Author Topic: WS 2811 and Weather Display program  (Read 5804 times)

Offline orion_jb2001

WS 2811 and Weather Display program
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
Hi,

Just some technical help.  I am aware that 3rd party weather programs sometimes use dat files to gather their data.  The WS 2811 I believe refreshs its history dat file to a minimum of onece every minute.  Obviously 1 minute data to an active weather display would be a bit slow.  In reading the data on Weather Display program, it can use WS 2810/11 data, whilst heavy wether program is also runnig (not so with earlier Lacrosse models) but using the currdat.lst file.

Now my question is what is the difference between the history dat file and the currdat.lst in regards to speed of data refresh, apart from my knowledge that the history dat file can updates once a minute.

I currently have a WS2355, cabled, which refreshs data to Weather Display program about every 8 seconds.  Will I get a faster refresh using the WS 2811?

Jeff

Offline pierce

Re: WS 2811 and Weather Display program
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »
I have a WS2812, which I believe is the same as a 2811, just a US 'big box' discount store version, the faceplate on the display panel might be different.

First, set the WS2812 in its 'rapid' mode via Heavy Weather (Tools -> Options, and check "Keep weather station in high speed mode".  this updates currdata.1st pretty frequently.   Catch-22, the currdat file only has the latest reading, not any history.   

now, in Weather Display, on its control panel, Station Type tab, on the "ELV/LaCross/....." tab, there's a box to the top right for "Heavy Weather Import/WS2810", and check the 'use currdat.1st for data source' and the 'every 5 second update' boxes.  select location for currdat.lst file, and of all the awful places, its in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data"  on my XP system.  I also check 'use gust data'

don't select any other weather station options (if they are selected, click the 'none selected' at the bottom, close/save, and come back).

now you'll get data every 5 seconds or so.... however.   GUST data isn't being processed at present :((    weather display is just taking the peak of the average readings, which is not the same as the locally tracked 'gust' value in heavy weather, or on the stations panel.  :(

one downside about this setup (and its the only one I could get working) is that since its not looking at history.dat (and it can't read the history.dat files from the WS281x version of Heavy Weather),  if your software is offline for any reason, the data is lost to Weather Display, and Wunderground or whereever you up it to.

anything