Author Topic: Issues with LaCrosse and monitoring help please  (Read 6505 times)

Offline duglartis

Issues with LaCrosse and monitoring help please
« on: October 14, 2007, 04:01:40 AM »
Hello
hoping someone can help me have a ws2305 and having some issues getting the computer to find the weather station I have loaded up WUHU in place of Heavy Weather i have managed to get it running a couple of times however when i shut down computer and restart i end up getting the following error message in the WUHU log any help would be grately appreciated  thanks
Sun Oct 14 17:35:55 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
Sun Oct 14 17:35:55 2007 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
Sun Oct 14 17:36:03 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:36:16 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:36:29 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:36:42 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:36:55 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:08 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:21 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:21 2007 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:31 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:31 2007 > Port COM4 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:39 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:37:52 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:38:04 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:38:17 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:38:30 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:38:43 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:38:56 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
Sun Oct 14 17:38:56 2007 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
Sun Oct 14 17:39:06 2007 > Attempting to re-open port COM4.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Issues with LaCrosse and monitoring help please
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:19:55 AM »

Com4 is a USB to serial adapter?

Look under the control panel/system/hardware/device manager to see if it is funcitoning normally under Windows.

There are only a few USB serial adapters that work well. Ones based on the PL-2303 Chipset seem to work best (IOGear, Sakar International).

What brand of adapter is it?

Offline duglartis

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »
hi there
thanks for the response unfortunately my partner through the packaging out so i only know it is a usb 3902B68 model RS232 120k bit rate the other issue i face is the computer has no serial port seems strange it will work sometimes though
i have found a computer with a serial port and tried it on there and got the same error message before as on the usb cord i am starting to wonder if i have a faulty console? is this possible
any help aprreciated
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:38:19 AM by duglartis »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:02:27 AM »

You could definitely have a bad console.

Did the other computer have a real built-in serial port or was it also a USB to serial adapter?

Many laptops and serial to usb adapters use + / - 5vdc rather than + / - 12vdc on the serial lines. That may cause a problem.

Where did you buy it?

Offline duglartis

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
yes the other computer had a built in serial port
bought the usb adapter from an electrical supply shop
the other error log that is showing up regular on the WUHU log is
"an error occured reading the storm alert from the console"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:39:11 AM by duglartis »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:12 AM »
The storm alert is the first item that is read.

The communication is failing.

You might check that the modular on the console is making a good connection. Some have reported a poor connection there causing issues.

Other than that, you might have a bad console.

They do get zapped by nearby lightning. That happened to me, the console worked but the RS-232 interface to the PC was fried.

Offline duglartis

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:09:15 AM »
hi there
thanks for the info
the connection is good as the console and station is new and this is the first time we have used it so i am guessing i got a dud
is there a way of getting the data out of wuhu that has been recorded so far?
as i would like to keep this info in a spread sheet
thanks for your help

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:37 AM »

If you replace the console, you can leave the software in place, the history file will remain intact. You would not need to re-install the software later. The history files can be viewed/edit using the La Crosse Heavyweather Pro software.

Offline duglartis

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 03:58:53 AM »
thanks will contact supplier to send a replacement console thanks for your help
 :grin:

Offline N9IVQ

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 01:50:35 AM »
Problem also occures with Com port 1, non-usb. I have the same problem with as WS2308. Had it running through a USB serial for a while with no problems. Then started having the problem described. Moved it to a regualr on-board com-port. Same problem just does not happen as often. I think it is a timing issue between the software and hardware the  rather then a hardware issue alone. I do not have the problem when using the Heavy Weather software, only WUHU. However, i do not think it is strickly an WUHU problem either. As i said, it appears to be a timming issue between hardware and software.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »
Problem also occures with Com port 1, non-usb. I have the same problem with as WS2308. Had it running through a USB serial for a while with no problems. Then started having the problem described. Moved it to a regualr on-board com-port. Same problem just does not happen as often. I think it is a timing issue between the software and hardware the  rather then a hardware issue alone. I do not have the problem when using the Heavy Weather software, only WUHU. However, i do not think it is strickly an WUHU problem either. As i said, it appears to be a timming issue between hardware and software.

Heavyweather never reports an error, it simply grays out the data on screen.

Did you set the console clock to match the PC clock? If you do not, you will get errors from 12am to 7am (PC clock time).