Author Topic: Program Problem.  (Read 11541 times)

Offline harbour2929

Program Problem.
« on: June 15, 2008, 05:51:03 AM »
I own a WS-3600 weather station and have been having trouble trying to use the HeavyWeather software that came with it. My laptop has no serial port so I have purchased a Serial to USB digital device adapter to connect the weather station to my computer. Whenever I connect them there appears to be data downloading but every single time I have gotten the following message and the whole thing stops. No data is recorded and the program stops.
The message is:
Program Heavyweather.exe
Assertion Failed
File.\I2CDriver.cpp
Line 102
Expression: IsOpened()
Do you have any idea what is going wrong with my machine and or the setup of the Heavyweather program? Please help me to get this working properly.........
Many thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
Re: Program Problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:29:20 AM »
Have you tried using a different Serial to USB adapter. It is hit and miss which ones work.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:54:50 AM »

The most reliable USB to serial adapter that I have used is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107906&Tpk=guc232a

The latest drivers from the IOGear site are required.

I was able to use WUHU with that adapter to talk to a WS-3610 but I do not recall if Heavyweather Pro worked with it.

The communications scheme used on the WS-36XX stations uses the handshake lines rather than normal serial communications. That being the case, the scheme requires 10x the number of interactions with the serial port (and in turn calls by the software).

If at all possible, use a computer that has a real serial port.

Offline harbour2929

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 04:22:24 AM »
Many thanks for your help. I'll get my hands one of the IOGear cables and see how I go...........
Regards............

Offline harbour2929

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:58:50 AM »
Hi folks,

Got my hands on the IoGear cable and when I connect the computer to the station the activity cable light comes on and the current weather stats come up in the Heavy Weather screen, BUT even though the program is indicating that the station is communicating with the computer no history is being transferred across. What am I missing here? Can anyone help me please? Also, I don't seem to have a history.dat file from installation. Is this file generated when the data is transferred? Thanks in advance for your help.........

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:08:01 AM »
History.dat is generated when HW writes its data to it.

As I understand the operation, the computer polls the station console for data. Then that data is displayed and written to the History.dat file.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:23:38 AM »

Since you have a WS-3600, you should be running HW Pro (not the regular HW software). Under the Extras, Options menu you configure the program's history file location.

Offline harbour2929

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:05:49 PM »
Hi,

I am running HW Pro and I have checked the file location for the dat file. Thanks for your assistance but still nothing is happening. No info is being written to the data file. Is there a setting on the WS-3600 that I should be looking at? I can't find anywhere where I set the data points either on the console or in the software. Thanks for your help with all of this......

Kind regards......

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:33:44 AM »
Hi,

I am running HW Pro and I have checked the file location for the dat file. Thanks for your assistance but still nothing is happening. No info is being written to the data file. Is there a setting on the WS-3600 that I should be looking at? I can't find anywhere where I set the data points either on the console or in the software. Thanks for your help with all of this......

Kind regards......

Have you set the console time including the DST and Zone? I think the RCC (radio time option) must also be enabled even if it is not used.

Offline harbour2929

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:41:24 AM »
Thanks for all your help, but I don't know what DST is, I can't find it in setup, can you explain please?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »
Thanks for all your help, but I don't know what DST is, I can't find it in setup, can you explain please?

Day light saving time (ON or OFF).

After you hit 'Setup' at the bottom of the screen, DST and RCC should be an option.

Also, make sure you set the time.

Offline harbour2929

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »
Thanks for all your help mate..... My weather station doesn't have a setting for DST and I don't have a data point setting box in the Extras / Options. So I guess for whatever reason this is not going to work for me which is a pain as this was one of the main reasons I bought this weather station. Still, I very much appreciate your assistance - much obliged......

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 12:34:07 PM »
Thanks for all your help mate..... My weather station doesn't have a setting for DST and I don't have a data point setting box in the Extras / Options. So I guess for whatever reason this is not going to work for me which is a pain as this was one of the main reasons I bought this weather station. Still, I very much appreciate your assistance - much obliged......

Just to let you know, I was refering to the console setup, not anything in the Heavyweather Application.

If you touch the bottom line of the console screen, you will see "Setup", touch that. Hit Next to walk through the options.

RCC and DST should be options as well as setting up your relative pressure, units, etc.

I am pretty sure that unless you enable the RCC the history does not work for whatever reason.

Setting the time/date on the console might also be a requirement.

Have you entered the Setup on the console before?

Offline harbour2929

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:38 AM »
Yep - I've been through the setup screens and I don't have a DST option. I do have RCC and I have set that to 'on'. Time and date have been set from the beginning. Beats me why I can't generate any data points. Where is the frequency for that setup? Thanks again......

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Yep - I've been through the setup screens and I don't have a DST option. I do have RCC and I have set that to 'on'. Time and date have been set from the beginning. Beats me why I can't generate any data points. Where is the frequency for that setup? Thanks again......

After the HW Pro software has communicated with the station and retrieved the current data, a new option under the Extra/Options appears.

It has an "update interval" setting and and "update" button.

Maybe you have not done that procedure yet so it is not saving history.