Author Topic: WU rejecting most rapid fire packets  (Read 2150 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
WU rejecting most rapid fire packets
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »
As my Meteobridge users report problems in getting data to WU since about a week, I tested this a bit. What I see is that most of the http requests intended to upload data are simply rejected on WUs side. Neither "Success" nor an error occurs. My first idea was that Meteobridges might have a too sharp connection time out, but it turns out that they are not running into a timeout, but WU just cuts the connection without replying onything. Here and there some packets go through and we get a "Success" message in return and by that you see still data at WU. But rapid fire is completely broken.

Can anyone from WU please comment on this? Are you planing to bring rapid fire online again or are you stepping away from rapid fire?

IMHO rapid fire is one of the real good features from WU. When this is the next killed feature (after cam services have been cancelled) I have some doubt about the future of WU's station service at all.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline dwhitemv

• KORJUNCT3
    • My PWS on Weather Underground
Re: WU rejecting most rapid fire packets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »
It's not just rapid fire.  I thought it was RF at first and changed my upload interval to 5 minutes, and no change to the failures.

Its the same servers for both methods, so that doesn't surprise me.

I suspect they are still bunged up from the mass AWS reboot and/or the Spectre patch is causing major performance issues and WU doesn't have the money to spin up more server instances.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
I  received this from Davis Instruments this evening:

Thanks you for your email to Support. Customers with accounts who send data to Weather Underground Personal Weather Station (PWS) from your weatherlink.com account may notice data is missing or not being sent to Weather Underground in a timely fashion. WeatherLink Software users who have installed Weather Underground’s plugin are also affected. We’ve been in contact with technical staff at The Weather Channel, who operates Weather Underground, and they’ve informed us their RapidFire servers are experiencing a temporary performance problem that should be resolved in the next couple days. When services are available again, we’ll make an attempt to back-fill missing data, but some data points may be lost. Operations staff at Davis Instruments are doing everything possible to make sure the most complete set of data is sent to Weather Underground as soon as possible.

We’ve made available a status page operated by Pingdom, a third party external monitoring service, that measures availability for Weather Underground’s RapidFire service.

http://stats.pingdom.com/zw9vxjhrr9ze/1850219

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:01:26 AM »
Thanks, at least they are willing to make it fully operational again ;-)
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline MJM

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Is WU going to reinstate Rapid Fire display again?  I don't see a link to it on my WU PWS pages.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:21:06 PM by MJM »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »
Is WU going to reinstate Rapid Fire display again?  I don't see a link to it on my WU PWS pages.

RF works provided your software supports sending RF data.
Go to the station dashboard.   https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNEVALEN2

Beyond dashboard RF no longer appears to work on WU. 
Randy

Offline MJM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
There used to be a link on the PWS page that provided you this screen: [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
Look under My Weather stations under profile and then weather stickers. Most browsers now block however, but the code is there but no image.
Randy

Offline MJM

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
For some reason, I don't the the rapid fire in that area.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 10:44:16 PM »
I don't see it either because browser is blocking flash.
Randy

anything