1

Using Windy.com you can get it to display pressure isobars. I've extended the isobars to show how to read them. It isn't 100% accurate but it gives you a rough idea. It is better to adjust your barometer when the isobar passes through you and through the airport you are calibrating with. It is also better to do it when the isobars are straight and when the weather is fair and pressure is on a day around 1013.25 hPa (29.92 inHg). But today right now seems like you should be about the same as CYZE. You can always fine tune on another day. Just do what you can and makes sense for today and you'll be very close.

Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
---
---

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 11:28:02 PM »

To have cities show pressure in Windy.com:
- Select More Layers from the top right menu. Do not use More Layers from the bottom menu which gives different options.
- Click the ON switch for Pressure to add to Quick Menu list, and also select Pressure after turning on Quick Menu. (selecting is what really does it...enabling Quick Menu just makes it an easier choice later as it pins it to the top menu visible choices)
- Then lastly select the Forecasted weather icon from the bottom menu (2nd icon from the left.)

* UPDATE * Complete tutorial on how to use Windy.com for isobars:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:17:47 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »

To have cities show pressure in Windy.com:

Thanks! The interface on my iPad is slightly different but I got is sorted out and working.

Offline DWIGHT123

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
I did mine through noaa.com in the REL settings? matched my local office to theirs?

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 08:13:18 AM »
First post!

Cant seem to find Galfert's post about the above. Could someone post a link.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »

Hmm..odd. I can see the whole thread.
Galferts response to my calibration question is here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36446.msg374113#msg374113

First post!

Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
---
---

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
Tele-Pole

Offline Platokidd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »

First post!

In your first post of this thread you posted "Galfert's posting about a new web based tool to help calibrate pressure prompted me to take a second look at my settings. A hat tip to galfert!

Thought this may have been another thread about website tool you made reference too.
And yes I can see this whole thread.
Ambient

ECOWITT
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
PWS at 2 locations.

Offline Platokidd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
I think platokidd is referring to one or both of these.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35272.0

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36250.0

Perfect! Trying to wrap my head around all of this Barometer calibration. Think I'm very close with my setting but would like to double check .
Ambient

ECOWITT
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
PWS at 2 locations.

Online gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 08:46:30 AM »
Sorry. I misunderstood. I  saw the discussion about offsets retrieval for someone who wanted to do a factory reset and would lose his offsets.

Based on Galfert's advice, I've thought of another method of calibrating the WS-2000 for barometric pressure:

Method C: (simplest - no separate offset calculation required)

Using the online calculator https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224579725 change the default sea level pressure of 1013.25 to the METAR sea level pressure of your local airport. As an example assume the METAR reading = 1020.3.

Enter in your altitude, say 192 meters into the calculator and click on the execute button.

You will get the result of 997.38. Round up to 997.4 and enter this number as the Absolute Pressure in the WS-2000 console. Enter 1020.3 as Relative Pressure on the WS-2000 console. You are done!
Fine tune as necessary.

As I also have had my brain fried figuring this out, this this is a quick and dirty method of getting the desired result.
Not sure if if I am reinventing the wheel but the above method is a bit shorter.
The offset is automatically calculated for you. Basically, for WS-2000 calibration purposes you enter any relative pressure as sea level pressure and the calculator figures out absolute pressure based on your specific altitude.

First post!

In your first post of this thread you posted "Galfert's posting about a new web based tool to help calibrate pressure prompted me to take a second look at my settings. A hat tip to galfert!

Thought this may have been another thread about website tool you made reference too.
And yes I can see this whole thread.
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
---
---

Offline Platokidd

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »
interesting..

This does change my off-set from yesterdays 0.89 to 0.95 today when converted back to inhg. Wouldn't I have to know the the altitude h of the airport compared to mine and use the difference of the two?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:21:39 PM by platokidd »
Ambient

ECOWITT
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
PWS at 2 locations.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »
gszlag,
Your method is valid but it doesn't work well for the WS-2000, because of how it treats these adjustments. I'll explain the pitfalls in this method and why in practice it doesn't work well and may get more aggravating:
  • You cannot go in and adjust Absolute and Relative at the same time. It is necessary with the WS-2000 to enter in only one at a time and then back out at least to the Calibration main screen...and then go back in and enter the other adjustment. This alternative method will have people trying to do both at the same time and they won't read the warning about not doing it in one step.
  • With this other method it is then required that Absolute get entered in first (opposite of my method where you enter Relative first as that is the offset). Because if you do it the other way around you will not understand why the numbers you had entered for Relative change on you as you adjust Absolute.
  • Then later when you need to do fine tuning you haven't learned a thing about how your console works and you'll be tempted to enter fine tune adjustments to Relative instead of doing them to the Absolute which you know will carry over and affect Relative by the same amount (because your elevation doesn't change so you never want to touch Relative offset ever again).

But your method does work once you understand how the console works and you take the steps to do them in the right order and then later you understand to only adjust Absolute for fine tune calibration of Relative.

I originally thought of this method but I wanted to educate people and help them understand how their Ambient stations work and how the three variables (Absolute, Relative, and Elevation) are all related. How with any two you can figure the other one out. I also wanted them to understand what actually is getting adjusted when they change either Absolute or Relative on their consoles. I think it is worth the effort of all the fried brains to reap the reward. To anyone that has followed my guide I'm sure that they have come out of the experience with a great feeling of accomplishment. My method is more in line for people coming from other brand stations. With other brand stations you enter in your elevation and then you adjust your pressure. With Ambient there is no direct way to enter in your elevation...till you understand that it is what you are doing when you enter in the Relative offset. Then after that elevation adjustment is made then you calibrate your pressure.

But hey good job in figuring out this method.  [tup] This means you learned all the parts and how it all works. Had someone shown you this method first you wouldn't know today what you know now, and you'd be cursing your station or dreading making fine tune adjustments. Now you can do fine tune adjustments and you know you won't mess anything up and it will be easy.

I don't know why Ambient did it this way. There are some things they could improve. They could call the Relative pressure the Relative Offset and actually show you this offset amount in the calibration screen just like you have other offsets for temperature that are + or - numbers ...rather than calling it just Relative and then showing you the resulting calculated final pressure. Or they could do even better ask you instead for your elevation and they then do the calculation and show you the final resulting pressure as other station brands do. And lastly they should have it so that you adjust something called Relative and it actually changes the final value and not an offset...so that you won't need to counter-intuitively need to adjust Absolute to affect change in Relative when fine tuning.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:07:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 12:56:05 PM »
interesting..

This does change my off-set from yesterdays 0.89 to 0.95 today when converted back to inhg. Wouldn't I have to know the the altitude h of the airport compared to mine and use the difference of the two?

No the airport elevation is of no relevance. I suggest sticking to my method. My method is just 2 steps.

• Figure out your pressure offset by using your elevation. This gets entered in as the difference your console shows between Absolute and Relative. You enter this in using the Relative settings on your console. You are changing Relative till your Absolute differs by this amount that represents your elevation. It doesn't matter what the final pressure numbers are at this moment, only how much they differ from each other matters for this step.
  • Find your airport METAR report and calibrate your station to match by adjusting Absolute up or down till your Relative matches the airport. Note: You do not enter in your airport's pressure exactly into Absolute settings....what you do is adjust Absolute till your Relative changes to match. Realizing that as you change your Absolute you are also at the same time affecting your Relative by the same amount.

* Then just remember in the future to not touch your Relative settings. To do fine tuning another day you just move Absolute up or down (because it changes Relative by the same amount).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:09:01 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Platokidd

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »
interesting..

No the airport elevation is of no relevance. I suggest sticking to my method. My method is just 2 steps.

Well I'm reworking all the number crunching again today.

Use only the relative first to adjust off-set, correct?
 Absolute is used to adjust the relative after the off-set is made.
Today if i did this right my new off-set is .937 inhg or 31.76 hpa.
Now does it matter during this process if I convert the hpa to inhg  before  inputting into the console?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:12:24 PM by platokidd »
Ambient

ECOWITT
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
PWS at 2 locations.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
interesting..

Yes, correct.

Yes, correct.

Now does it matter during this process if I convert the hpa to inhg for inputting into the console?
Yes it matters. It is more precise to stick to hPa with Ambient stations during calibration. Internally hPa is used and has more precision. After you are all calibrated then you can change units to show inHg if you prefer.

The technical reasons is because 0.1 hPa represents 0.003 inHg which you can't enter into the console because you are limited to +-0.01 inHg adjustments when dealing with inHg. So if you adjust by +-0.01 inHg on the console then that translates to +-0.3 hPa...which is less precise than being able to adjust by +-0.1 hPa. You don't want to limit yourself to adjusting only every 0.3 hPa (which is what happens when you use inHg) ...so instead you are able to add more precision by adjusting every +-0.1 hPa as it will change your pressure numbers by +-0.003 inHg which is a precision that you can't do directly to inHg as they only give you two decimal places with inHg. With hPa they give you 1 decimal place but it is more precise than the 2 decimal places of inHg. This doesn't mean that hPa is more accurate.....because had they given us 3 decimal places in inHg then that would be more precise than 1 decimal place of hPa.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:20:25 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Platokidd

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
interesting..

Yes, correct.

Yes, correct.

Now does it matter during this process if I convert the hpa to inhg for inputting into the console?
Yes it matters. It is more precise to stick to hPa with Ambient stations during calibration. Internally hPa is used. After you are all calibrated then you can change units to show inHg if you prefer.

Looks like I will get to do this task just one more time then #-o
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 03:45:09 PM by platokidd »
Ambient

ECOWITT
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
PWS at 2 locations.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Update to this thread.  Earlier in this thread I mentioned how a complete tutorial on how to use Windy.com to see isobars could be useful. I've gone ahead and created that tutorial in the following new thread.
Tele-Pole