Author Topic: VirtualVP - Sending LOOP nn of 150???  (Read 4608 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
VirtualVP - Sending LOOP nn of 150???
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »
Have just installed VirtualVP (trial version) and I notice that VCOM17 is constantly indicating a "Sending LOOP nn of 150". I also see the same thing in Fig 5 of the VirtualVP USer Guide. Can someone explain to me what is going on?

NOTE: I have assigned WeatherLink to this comm port but am not currently running it.

My port assignments are as follows:

VCOM16 - VWS
VCOM17 - WeatherLink
VCOM18 - Not assigned
VCOM19 - Not assigned

Should I disable the last two if I am not using them?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
Here's what mine looks like with VWS, VPLive, and WeatherLink running.  Once you start WeatherLink the Loop numbers will start to count up.  VWS operates differently than WeatherLink or VP Live.  VWS only runs one or two loops before a "get time".  Steve posted a little about the difference in operation on the old forum and can better explain what's going on.  He's having some ISP problems and will be back on the forums more when he gets that resolved. I disabled my unused port.  I think it saves a few CPU cycles.

I have the following configuration
VP1=VWS
VP2=WeatherLink
VP3=VPLive
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:46:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I realized I had my port assignment listing incorrect. It should have been as follows:

VCOM16 - VWS
VCOM17 - VPLive
VCOM18 - Not assigned
VCOM19 - Not assigned

This explains why I am seeing the loop count on VCOM17 - DUH!!!
I just got confused (it happens often too  :lol:) with the new software and its setup.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 11:42:10 PM »
Hopefully my internet connection will be up long enough to actually post this (very frustrating...can't wait for the new ISP to get set up).

Weather programs get live sensor data in packets from the VP console called "LOOP" packets ("LOOP" is the actual command that gets sent to the console). You request some number of loop packets, and then the console just spits them out about every 2.5 seconds. It allows the console more time to process sensor data if it doesn't have to process incoming commands frequently from the weather programs. Seeing the loop data ticking off means things are working.

In the next version of VirtualVP, the main "activity" screen will be relegated to secondary significance since it's more detail than most need to see. The main screen will display more meaningful and summarized info about the health of connections, etc.

Steve

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 11:52:52 PM »
Thanks Steve! I wasn't really worried about what I was seeing, I just didn't understand what it was telling me. Guess I am a bit too anal about some things... :)

anything