Author Topic: Heavy Weather Error  (Read 5773 times)

Offline McFlyfi

Heavy Weather Error
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
I'm running HW Beta 2.0 on a an XP machine current updates through late Nov 09. It's been running nearly continuously since Nov 21, 09. I'm also running a webcam. The weather updates once an hour, the camera every two hours, all by dial up, as this is at a remote cabin.
A month ago, I got a Heavy Weather error that basically paralyzed the machine:
The instruction "0x10003d70" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate program
My wife was there a week later to shut down and re-start the computer. It ran for a couple of hours before the error made its appearance again. A Week later, I was back, uninstalled the HW, ran a defrag and clean disk, reinstalled HW, and hoped for the best.
The system ran fine for a week, and Sunday the error was back. I was up there today and un-installed the HW again. I am taking the weather station off line until I can resolve this- Any one have any ideas?

The frustrating thing is that it basically locks up the computer until someone can get there and shut the computer down. I have scheduled Windows restarts twice a day (through VWS) and am going to add a Windows based re start, but even periodic re-starts don't seem to prevent it from happening, and merely shutting down the computer manually and re-starting it manually doesn't "fix" it.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Heavy Weather Error
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:13:45 AM »
That kind of sounds more like a machine generated error message vs. HW program. Have you tried reseating and/or swapping positions of the memory cards? If you have more than one card and if reseating them doesn't cure it try running with just one then the other to see if it can be localized? Hope it helps.

Dan

Offline McFlyfi

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:08:54 AM »
Thanks, Dan.
I will check that out next time I'm up.
I have done a bit of checking on the error message, it is possible that there are a couple of things causing the error.
I plan on doing some serious cleanup on this machine to get it down to basics so the system isn't taxed by a lot of extraneous things going on.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:32:44 AM »
We recently had a phone line connected up on our "weekend getaway" in the hills. I also have been contemplating what you've done. I still haven't decided though, frequent sticky fingered villagers pass through. :roll:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:34:52 AM by DanS »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:08:49 PM »

It appears to be a general protection fault, caused by a bug in the program.

You should dump Heavyweather altogether, it is a resource hog and not reliable.

Offline McFlyfi

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »

It appears to be a general protection fault, caused by a bug in the program.

You should dump Heavyweather altogether, it is a resource hog and not reliable.

I'm all for it. I'm assuming I can use WUHU in place of the HW?
Realistically, I wanted a OS system, I didn't like having the extra layer that the Lacrosse adds with the HeavyWeather.
It wouldn't hurt to try the WUHU.

Thanks!

We recently had a phone line connected up on our "weekend getaway" in the hills. I also have been contemplating what you've done. I still haven't decided though, frequent sticky fingered villagers pass through. :roll:
Dan, I have often thought the same thing. We have one of the highest concentrations of meth heads in the California very close by. I think the meth makes them too fuzzy to drive the mountain roads and brave the snow in winter. There's enough low hanging fruit down in the valley to keep them busy, I guess.

Matt

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:10 AM »

If you use WUHU, use direct serial mode rather than file monitoring mode where HW is used.

If you have problems, post in the Yahoo forum for help.