Author Topic: Vibration and the Vantage Vue  (Read 1791 times)

Offline WBDubya

Vibration and the Vantage Vue
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »
I recently increased the mounting height of my Vantage Vue due to the anemometer getting partally blocked from a nearby tree. My house is on 1/10th of an acre which limits my placement options. The height of the galvanized pole (anchored by concrete) is now 14 feet AGL. I’m noticing some vibration from the wind and wonder if the tipping bucket will over report rainfall amounts. I found some older threads from 2015 in the forum which is raising the concern. Any ideas?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Vibration and the Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
I recently increased the mounting height of my Vantage Vue due to the anemometer getting partally blocked from a nearby tree. My house is on 1/10th of an acre which limits my placement options. The height of the galvanized pole (anchored by concrete) is now 14 feet AGL. I’m noticing some vibration from the wind and wonder if the tipping bucket will over report rainfall amounts. I found some older threads from 2015 in the forum which is raising the concern. Any ideas?

Are you actually getting false rain counts, or is this just a "worry bead"? Is it a vibration, or more of a "sway"?
If you are getting false counts, you could add guy lines.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:21 AM »

It's more pole sway that I'm dealing with when the winds get above 15 mph.  It hasn't rained since I raised the height of the pole so I'm not sure if false counts are going to be a problem or not. I may drill through the pipe in two or three spots where the two poles meet and install bolts and nuts to secure the sections together to see if that makes a difference. I have limited space so I'd rather not use guy wire (see attached picture), attaching to the utility pole that's leaning is not an option.

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »
Here's a picture of the area before I raised the station.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:20:53 AM »
so I'm not sure if false counts are going to be a problem or not.

Actually, if it is not raining and you are getting "rain" indication, that is the best indication of getting false counts. When it is actually raining, it is difficult to determine if some counts are in error. So you just need a windy day without rain.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 08:27:00 AM »
Thanks Greg!  It's been windy with no rain and I have not been getting any "rain counts" so maybe I'm good to go.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 03:14:17 PM »
Thanks Greg!  It's been windy with no rain and I have not been getting any "rain counts" so maybe I'm good to go.
Not to "rain on your parade", but you'd really need some strong, gusty winds to cause an empty spoon to tip. The problem is when water starts to fill the spoon and then wind will cause it to tip prematurely causing false high readings. Only way you'll really know is to have a manual gauge to compare with, or at least a tipper that is secure.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »
Is that is a contiguous 14-foot pole or did you "connect" two poles (original & new) together?

If it's two poles, you might consider attaching guy-wires to the point where the two poles are connected together...that way you don't have to go all the way to the top to connect your guy-wires.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
I inserted a 10’ 1-1/2” pole inside a 1-3/4”. I have considered drilling holes and using bolts with lockwashers and nuts to secure together.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »
I inserted a 10’ 1-1/2” pole inside a 1-3/4”. I have considered drilling holes and using bolts with lockwashers and nuts to secure together.
Drill a third hole and attach two guy-wire washer-loops under head and nut sides and under head or nut for third guy-wire washer-loop, or maybe use something like this:

How "tight" is their fit now without being bolted together?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:07:03 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
That’s an intersting contraption! Where in the world would one find something like that?  The top pole twists easily inside the main, it’s not a tight fit.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 08:28:15 PM »
That’s an intersting contraption! Where in the world would one find something like that?  The top pole twists easily inside the main, it’s not a tight fit.

Found here:  https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ez-43-a

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
Thanks for posting the link. In your opinion do you think two of these clamps and a 1" pole would work better?  I prefer to not have guy wires since I'm extremely limited on space.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
Thanks for posting the link. In your opinion do you think two of these clamps and a 1" pole would work better?  I prefer to not have guy wires since I'm extremely limited on space.

1" poles tend to be too flimsy. Recommend 1.25" (32mm) as a minimum and the heavier the gauge the better.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »

1" poles tend to be too flimsy. Recommend 1.25" (32mm) as a minimum and the heavier the gauge the better.
Which is why I used thicker-walled galvanized water pipe instead of thinner gauged electrical conduit tubing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:42:06 AM by Old Tele man »

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
The Vue ISS is in no way accurate if there is wind during a rainstorm even if you have slight vibrations/sway . Depending on the wind speed, I may only record 50% of the actual rainfall.

anything