Author Topic: **Acurite Atlas 7/8 with FARS + Many Add-Ons Now Available** -Elite Soon?  (Read 49660 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Re: New Acurite Atlas Elitist Wx station
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
Yea just saw! Thx .. This look awesome but as others have stated it could be expensive. Certainly looks great. Hmm makes my current 5-1 look  :sad:

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
Nice, I would also be interested in how this will be able to communicate "with the outside world".

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
Yea just saw! Thx .. This look awesome but as others have stated it could be expensive. Certainly looks great. Hmm makes my current 5-1 look  :(
My 5 - 1 reads too warm in the sun, so it doesn't do me much good. They needed to come out with something accurate. I think many will flock to this if it is within 1 degree like specs say. My Oregon reads 49, along with my acurite tower while my all in one reads 53.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
You folks wishing something for nothing have correctly titled the subject to this thread!

Haha! I didn't even realize I had titled it that way. :D They do have 3 tiers to choose from if the Elite is too expensive. I want to try for the elite though.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
Yea just saw! Thx .. This look awesome but as others have stated it could be expensive. Certainly looks great. Hmm makes my current 5-1 look  :(
My 5 - 1 reads too warm in the sun, so it doesn't do me much good. They needed to come out with something accurate. I think many will flock to this if it is within 1 degree like specs say. My Oregon reads 49, along with my acurite tower while my all in one reads 53.

I can live with 2-3 degrees off no big deal. 5-1 location location I've actually relocated my current 5-1 away from roof and it's doing rather good only off 1-2 degrees. Frankly I think I'll be ok for now this new atlas more then likely will cost big bucks and I promised wifey no more spending for now on wx stations. Does your 5-1 have double solars? Mine does

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
They needed to come out with something accurate. I think many will flock to this if it is within 1 degree like specs say.
Just to be aware, this is assuredly the sensor spec alone, not taking into account the radiation-induced temp error of the shield itself, but it is an improvement.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
The critical factor here will be cost.  I'd say it will have to be 60% of a Davis to be successful.

Other than covering the development costs, I'm guessing that these new units should only cost 10% to 20% more to manufacture compared with the existing 5-in-1.  I personally find it odd that they appear to have use different molds and designs for the wind cups/vane between the Atlas and Elite models, since using one standard/shared part between the two units should result in significant price/warehouse savings.

Their announcement contained plenty of vaporware when discussing the consoles and Internet connectivity, so it is difficult to put a price on the packages until we know.  Hopefully, they are shooting for $149 for the Atlas, and $199 for the Elite model.  The current
PWS/ProSumer market will probably bear $249 maximum for the Elite.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
Just checking in. It won't be vaporware.  They've been working on them with some customers for a while now.

I'm in the hospital following emergency spinal surgery, so you might not be hearing from me much until I'm back on my feet.

Offline joe4702

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 11:50:27 PM »
Just checking in. It won't be vaporware.  They've been working on them with some customers for a while now.

I'm in the hospital following emergency spinal surgery, so you might not be hearing from me much until I'm back on my feet.

Oh my. Get well soon.
Your knowledgeable and informative posts have been most helpful.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 12:07:47 AM »
Wow. Forget us, just get well. :!:

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »
Get welll, George!

Offline NachoQTPie

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
Ugh, of course my new 5in1 system arrives today. Son of a diddly.

I was just thinking the same thing... "Man.... I just bought one! Now I want a new one!"  :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »

Thanks for checking in. Hurry up and get well.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
Sorry to hear Get well soon George!!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 11:08:29 PM »
Take care George!
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline DGwx412

• 'Tis Himself
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
This is really fascinating news from AcuRite.  I was just about to spend some $$$ on a new 5n1 since I haven't been comfortable spending $800 on the Davis that I really want (and am still saving for honestly)...but with this news I think I can hold off for a few more months to see what price point these new models come out at.  I am very interested in the features especially the Wi-Fi and lightning detection (which has its own history of accuracy issues with the various consumer level sensors I have been researching).  I also like the design look.
"Alright this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So word of advice: if you meet yourself on the testing track don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time - entirely. Forward and backward. So do both of yourselves a favor and let that handsome devil go about his business."
- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
I e-mailed AcuRite several days ago, asking for info about availability and price for the Elite but have heard nothing back.  Does anyone have a clue as to when we can actually buy one?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
late spring is the current info

Offline SufferinSuccotash

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sylvester

Offline DGwx412

• 'Tis Himself
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »

Yeah, if they are at CES in Vegas then late Spring would sound about right.  Or we can hope anyway!
"Alright this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So word of advice: if you meet yourself on the testing track don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time - entirely. Forward and backward. So do both of yourselves a favor and let that handsome devil go about his business."
- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »

Yeah, if they are at CES in Vegas then late Spring would sound about right.  Or we can hope anyway!
Maybe I can find out something soon. If I do I will let everyone know as soon as I do. I am curious on $$ as well.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
Latest FB video on Acurite's page indicates April/May. I would think we'll see FCC filings soon as well.

Offline Mehdi

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:31 AM »

Yikes! Get well soon, George!

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:59 AM »

Hope you're recovering quickly George, get well!

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
George...get well quickly.  We all miss you!

anything