Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139280 times)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »
I can see why they would do it that way, to make sure what is displayed on the console is the same as displayed from their "cloud". However, seems very inefficient and results in spectrum pollution from duplicate rf transmissions of the same data.

Not really. I am pretty sure they use poor-mans time domain multiplexing:  Only one unit gets to transmit at a time, and at miliwatt  power levels to conserve battery life.  I'd be surprised if the signal got out of my back yard strong enough to detect with another weather station.

I believe the LaCrosse design goal was to have an outside unit located close to the house (outside temp/humidity) to act as the hub, with sensors most likely in inaccessible/distant places (anemometer and rain gauge) as the spokes. 

The hub has C-Cell batteries for long life, since it probably has to marshal the other external sensors and chat with the LCD display located in the house.  The Gateway is typically located near your Internet connection which may be too far from the sensors (shielded by roof and walls), but relatively close to the LCD.

I think it is a good design compromise - but don't get me started on parts quality.  My rain gauge died :-(

Offline Mitch W4OA

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »

OK, I'm signed up, I just pulled the trigger on a C84612 weather station.

Mitch

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
I got the Service version of SkySpy Server mostly working tonight!

It is busily receiving GW packets, updating Weather Underground and serving up the "mini web site" when requested.

I also made progress on the "embedded MySQL" database.  What that means is you can simply run the SkySpy service on your PC and it will create a tiny database server to store your readings.  You do not need to install the whole MySQL database server...  But you can't use the tiny server for anything else but the SkySpy service.  In a future release, I will add some dump commands that you can send to the service to create CSV files of your data.

Next I need to get the Service to chat with SkySpy Monitor - but that is for tomorrow night :-)

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
I got the Service version of SkySpy Server mostly working tonight!

It is busily receiving GW packets, updating Weather Underground and serving up the "mini web site" when requested.

I just want to say that my hat is off to you. What you are doing is greatly appreciated.  =D>
I wish I could be more help to you!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
I got SkySpy ssServer chatting with ssMonitor tonight, plus I cleaned up a few bugs.  You can check progress on my Mantis bug/feature request server - there is a link earlier in this thread.

ssMonitor is about 75% done for the next milestone;  ssServer is at about 57%.  The numbers may change if there are any added bugs that pop up.  Development should pick up speed a bit, now that I have all the infrastructure designed.

Thanks to the folks that are submitting bug reports on Mantis and weather data to my database!

I hope to have a new release out sometime in the next week or so.  Stay tuned!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
I made a lot of progress on SkySpy today.  I have the new ssServer nicely integrated with ssMonitor.  I have updated both ssServer and ssMonitor to work in both full-blown MySQL database mode as well as "embedded" mode that does not require installation of the MySQL database server.  There are some minor bugs that need fixing, but I am on target for a major release sometime in the next few days.

Added, but not finished is an alert system that compares sensor readings with user-settable min/max/range values.  If a sensor reading is outside the range, then ssServer will send you an email.  I have the min/max/range setting code done in ssMonitor and will implement the messaging system in a later release.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqj0w58rshou6y3/alerts.jpg

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
I made a lot of progress on SkySpy today.  I have the new ssServer nicely integrated with ssMonitor.  I have updated both ssServer and ssMonitor to work in both full-blown MySQL database mode as well as "embedded" mode that does not require installation of the MySQL database server.  There are some minor bugs that need fixing, but I am on target for a major release sometime in the next few days.

Added, but not finished is an alert system that compares sensor readings with user-settable min/max/range values.  If a sensor reading is outside the range, then ssServer will send you an email.  I have the min/max/range setting code done in ssMonitor and will implement the messaging system in a later release.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqj0w58rshou6y3/alerts.jpg

You are REALLY going to put those moron software developers from Lacrosse to shame.  I can't wait to try it out.   Thanks Skydvrz!
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
You are REALLY going to put those moron software developers from Lacrosse to shame.  I can't wait to try it out.   Thanks Skydvrz!

Yeah, that web site of theirs is a train wreck.  Be glad, because it was an inspiration for SkySpy  :grin:

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »

Yeah, that web site of theirs is a train wreck.  Be glad, because it was an inspiration for SkySpy  :grin:

We all are Very Glad your work is greatly appreciated  :grin:

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »
Ok,

I have been locked in mortal combat with the $%&*# installer, trying to get it to do a nice smooth installation of SkySpy on a variety of Windows versions.  I am not having much luck.   ](*,)

If you are technically savvy and a brave soul, then you can do a manual install.  It is tricky, since the new ssServer is now a Windows service.  Services do not install like normal applications.

So, would you rather wait until I figure out how to use this install builder and make a nice neat, professional looking install/deinstall, or would you prefer immediate gratification, a somewhat difficult install, and a really difficult de-install should you decide to back out of it?

I would like to get some beta testers up and running with the new version, but with the above caveats.

Let me know your thoughts...

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
Ok,

I have been locked in mortal combat with the $%&*# installer, trying to get it to do a nice smooth installation of SkySpy on a variety of Windows versions.  I am not having much luck.   ](*,)

If you are technically savvy and a brave soul, then you can do a manual install.  It is tricky, since the new ssServer is now a Windows service.  Services do not install like normal applications.

So, would you rather wait until I figure out how to use this install builder and make a nice neat, professional looking install/deinstall, or would you prefer immediate gratification, a somewhat difficult install, and a really difficult de-install should you decide to back out of it?

I would like to get some beta testers up and running with the new version, but with the above caveats.

Let me know your thoughts...

I'm in!!!!!!!! =D>    8-)

I have both Win 7 & 8.1 to try it on if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:35:16 PM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2014, 12:05:01 AM »
I'm willing to give it a try I would be installing on XP Home & XP Pro 

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
I'm willing to give it a try I would be installing on XP Home & XP Pro

Some of the installer issues I am struggling with are specifically related to XP, so I am not sure I can support that platform.  SkySpy will work OK on XP, but the old installer software I am using is pretty clunky and balks at the differences between XP and Win7. 

I did make a little headway last night with the installer and mods to SkySpy to help it straddle Windows versions, so stay tuned.

I recommend you upgrade ASAP to Win7 for lots of reasons.  Win8 would not be my first choice in upgrades though - no Mr Gates, I don't want my desktop to look like my cell phone.  #-o

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »

Some of the installer issues I am struggling with are specifically related to XP, so I am not sure I can support that platform.  SkySpy will work OK on XP, but the old installer software I am using is pretty clunky and balks at the differences between XP and Win7. 

I did make a little headway last night with the installer and mods to SkySpy to help it straddle Windows versions, so stay tuned.

I recommend you upgrade ASAP to Win7 for lots of reasons.  Win8 would not be my first choice in upgrades though - no Mr Gates, I don't want my desktop to look like my cell phone.  #-o

XP's life is about to come to an end in about a month.  That will leave your system open to any vulnerabilities.  As long as there are bad guys out there with computer skills, popular operating systems are open to new attacks.  Win 8 is great if you are using it on a touch tablet, but sucks on a normal computer.  Win 7 IS the way to go.  :-)   Problem is that if you've had your systems for several years, then the old hardware may not support the new software and it's additional bloat.   :sad:

//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
XP's life is about to come to an end in about a month.  That will leave your system open to any vulnerabilities. 

Actually XP's end of life is today:shock:

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

You're correct XP support is no more.  Well they did support it for almost 14 years.  I don't know why there are so many people complaining about support going away.  Shame on all the companies that have not prepared for this.  If XP were an automobile, OEM support would have been done away with years ago.
//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »

A note to the lurkers that are still running XP:

If you absolutely must continue using XP, then immediately stop using the Internet Explorer (IE) web browser that comes with XP. Install either the Firefox or Chrome web browser and start using one of those instead.  Both Firefox and Chrome are free for the downloading.

Internet Explorer will no longer get malware prevention patches, so you are really hanging your you-know-what in the wind using it.  Not only that, but using IE identifies you as an XP user to every web site (good or bad) that you visit, effectively painting a big red target on your back as you surf the 'net. 

Alternate browsers will continue getting patched as new malware threats arise.

Next, make sure you have a good anti-virus program installed - every bad guy on the planet is going to be gunning for you and your XP box.  That said, even an anti-virus program will not protect you like a fully-supported operating system would.

BTW, most of the free anti-virus programs are not very good - you get what you pay for.

Now it is time for this physician "to go heal himself".  My wife is still running XP, so it is time for a new motherboard and Win7-Pro64 for her.  :lol:

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
XP's life is about to come to an end in about a month.  That will leave your system open to any vulnerabilities. 

Actually, my computer did an update last night.  Probably the last one.  I'm surprised MS didn't put a kill program in the update.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »

BTW, most of the free anti-virus programs are not very good - you get what you pay for.

What Security suite are you using.  I've been using Both Norton 360 and Norton Security Suite, both seem to be doing their job.

//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »
I use Norton 360 at home and Symantec Endpoint Protection ($$$!) at work.  My wife uses the Norton 360 Backup, saving her files to our NAS.  It seems to work pretty well.

Both are pretty decent at detection and not whining about false-positive detections.

The hallmark of a bad AV is constant whining about viruses that don't exist.  They do it to make their competition look weak:  Oh look!  I just found 96 virus programs on your PC that  Norton missed!  Baaad Norton!  Then it proceeds to delete a bunch of non-virus, trivial files... or worse yet, half of your legitimate utility apps.

:grin:

I do use a freebie AV program that came with my NAS. I don't execute any programs there and everything passes through my desktop AV, so it is relatively safe.

Offline keckec

« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
<shameless_plug>
I've been using Linux at home and work almost exclusively for years. I only run Windows (XP in a virtual machine under Linux) to run Labview (work) and watch Netflix streaming (home).

Here's a bit on Linux alternatives to Windows:
http://www.category5.tv/episodes/342.php/6:45

Karl
</shameless_plug>

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
I ran OS/2 for quite a while and really liked it.  I developed a bunch of shareware and commercial products for it over the years.  Sad to see it go, as I really liked the object-desktop approach.

I used UNIX on Sun and Apollo back in the day and did a lot of microwave circuitry design/simulation software development on that, but never got into Linux.

I have done extensive programming on LabWindows, mostly writing automated test software for the microwave and RF manufacturing industry and some laser precision-measurement systems.  One of my specialties is machine control using GPIB/IEEE-488.  LabWindows is a distant cousin to LabView. 

These days I program in Delphi on Wintel, but also program in PHP when doing web development.

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2014, 05:33:12 PM »
I purchased my La Crosse PWS C84612 last winter and finally with the snow gone and weather warming up I was able to get it installed yesterday!  I configured the gateway and got the online stuff working (lacrossealerts.com).  I also setup a wunderground acct to upload my data until I realized that I couldn't by default!  After a google search lead me hear and reading through this post I think I found exactly what I was looking for!  Amazing work SkyDvrz!  I see a lot of progress have been made from post 1 until today.  So if I want to start tinkering around should I just wait until your latest beta (from which it appears is almost ready) be released or proceed with downloading your server app from post #76 (page4)?   Thanks!  Can't Wait! :lol:

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
So if I want to start tinkering around should I just wait until your latest beta (from which it appears is almost ready) be released or proceed with downloading your server app from post #76 (page4)?   Thanks!  Can't Wait! :lol:

That is up to you - I am working on the next release almost every night, but I am not sure how long it will take.  The old version that is still available for download works fine, but it won't restart after a computer shutdown or power failure.  The new version will restart as soon as the computer reboots.

Contact me via private mail and I will set up a database account login for you.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »

anything