Author Topic: moving up from acurite  (Read 2546 times)

Offline VE7FQN

moving up from acurite
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »
I am bit unhappy with acurite killing intenet bridge and forcing move to the new access. I see others having connectivity issues with access. Rather than continue with acurite I am looking at another system to fit my budget. I am looking at ambient weather 1101. I see WeatherFlow is coming out with a smart weather station (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations/#/). Just looking for thoughts and comments.

Doug

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: moving up from acurite
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
1101? Are you referring to the Ambient 1002 which replaced the 1001?
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline VE7FQN

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
Oops! Missed the 2. Ambient Weather WS-1201-IP

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
WeatherFlow (WF) is promising to start shipping production wind/rain/solar sensors to all of their early backers in April, per their latest campaign update.  My temp/humidity/barometer/lightning sensor from them has been working reliably.  I have it mounted to the north wall of my detached/unheated garage, and even without a radiation shield it is tracking nicely against my Acu-Rite 5-in-1 (when the Acu-Rite feels like working).  The included WF hub is reliable, and their making of your data available through several simple documented API's (including simple local network UDP broadcasts) is refreshing in today's consumer-class weather stations that are locked in to the seller's cloud site.  As an example, I developed a complete weewx station driver that grabs the UDP broadcasts from my home network and imports them into weewx...no DNS spoofing, no man-in-the-middle box with two ethernet ports, not even a USB cable!  My code is available on GitHub if anyone wants to use it.

With that said, I'm going to coin a new axiom based on a saying from my racing days.  You're not a real car guy until you've owned an Alfa Romeo.  My new saying is that you're not a real weather geek until you've owned a Davis station.  With all of the money and frustration that I have invested in Acu-Rite equipment over the last 8 years, I should have become a real weather geek sooner than today.

As a footnote, you can take a $20 USB SDR dongle with a Raspberry Pi and make a weewx Acu-Rite bridge of your own, keeping your 5-in-1 and throwing away their Bridge/smartHUB/Access junk.  When it works, my 5-in-1 is a surprisingly accurate station for the price.  There's a complete Acu-Rite sub-forum at this site to see what others are doing.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:00:09 AM »
OT:  I had an Alfa GTV.  70's vintage. Man, when it ran...  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline VE7FQN

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:19:22 AM »
For now where would I find plans or instruction and list of materials to build a bridge for the 5-n-1? I remember seeing some where a person was offering pre-tested sd cards. I still need to save up some money for a better station.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline VE7FQN

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »
I have been looking at the vantage vue. Appears ambient weather stations are hit n miss in reliability. Really sucks to have the loonie currency. What all would I need  to be able to upload data? Is there a better interface alternative with a better price point?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
you will need a data logger with the vue
there are 3rd party ones available (i.e cheaper)

Offline VE7FQN

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »
well I broke down and ordered a vantage vue. Should arrive after easter. After comparing specs and searching vendors for good price I bit the bullet and ordered from binnacles. Now I need to find an ip interface. Thank you for all the great comments.

anything