Author Topic: The Reliability of the SHT-31 Humidity Sensor & What Psychrometer Should I Buy?  (Read 113671 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Did a chest freezer test on sht31 vs 75 this morning for anyone considering change over living in colder climate. Results unscientific with sensors tied together. Let freezer go through 3 cooling cycles so took over an hour. Temperature difference was either .5 or .6 with the SHT75 reading warmer.
As freezer warmed up the 75 would really leave the 31 behind  (+3)  before compressor started again. Then on cool down it rapidly made the 3 degree difference up catching the 31 within couple minutes of compressor kicking on.  The 75 does adjust rapidly to temperature change.
  Below zero
SHT75 -8.2  SHT31 -8.7
SHT75 -8.1  SHT31 -8.6
SHT75 -7.9  SHT31 -8.4
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
Did a chest freezer test on sht31 vs 75 this morning for anyone considering change over living in colder climate. Results unscientific with sensors tied together. Let freezer go through 3 cooling cycles so took over an hour. Temperature difference was either .5 or .6 with the SHT75 reading warmer.
As freezer warmed up the 75 would really leave the 31 behind  (+3)  before compressor started again. Then on cool down it rapidly made the 3 degree difference up catching the 31 within couple minutes of compressor kicking on.  The 75 does adjust rapidly to temperature change.
  Below zero
SHT75 -8.2  SHT31 -8.7
SHT75 -8.1  SHT31 -8.6
SHT75 -7.9  SHT31 -8.4

That’s not bad at all. Rarely if Alabama gets below zero but looks like the 75 isn’t a bad performer in that range. Wonder what your calibrated thermometer would’ve read?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
  Below zero
SHT75 -8.2  SHT31 -8.7
SHT75 -8.1  SHT31 -8.6
SHT75 -7.9  SHT31 -8.4

That’s not bad at all. Rarely if Alabama gets below zero but looks like the 75 isn’t a bad performer in that range. Wonder what your calibrated thermometer would’ve read?
The specs in that range are around +/- 1.2C for the 75 and +/- 0.25 for the 31. So yeah, only a consistent 0.5F difference isn't too bad. Heck, maybe the 31 is -0.2C and the 75 is +0.3C.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
I'll know more this winter with 31 as temperature backup. The freezer may not be that reliable but sure looked decent after 3 cycles. The 75's for sure are within specs both humidity and temperature unlike the 31's.

Update: I don't have a certified in that range or surely would of used it. I tested the certified not this range it read -9.7 so about 1° lower than the 31.. Guess its possible the SHT31 is reading on high side and why not that big a difference between the 75...If anyone has a certified below zero I would like to see results.   
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
I went back and looked at the certified and it was only -9.7. Response time was so fast I thought it was more. 

Very possible if the certified at 0c is more accurate than the 31 means the 31's aren't even accurate on the low end. It is little odd the 75 was within .5F.

Here are specs on certified:±0.05°C  within –2.00 to 2.00°C (28.4° to 35.6°F),
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:14:37 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
I may have to run that test, my calibrated meter has a calibration point of -10 degrees and is right on calibration wise. I will have to try it when i get the new sensor out of the standard shield.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
I may have to run that test, my calibrated meter has a calibration point of -10 degrees and is right on calibration wise. I will have to try it when i get the new sensor out of the standard shield.

Good deal Jerry.
I'm wondering about the 31 accuracy down low now.
Added the specs to certified thermometer I used above post. 
Randy

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster

Good deal Jerry.
How well do they all match up at a warmer temp in the fridge?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

Good deal Jerry.
How well do they all match up at a warmer temp in the fridge?

Not sure they match well in meteo shield, within a tenth in 50's.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
Interesting results, calibrated meter accuracy +/- .3F   meter -3.4  31-3.7 75-2.4 15-1.4 so figuring the meter between -3.1 to -3.7 it looks like the 31 is the winner which i would have expected based on specs. the 75 is pretty close to specs for it, not good on low end. The 15 is much better in the south than the north lol.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
Interesting results, calibrated meter accuracy +/- .3F   meter -3.4  31-3.7 75-2.4 15-1.4 so figuring the meter between -3.1 to -3.7 it looks like the 31 is the winner which i would have expected based on specs. the 75 is pretty close to specs for it, not good on low end. The 15 is much better in the south than the north lol.
Nice work from you two guys. Now I anxiously await the pin 35 and an easy way to implement it with a VP2.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:49:28 PM by dendrite »

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
Put another 75 in the freezer and first check was meter -2.4 and 75 -2.1 will let them cool a while longer but looks like reference temp is important on the 75 at low temps. If 31 sensors are basically close then comparing to 31 should work out. I will check other 31 later to see if it is close like the first one.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

I was letting them cycle all the way to bottom and record where they turn.  Can't trust between because some sensors drop faster then others.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
I was letting them cycle all the way to bottom and record where they turn.  Can't trust between because some sensors drop faster then others.
Yes. Even monitoring just one sensor I always wait for it to reverse course and go from there, then you're sure.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
I'm data logging both the 75 and 31 so there is no question.  8-) The certified will just record lowest temperature.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
Well the meter has been at -3.7 for a while and the 75 is at -2.9 still looking like the 75 is short on temp. But the specs at this temp tells it like it is.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
It's all being data logged but here is a look at zero on the SHT31 the 75 was + (.5). I cranked freezer to colder setting so test still going. I'll let it cycle a few times to make sure it repeats.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
At -4 we are at (+1) on 75.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
8 below
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
9 below
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
10 below. No way I can use the 75 in winter.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
11 below Certified is running with the SHT31 also.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
-12.1  below and it's going to turn the certified recorded -12.29, Sht 31 -12.1, SHT75 -10.0 F
I've seen enough. ending my test. Once it got to -2 degrees difference seemed to stay. Not sure what it would do even colder but I can't use in winter when its been -39F here.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
11 below Certified is running with the SHT31 also.

That’s a bummer but then again, the spec sheet did say that it should start drifting below 0°F
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
Nice obs Randy. I'll probably get a new 31 and swap it out from the 75 before we start getting well below freezing. I still like the idea of the low thermal mass pin model, but I'll have to wait for the 35. rdsman is doing good work over in that other thread with reading the data from the 35.