Author Topic: Display problems with close storms  (Read 1675 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Display problems with close storms
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »
I have a PCI Boltek and both the popular software packages for display.

All worked well for many years, although close storms did always seem to be ranged a bit weird.

In the last two years I have noticed that when a storm gets within 50 miles or so, I get a very large amount of ghosts 180 degrees from the storm, even with the software enabled to try to supress such echos.  The result is that a ring of hits seems to engulf my station on the map, giving sort of an ring of hits looking like geostationary satellites in orbit.  As the storm passes this seems to persist for awhile.  If another cell is out there, it is displayed poorly.

I have the antenna in a 10' piece of plastic 2x2" rain downspout and that hasn't changed.

If the antenna were bad, I would think I wouldn't get anything at all.

There is no metal within 10' of the antenna that I can find except the nails in a roof laterally some distance away.

I do have oak trees growing up higher each year.  Are trees a confusing factor for antenna placement?

Of course right now in Wisconsin there are no storms, but mid-March is sometimes the first I can start to play with the system.

I'm going to remount the antenna in one of the nifty looking pods that others have shown in their setups and maybe a change in position will be all it takes.

Has anyone else had this halo effect occur when storms get close (which seems worse with the new and improved software packages), and if so, do you remember what might have been a cause that I can fiddle with?  It has become so much of a problem that I've not posted images the last two years just because they are so off from what they used to be and should be and differ so much from what others show on their sites.

Thanks for any thoughts.  I'd be happy to try to clarify if my descriptions were hard to follow.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything